Arc 7: Royal Deceit (201)

That dream, it was different and lucid. The first one replayed where she saw her siblings die. But, the ending is different. It wasn't her who is running away from the soldiers. It was Gu Zixing. He just appeared in her dream, so different from the gentle Gu Zixing before her. The 'him' in that dream looked very ruthless. He watched with cold eyes as his soldiers ravaged the once prosperous palaces. He stepped on the blood-dyed stone pavements where countless servants and concubines fell. In the end, he stopped in front of a lady in golden empress robes. She didn't see who it was but she just knew Gu Zixing is angry at that woman. He raised the bloody sword he holds and lashed it down. However, Hong Cha suddenly woke up after.

Why did he get involve?

Hong Cha sobbed, she bit her lip and appreciated his comforting touch. Gu Zixing slowly advanced. He removed his outer robe and used its sleeve to wipe her tears. Hong Cha tried to avoid looking at his body. Her face unknowingly turned crimson and her anguish receded. She was stunned with his care, he even cleaned her snots. Gu Zixing folded his robe before leaning farther from her.

"Had a bad dream?" He softly asked. Hong Cha nodded but she didn't understand one thing. Before, whenever these nightmares arrive, she need hours to recover. But not even a minute later, Gu Zixing was able to comfort her. "Was it your family?"

"I miss them." Hong Cha propped her head on her folded arms that are resting atop her knees. She closed her eyes, only to see vague images of her family. "They...they were killed. Our oldest, he should be the one deserving to live. Why does he have to die? I'm... I'm incapable of anything, I'm just a prostitute now. I miss him the most, he'll surely be angry if he knows what I have become."

"Miss Song, don't be grieving for this. Everything happens for a reason." Gu Zixing rubbed her head. The young girl looked up to him and sighed.

"They won't be back." Hong Cha murmured.

"I can be your brother." He suggested. Hong Cha was stupefied with what he said. Gu Zixing was sincere and he smilingly told her, "If you want to, I'll be your brother. I vow to comfort you when you are this vulnerable and dry your tears away. Need anything, Little Cha?"

"Y-you, why are you like this?"

"Like what?" Gu Zixing asked in a clueless way. What's wrong with him? He's not being a creep, is he?

"Like this, you're too nice. You just met me today. You don't even know everything about me. Why are you so kind?" She had never met anyone like him. If he is this kind, does this mean he trusts her?

"I'm always nice, only to those deserving kindness. Though we only met hours ago, I know you are someone with a good heart. You don't even know how to entice me even if you are a prostitute." A chuckle escaped his lips. She look silly that time, where she is unsure if she seduce him then or not. Gu Zixing tucked her hair and smiled warmly. "So, Xiao Cha, is there anything you need?"

"No more. Thank you." She shook her head in return. She already caused a fuss, she'd be ashamed to not give him rest.

Once Gu Zixing left, Hong Cha relaxed. She thought deeply of what just happened. Is she relying on him? Wasn't he part of Warlord Bai's commandants? He's part of the reason An fell but he treated her right even if he knew she is a refugee. She can try betting her trust on him. Hopefully, he brings her out of the brothel soon.

Hong Cha parted unwillingly the next day. She returned to the brothel with Gu Zixing sending her back. Before they can enter it's opened doors, Hong Cha turned to him.

"Sir Nian, if I go back, they will sell me again..." She was troubled of this fact. Hong Cha understood that after her first service, more men will look for her. She's been entertaining them before and they told her shamelessly they will buy her if the Madame wishes.

"I'll talk with the madame. Rest assured, nothing wrong can happen." Gu Zixing coaxed. He gave her two satchels. One that is a bit empty and the other was filled with taels. "Use the money for your needs. There are pink jade earrings on the other satchel. Each of them have different designs. Wear them often so everyone will know you are my woman. The earrings' class can prove you are owned by a wealthy person. In that way, they won't dare take you easily."

"Many thanks." Hong Cha showed a delighted smile, not for the expensive earrings but because of his generosity. This man, though feminine looking and not the ideal one she dreamt of, is definitely one of the best fellow a girl can wish for to be their husband. However, his identity, she doesn't know well. Thus, she can't like him. "Sir Nian, when will you come back?"

"When I have a leisure time. Twice a week perhaps. Take care." Gu Zixing smiled to her in their farewell. The young girl nodded and left with a cheerful spirit. He turned his gaze to the balcony where other prostitutes tried to tempt passerbys. Hopefully, she won't be like them.

"Look, our meimei is back!" Hong Cha returned to their dorms behind the brothel and was greeted by her seniors. It was Li Shuai who went forward to hug her. Li Shuai is the most popular in the brothel. The other two were Xiao Nou and Sun Shao Na, second to Li Shuai. They were all beauties of great seduction skills and they guide and protect Hong Cha. The three of them were once captives too so they understand her situation.

"Little Sister Hong, was it alright?" Xiao Nou asked with worry and tried to lift Hong Cha's skirt. The young girl jumped a bit from being startled and held down her skirt. Her red face and movements made them laugh.

"How is the first time, meimei? Did it go well or was he rough?" Sun Shao Na inquired and stepped closer. Hong Cha's face became more red, feeling as if her head will burst from the embarrassment.

"Oh, Shaoshao, you should know first time hurts. Unless the guy have a small package." Li Shuai grinned as the two giggled. "So, meimei, did you get hurt? Is that Commander Nian Xiaoyuan good or bad? Is it big too?"

"Please... Stop." Hong Cha thought. She won't dare think of Gu Zixing that way, although, he does look like an admired young master.