Arc 7: Royal Deceit (272)

It was sudden and strange for Hong Cha. The next day, Nian Xiaoyuan didn't show up to pester her like he used to. It happened for the second time but on the third time, she was walking around the garden to relieve boredom and met him by chance. He was with his comrades, giving solemn orders that they won't even dare refute. But, when he saw Hong Cha ahead, his despotic attitude became warm and playful. He even waved his hand and smiled a bit, although that smile was prudent, it was enough to make him look so kind.

Hong Cha looked away and left hurriedly with her maids. Her reaction made Nian Xiaoyuan unhappy and his subordinates became more afraid.

"Am I that ugly?" He unconsciously asked. They heard him and exchanged glances.

"Warlord Xuan is not. How else will so many ladies admire Warlord Xuan?"

"Then why did she run away like I have some sort of plague?" Nian Xiaoyuan turned to them for another answer but they are afraid to speak. Nian Xiaoyuan lightly rubbed his chin while muttering, "What's wrong if I smile? Does it make me ugly? Huh, it's really hard to understand women, hmph. Say, what's wrong if I smile? Answer honestly, I will give a generous reward, hurry."

"Er... Because it's scary...?"

Nian Xiaoyuan's smile stiffened. The officer who answered felt a chill into his bones. He wished to choke on a tofu right away...

"Oh." Unexpectedly, Nian Xiaoyuan didn't bestow any gruesome judgement and turned his back to them. However, they saw how his stiff smile became something amused. "I thought I'd look handsome this way, ah. It seems it's not good if I smile. Well, you can pick a young lady at the inner court later on."

The officers were stunned. In fact, Nian Xiaoyuan doesn't look scary when he smiles. It actually makes him more charming and dangerous for both genders too. But, the reason his smile is frightening is because it was a sign of bloodshed. They were used to Nian Xiaoyuan smiling haughtily in front of his enemies being slaughtered but a Nian Xiaoyuan smiling to impress a lady? Is the world about to end?!

Hong Cha have no thoughts of seeing Nian Xiaoyuan again. She doesn't want to take care of his obnoxiousness and needs a rest before being sent back to Tian whenever he decides to. Although she likes it in Tian, she also used this mean to stay away from Gu Jiaoyue. She can stand Nian Xiaoyuan's awful guest treatment, but not Gu Jiaoyue's manipulations. At least here in Xuan, she can breath better.

"Who?!" Hong Cha was startled when a big hand covered her eyes. She felt a strong arm around her waist and her back was pressed on a flat sturdy chest. Her brows furrowed but she can sense something familiar. More than a year of studying medicines and poisons, her nose is sensitive to a scent. She became angered immediately and her chest heaved. "Warlord Xuan, will you mind keeping a distance?"

"No." Nian Xiaoyuan chuckled. He lowered his hand and placed it dishonestly on her smooth stomach, rubbing it lightly to irritate her.

"Please remember I am married!" Hong Cha tried to contain her calmness. Why is he getting worse day by day? She thought he will finally leave her alone after she saved his life, but he was really a white-eyed wolf!

"To whom? Emperor Yong? That ruler you called a bastard?" Nian Xiaoyuan sneered and Hong Cha turned to him, confused. "Or, was it Gu Zixing?"

Hong Cha's eyes widened a bit. She pushed him the moment his hold loosened. "I don't have time for this."

"Hey!" He quickly stopped Hong Cha from leaving and made her face him. Nian Xiaoyuan can't stop his smile and his gaze became gentle to appreciate her current appearance. Hong Cha stared at him, at a loss, stunned as her eyes flashed traces of pain. He noticed her strange look towards him. "What? Is something wrong with my face? The last time you saw it, you ran away. The first time, you cried. Is it that horrible?"