Arc 7: Royal Deceit (213)

Hong Cha's nails dug on the cushion sheet of the divan, she lowered her head in defeat. "I scraped my knee. I was trying to fetch a medicine for you, so you can recover fast. It was just that-, the medicine was high and I tried my best to grab it but I fell. Sir Alex only wanted to help. I can't walk properly... If you think it's inappropriate for him to clean my wound, then I will just rinse it myself without any man helping me. I know a bit of medicines too so... You can rest assured."

Gu Zixing was left speechless. He didn't know, he was just too paranoid. In his mind, Hong Cha can't be close with her opposite gender because she is rightful for Gu Jiaoyue. He had expected Gu Jiaoyue and Empress Qing agreed for a political marriage due to their circumstances. Gu Jiaoyue is not the Empress' biological son. If he gets crowned the heir, Empress Qing can't be the Empress Dowager, no one will. So, for Gu Jiaoyue to repay her kindness, he seeks for her relative that he can marry and Empress Qing will then be qualified to be the Empress Dowager.

Either fortunate or not, Gu Zixing found Hong Cha, the only relative Empress Qing has. She is the only chance Gu Jiaoyue have for finally unifying a powerful faction. No other prince too is good enough to become the next emperor because even House Gu wants to support Gu Jiaoyue. But, if Hong Cha falls in love with another man on their way to the city, it will be Gu Zixing's fault for not guarding her. This is what bothers him.

"Hey, Lucky, you're back!" Alexander said upon arrival. Gu Zixing's given title as Yun wang can be translated as lucky prince. But it seems he is in a wrong timing.

"Sir Alex, no need for that. I can do it myself." Hong Cha stood up and she instantly felt the sharp pain taking over her system. She kept it hidden and limped a step forward. Unexpectedly, Gu Zixing picked her up and snatched the kit from Alexander.

"Let me do it." He said, both to Hong Cha and Alexander.

"Well, did those two quarrel or what?" Alexander thought and looked at them. "Ah, young love..."

Hong Cha was left in the bathroom to clean herself first before Gu Zixing applies the medicine. She can't help blushing while wondering, "Was he jealous just now? Did he think I like Sir Alex? Does he fancy me? Oh my, what should I do? What should I do?!"

"Miss Hong?" Gu Zixing called and tapped the door lightly with his knuckle.

"Y-yes?" She tried to sound normal but her voice raised like a duck. Hong Cha covered her mouth.

"Is everything fine?"

"Holy monk! Holy monk! He is concerned!" Hong Cha's head was spinning as she assumed things to another level. She cleared her throat and mumbled, "I, I'm alright."

Gu Zixing went at ease. He went back to the bedside table where he had everything prepared. Kong, the macaw, jumped on the windowsill and hopped closer.

"Master, there's a girl downstairs looking for you."

"Who?" His brows furrowed.

Gu Zixing headed to the window and cautiously looked outside. Kong flew down to where Alexander was. He was talking to a cloaked girl with her hood lowered. Gu Zixing saw her face and his guard decreased.

The girl left with a devastated look and headed to the forest. Gu Zixing was pondering deeply when he heard the door open. He turned back to speak with Hong Cha but his words were stuck to his throat. She is only wearing a soft towel!

He was struck, he was hurried with worry and forgot to bring her a bathrobe. Gu Zixing wanted to speak and look away but Hong Cha got ahead.

"Sir Gu, I can't walk properly." She said as if she was wronged.

Gu Zixing was in a state of panic. He kept thinking of disregarding her appearance and quickly helped her reach the bed. His gaze lowered to see the wound on her knee. It had stopped bleeding but the sight of it on a girl like her is pitiful. He also noticed her palm was rougher than before. Gu Zixing raised her hands to find out the scratches on it.

"You could have let Alexander do it." He unhappily stated.

"I wanted to make an effort for your sake." Hong Cha rebutted but this made both of them stop. Her face blushed. She but her lip and added, "Sir Gu, I also worry for you."

Gu Zixing doesn't know how to respond for a moment. He somehow deduced it as a half confession. It can't be she likes him? No, not right!

"Miss Hong, do you know the real reason I sought for you?" He asked carefully and applied the pounded leaves on her knee. He did it gently so she won't cry in pain.

"My aunt is looking for me, wasn't she?"

"Wrong. That is not the real reason." Gu Zixing decided to tell her the truth. "You are her closest relative left and you do know she fostered my cousin, Gu Jiaoyue. For her full support and for Gu Jiaoyue to repay her kindness, he wants her to become the Empress Dowager. The only way left is that you must marry him. On the grounds of your bloodline with Empress Qing, she have the rights to be the Empress Dowager."

Hong Cha frowned. She looked at Gu Zixing who finished wrapping her knee with gauze.

"Your point is?"

"You can't be with other men, other than him." He straightforwardly said.

It insulted Hong Cha indirectly. She doesn't like this feeling.

"That's not true! I can like whoever I want. Even though Prince Brother and I were close, I never saw him as my husband." Hong Cha countered.

"No, this is why I am informing you. There is a possibility-"

"Sir Gu, I don't want to marry him! If I were to have a husband, it would be someone like you!"

Her shout caused another freezing silence. Hong Cha's expression softened, from annoyance to bewilderment. Gu Zixing was taken aback. None of them spoke but then, Hong Cha looked away and pointed at the door.

"Get out, I want to rest, leave me alone."

Gu Zixing looked at her and nodded. When the door closed, he leaned on it and her words kept repeating in his head.

"Marry someone like me...? Why?" He was at loss of what to say.