Arc 7: Royal Deceit (231)

"Hong Ji!" Hong Cha shouted within the dark forest. She was crying helplessly, she doesn't know what to do. She can hear the angry shouts of northerners getting closer to her. "Hong Ji!"

She froze on her place when she heard rustles behind her. Hong Cha turned and saw Hong Ji. He didn't explain and hurriedly pulled her behind a tree. Hong Cha noticed he was breathing in difficulty and his armor was damaged. The scent of blood alarmed her. She raised her hand to find out it was dyed in red.

"Xiao Cha, listen." Hong Ji held her shaking hand. He wanted to comfort her but Hong Cha started crying.

"Hong Ji, you're bleeding." She panicked in fear of losing him too. Hong Cha had enough after her family was slaughtered. She can't let Hong Ji die...

"Don't worry, your elder brother is strong, I will be fine." Hong Ji smiled in assurance. He wiped her tears and comforted her. "Xiao Cha, listen, en? Don't make a sound. Hide by that ridge over there. Whatever happens, don't make a sound."

"What about you? You will follow, right?" She asked although she felt bad all of a sudden.

"Of course, I will. Trust me. Don't be afraid, I am here." He lied just to make her feel better. Hong Ji embraced her gently. "Xiao Cha, I want you to learn how to stand on your own. If you rely on someone too much, it won't do you anything good."

"I know, I will. But, you're still my knight, right? Right, Brother? You will still be there to protect me?" Hong Cha frantically questioned. "Promise me, please, promise!"

"Xiao Cha..." Hong Ji knew he can't keep that promise. "En, I promise. I will always protect my little sis. But if one day I can't, maybe, another brave knight will come along."

"He's lying." Her consciousness whispered. Hong Cha knew he lied. She heard the shouts of their enemy approaching. Hong Cha turned to Hong Ji. "I won't let you die. I can't let you be hurt, just like them."

"Xiao Cha, no!" Hong Ji held her back on time. He pushed her behind and ran forward. The enemies chased after Hong Ji.

Hong Cha fell on the ground. She looked up and saw Hong Ji fight desperately. It was his fate to face his father's opponents. Since, after their father died, Hong Ji continued his unfinished business. Hong Cha wanted to scream and shout his name but fear overwhelmed her. She hid in the dark shade of the ridge with her hands covering her quivering lips. She heard Hong Ji shout in pain and a while later, there was no sound. Hong Cha bit her lip as she curled herself. The pain was immeasurable. Another person broke his promise and left her...

"Liar..." She murmured, tears dropping like delicate snowflakes in a cold winter. "Liar, liar, liar!"

"Camellia, it's okay now." A soothing whisper caused her to open her eyes in surprise. Hong Cha sensed a familiar cool scent. She easily realized Gu Zixing is embracing her.

"Let me go! You're also lying! You hate me, don't you?!" Hong Cha felt terrible. She is feeling extreme pain and fear of being lied at. What if Gu Zixing is just like them?

"Camellia, stop!" Gu Zixing held her shoulders and looked straight into her tearful gaze. Hong Cha distinguished the struggle within his eyes. "Who told you I hate you? Can't you see how worried I was? If I hate you, will I bother saving you from Chi Lian? Will I bother to fight him? You don't know how afraid I was when I saw you being hurt!"

Hong Cha froze. She now realized what emotion she saw. Gu Zixing is very concerned.

"Camellia, you don't have to be afraid, I am here. Trust me." Gu Zixing slowly held her trembling hands. Hong Cha noticed she was shivering. Then, she teared up. She can't stop crying in remorse. "It's alright. I'm here, I promised to protect you, didn't I? I never break my promises, Camellia."

"Why do you have to fight? You could have hurt yourself! I cant-, I can't bear it if it happens, wu!"

"Okay, I won't fight anymore." Gu Zixing chuckled. He wiped her tears and snots. Gu Zixing felt his heartbeat pacing fast. She is so lovely and he likes it whenever she is reliant on him. "Camellia, I am so sorry I didn't defend you from Se Hong and I was too late."

"I, I'm the one who should be sorry. I was just too demanding. I should have known my place since, we are f-friends." She lowered her head and bit her lip. He only did that because they are friends.

All of a sudden, Gu Zixing leaned closer. He placed his hand underneath her chin to raise her head and kissed her. Hong Cha was taken aback. Instead of being repelled, she felt her heart thumping in bliss. Hong Cha convinced herself to push him, in fear after Gu Chi Lian resurfaced in her thoughts. Gu Zixing held her hand and softly whispered her name. His voice reminded her he is Gu Zixing, no one else.

"Do you still see me as your friend?" He moved further and without her answer, Gu Zixing kissed her.

The next moment, Gu Zixing parted. He no longer cares if he gets rejected.

"Camellia, I love you."

Hong Cha was shocked once more. She can tell he is not joking.

"Do you feel the same...?" He nervously asked. Hong Cha didn't answer. Gu Zixing was disappointed.

"You're not lying?"

Gu Zixing took a pause. "No, I'm not lying. I really- uhm!"

Hong Cha kissed him abruptly. He fell back on the bed and Hong Cha hugged him, her face on his chest.

"Sorry I wasn't honest. I feel the same but I thought you don't like me." She looked up to Gu Zixing. He only smiled and sat up with Hong Cha in his gentle embrace.

"I've always liked you. Since that night we first met." He did, but he only held back because he knew it was wrong. She was innocent and the most awkward prostitute he ever met. He finds her funny but something about her made him unable to leave her vulnerable. "Since, you love me too, you won't get mad again, right?"

"I don't know." Hong Cha shrugged and enjoyed his embrace.

"That's not fair..."

"Love and hate comes along~."

"Scratch that. It's so hard to make you forgive me."

"Do you love me at all?"

"En, en. We'll have it your way."

"Thank you, I love you."

"Let's get married?"

"That's too fast!"

"Haha!"