Arc 7: Royal Deceit (218)

Finally, the capital city is within their sight. Gu Zixing is calm but Hong Cha is anxious. She thought this will be the last time they will be together. She keeps stealing glimpses of him. Gu Zixing noticed even though he is looking outside the window. He sighed, knowing she is restless.

"Gu Zixing, where will I go?" She spoke. Her question broke their silence.

"To the palace. You will live there with the empress." Gu Zixing informed. She can't possibly follow him in House Gu. She is not related to the royal family, she is only related to the empress.

Hong Cha looked down. She nervously wrung the string of her satchel. Is she ready to part now?

"Can I still see you?" She bravely asked. Gu Zixing was a bit surprised with her question. Hong Cha glanced upwards and mumbled, "I will surely miss you."

Gu Zixing huffed. He leaned closer and placed his hand under her chin, slowly lifting her gaze to him. Gu Zixing smiled as if to assure her.

"I am still a prince. I can get in the palace without a problem. We won't be that apart." Gu Zixing laughingly said. This is what he was also pondering over. He felt that if she leaves, they will become indifferent to each other once they meet again. He didn't expect she will miss him.

The palace gate stood tall and imposing unlike An Country's. Hong Cha cautiously held Gu Zixing's hand and stood close to him as they proceeded inside. Gu Zixing spoke to a eunuch first who brought men carrying a sedan. Hong Cha was permitted to sit there, she is a guest of a royal family member, they can't afford offending her.

Gu Zixing was given a steed. He led the way with the sedan behind him. He wanted to surprise Gu Jiaoyue and his Auntie Empress. She will surely be elated to finally meet her niece. On their way, they met an unexpected person. It was a young prince about Gu Zixing's age. The imperial garden is wide but the prince is close to the cobblestone path they are walking. He look quite sly but charming, proofs were the beauties surrounding him in the pavilion.

"Zixing, quite surprising you brought a beautiful lady over here." The prince noticed them and stood up. Gu Zixing have to stop but didn't bother to pay respect, his rank is higher than the other.

"Chi Lian, you already have enough women with you." Gu Zixing glanced at the coquettish women. One of them even bit her lip and winked at him. Gu Zixing scoffed in his mind. "She is a guest of Auntie Empress."

"Oh." Gu Chi Lian turned to Hong Cha. She avoided his gaze, the uncomfortable feeling rising in her heart. She wanted to leave immediately because she doesn't feel safe with Gu Chi Lian around.

"Chi Lian." Gu Zixing reigned the steed and blocked Gu Chi Lian's view. He lowered his tone so others won't hear him. "Respect the young miss, please."

"Of course, this prince won't dare to be rude to a fair lady." Gu Chi Lian tittered. He turned his back and added, "First Brother left with Empress Qing to the south. They will be back, probably before the month ends."

Gu Zixing frowned. If that is the case, Hong Cha can't live here. He turned to her and decided, she will go with him in House Gu.

Gu Chi Lian kept his gaze at the departing sedan. His lips rose to an arch. "Definitely not his woman."

"Gu Zixing." Hong Cha caught up with him and walked closer with Gu Zixing. She recalled how he stepped up for her. Her instinct just tells her a moment ago that Gu Chi Lian isn't someone good. But, Gu Zixing blocked his sight for her. She smiled sheepishly and tucked her hair behind her ear. "Gu Zixing, thank you."

"It's nothing." Gu Zixing didn't even look at her. He was thinking about his family, he had arrived. After so many years at north. Gu Zixing faced Hong Cha and patted her head. "I promised to protect you, didn't I? And, Camellia, you must be careful around him, alright? He is the second prince, Gu Chi Lian. He have a lot of concubines and bed servants. Don't trust him."

"Why so cautious?" Hong Cha curiously asked.

"Chi Lian isn't that bad when we were kids. He used to play with me and study with Jiaoyue. But, as we grow up, he changed. His maternal cousins influenced him, he even harassed the girl betrothed to me. That was in the past though. I just hope he wont-, he won't do the same to you." Gu Zixing said with concern in his voice. He failed to protect that girl and he is correcting it now, with Hong Cha too.

"Then, where is this girl?" She became more drawn to his story. Especially when he mentioned someone betrothed to him.

"She left Tian with her grandfather. Our engagement was cancelled but I was fine with that." He smiled in assurance. Gu Zixing repeated in his thoughts, he won't fail Hong Cha, he will protect her from any harm. "Since Auntie Empress and Jiaoyue aren't here, stay in House Gu for some time."

House Gu is not far from being called a palace. It is ten times prosperous than Hong Family's manor. Hong Cha's arrival with Gu Zixing naturally earned a lot of curious looks. Gu Zixing is famous, not only in the capital but also in House Gu where pretty young maids works. He is known for being single for years. The young him was so captivating he became an idol of ladies, just like the well-known Pan An. He left when he was sixteen or seventeen. Four years later, he returned, more mature than his teenager self. It is enough to cause some of them to faint but Hong Cha, walking next to him, is not pleasing to their eyes.

She is definitely beautiful too. What scared them is that there is a possibility she is Gu Zixing's woman?!