Arc 7: Royal Deceit (229)

Droplet of tears fell uncontrollably. The lonely young girl remained sitting on a marble bench beneath a maple tree. Her shoulder shook from time to time and her suppressed sobs sounds like a broken lullaby. Hong Cha didn't expect someone will give her a handkerchief. She also didn't foresee it was Zhao Xue.

"Young Miss, please accept." She smiled at Hong Cha and offered the handkerchief closer. Hong Cha hesitated. "I saw what happened. I know how you feel."

"I don't know what you're saying." Hong Cha shut her eyes and looked away. Zhao Xue held her hand, she placed the handkerchief on Hong Cha's palm and sat next to her.

"I am also a nobody." Zhao Xue started. She gazed at the clear autumn pond with a longing look. "I also liked this prince. He was admired by a lot of rich young ladies. Even princesses sought for his agreement in marriage, only to end up brokenhearted. I am just a maid and I know it is forbidden to love him. When I thought I am his, he is also mine, but no. People ridiculed me because I am a nobody who demands for a revered prince's attention."

Hong Cha turned to Zhao Xue. Her tears are about to fall but she wiped them away and smiled bitterly. Hong Cha felt sorry for Zhao Xue, she is in love with Gu Chi Lian? But a man like him, no beauty will be enough. Zhao Xue is pretty enough to be mistaken as a noble lady but her status is a barrier.

"You've been Gu Zixing's maid for years, right?" Hong Cha asked curiously. Zhao Xue nodded as her answer. "Do you think he likes Se Hong?"

"I am sure. Do you want to know the truth?" Zhao Xue carefully said. She appeared concerned and Hong Cha resolutely agreed. "I was given to Prince Yun a year after Miss Se was taken to the northern regimen. She and Prince Yun has been betrothed since young however, no elders made it official yet. Miss Se is at her right age and bound to marry Prince Yun. Everyone thinks they are a perfect pair. They are childhood sweethearts too. But, His Highness the Second Prince tried to force Miss Se. Miss Se's grandfather was angered by Tian's audacity to protect the Second Prince from his crime so he cancelled the engagement and took Miss Se at north."

"What about her parents?" Hong Cha got confused.

"Miss Se's mother is Warlord Bai's only daughter who died from a heart disease. Miss Se's father is the grand general of Tian so he couldn't just leave his position. A year later, I started serving Prince Yun. He stays up late for some reason and I got curious. Prince Yun trusted me so he told me he will leave Tian to look for a special girl at Warlord Bai's territory. I kept it a secret and assumed it was Miss Se. My guess wasn't wrong. Prince Yun wanted to be where Miss Se is. At seventeen, Prince Yun risked it all and left Tian. I knew in those four years, he is with Miss Se. I am sorry, Miss Hong, but Prince Yun only had eyes for Miss Se. House Gu's main branch now only allows monogamy."

On the other side, Gu Zixing is with his father. He noticed Meng Ziyan looking at him suspiciously. Gu Zixing knew she is wondering where Hong Cha went. He doesn't know because at the moment he wanted to look for her, Se Xunyi arrived. Se Xunyi is Gu Zixing's master and he doesn't like seeing his daughter unhappy after what happened years ago. Gu Zixing wasn't given a choice.

"Prince Feng, Master of House Gu!" The Head Eunuch introduced the royal family for everyone to greet. Gu Shang stood up and the guests below them bowed and greeted. "Prince Yun, Heir of House Gu!"

No one made an appearance. Gu Shang cleared his throat and Gu Zixing recovered. He unhurriedly stood up.

"We wish Your Highness good health and blessed fortune!"

When they looked up, Gu Zixing is gone. The royal family members all stared at one direction where Gu Zixing rushed.

"Shang, Xiao Xing seemed to be preoccupied?" The emperor Gu Hai asked. He heard from the Head Eunuch that a scene occurred outside the banquet hall and that involves Gu Zixing. "Isn't he too kind to pity a girl humiliated in just?"

"What can I say? Our Zi'er was born with that temper. Moreover, the girl that was humiliated is the daughter-in-law Ziyan and I is grooming."

"Miss Hong, you have another path ahead you." Zhao Xue got off the bench and gestured for Hong Cha to follow her. "I haven't mentioned but my real name is Mi Yan, back when I was serving the Crown Prince. He is very interested with Miss Hong, and I have proof. Follow me."

Hong Cha didn't think twice. Her emotions are uncontrollable and her thoughts were muddled. She trusted Zhao Xue unknowingly. Zhao Xue led her to a different way farther from the banquet hall.

"Here we are." Zhao Xue stopped by a moon gate. She lit up a lantern and handed it to Hong Cha. Zhao Xue turned away, secretly covering her nose with her sleeve. "Miss Hong, head forward the courtyard. The Crown Prince used to study here. You will find a small residence there and you will know the proof I mentioned. Let us face it, Miss Hong. Prince Yun can't be yours, the only way left is the Crown Prince."

Hong Cha knitted her brows. She reluctantly entered the dark courtyard. Zhao Xue's smile faded. Her gaze became cold and a figure appeared behind her.

"Xue'er is really obedient." Gu Chi Lian pinched her chin. He leaned down to whisper, "I'll take everything from here. Don't worry, you can get rid of Se Hong too. I will protect you."

Zhao Xue calmly nodded although she felt disgusted. She had risked everything, including her purity just so Gu Zixing will notice her.