Arc 7: Royal Deceit (269)

Fortunately, Nian Xiaoyuan didn't press on the matter and forced her to go out with him again. Hong Cha was careful with her words this time. She was afraid when she heard him say he will be the last for her. In fact, she have no thoughts of engaging with other men. Her heart had died the moment Gu Zixing's death was confirmed. She is like a lifeless puppet of Gu Jiaoyue at the moment. But, when she arrived in Xuan, her monotonous life changed. Unfortunately, she can't enjoy the change because it was filled with negativity brought by a rogue.

Nian Xiaoyuan took her to a mountaintop using the steed they tamed together. He actually named it Xiao Cha, and she feels insulted every time he speaks with the steed. He knows how to make her day worse than ever.

The mountaintop is colder than the capital below. Gentle breeze flows around, causing green lush foliages to rustle softly. There is a wide grassy plane in the middle with countless rock formations. It looks fascinating at first but too simple she got bored looking around.

"I like it up here." Nian Xiaoyuan spoke from behind her. He let Xiao Cha go and the steed immediately ran away. Hong Cha frowned at him but Nian Xiaoyuan didn't know. He was not as playful or annoying like before. He leaned on the tree and closed his eyes as if to rest. "It's where I go whenever I want to be alone."

Hong Cha tilted her head. "Why are you telling me? You're not afraid I will inform others?"

"Do whatever you want, I won't die that easily." Nian Xiaoyuan laughed at her retort. They both knew she is a potential spy of Tian but he told her his sanctuary. He doesn't know what has gotten into him.

"So, you want to be lonely?" She curiously asked. For a man with great power, he have so many companion to choose of. Why does he have to seek refuge here? It's too desolate.

"... I'm always lonely." Nian Xiaoyuan opened his eyes, his gaze was hooded and unfathomable.

Hong Cha's frown deepened. Why is he telling her his laments? They only knew each other for five days at most.

"Why are you telling me?" She questioned and felt his unfeeling eyes fall on her. There was no sound.

Shāāā!

Nian Xiaoyuan reflexively pulled Hong Cha behind a rock and caught the arrow that tried to pierce her. Hong Cha was stunned when his cold hand held her again. She heard calm footsteps surround then and Nian Xiaoyuan's grip tightened.

"Your Highness." A familiar voice called out. Hong Cha raised her head and tried to look behind the rock.

"Che." Nian Xiaoyuan grinned. "Your so-called righteous Emperor Yong is sure impatient, hehe."

"We are here to ensure Her Highness' safety." Lou Ying glanced at the thin figure behind the rough rock and saw Nian Xiaoyuan's grip. "Haven't you caused enough trouble for the Imperial Consort?"

"Maybe. But not this." Nian Xiaoyuan raised his fist and used his teeth to remove the clothing on the edge of his wristband, revealing a sharp blade. He pulled Hong Cha forward and brought the blade to her neck. "What is your real purpose? Was it to tail the consort or assassinate me?"

Lou Ying's eyes darkened. He thought Nian Xiaoyuan won't go this far to even use Hong Cha's life, doesn't he realize Gu Jiaoyue will be enraged if she gets hurt?

"Tian will forgive your audacity. Let Her Highness come with us." Lou Ying stretched his hand forward, recalling his other mission. Aside form killing Nian Xiaoyuan, he must also ensure Hong Cha's safety and bring her back to Tian.

"Are you kidding?" Nian Xiaoyuan wanted to laugh. Tian and Xuan are about to raise red flags but they wanted to threaten him like this? Ridiculous!

"Lou Ying, I'm alright." The silent Hong Cha finally made a sound. She didn't speak for herself but for Nian Xiaoyuan. Though there is a blade close to her, he didn't bring it close to her neck, proving his pure intention.

"Don't meddle." Nian Xiaoyuan looked at her. He tossed her aside and poisoned darts quickly sent to him. Nian Xiaoyuan avoided proficiently but Lou Ying charged forward. The dagger clashed with a sturdy jian sword, however, Nian Xiaoyuan wasn't losing.

Hong Cha tried to stand up and realized her veil had fallen. She doesn't need to worry about her identity and turned to the side. Lou Ying was fighting Nian Xiaoyuan with his subordinates and if it continues, Nian Xiaoyuan may lose his life. Hong Cha thought it was for the better if Nian Xiaoyuan dies. She planned of staying at the side when Nian Xiaoyuan threw Lou Ying away. Hong Cha's eyes widened to see a familiar face.

Still the same slender sword-eyebrows, straight nose, thin peach blossom lips and lovely eyes. A pretty man she had long dreamt of, but his pupils are no longer the gentle amber orbs, rather ash grey as if everything he sees are bland.

Hong Cha's steady heart tightened and drummed, seeing the wound on his waist. Without thinking, she rushed forward.

"Lou Ying, stop!" She embraced Nian Xiaoyuan and had him lean on a rock. Hong Cha held back her unspeakable feelings and turned to Lou Ying. "Tell His Majesty I am alright. I will definitely bring the peace treaty back to Tian."

"This..." Lou Ying glanced at Nian Xiaoyuan. He wonders if that face reminds Hong Cha of her past, causing her to intervene.

"We can't offend Xuan!" Hong Cha prompted grimly. It convinced Lou Ying and he made his comrades retreat.

"Your Highness, please don't make trouble. He is dead." Lou Ying too gave her a reminder before leaving.

Hong Cha is clear of what Lou Ying said. Gu Zixing is dead, he was given a poison that gives him a few months to live but every day that will pass, pain will overcome his body. It is either he had killed himself from too much pain or he died from the poison. This was the reason she studied medicine and even sought for Alexander's help. Yet, she was too late.