Arc 7: Royal Deceit (240)

Gu Jiaoyue wanted to look for Hong Cha when the banquet ended but the Head Eunuch instructed him to meet with his father. He went to the inner court and his father is already waiting for him. Gu Hai motioned for Gu Jiaoyue to step closer. He removed his crown and placed it on a table across Gu Jiaoyue.

"I am about to retire." Gu Hai informed although he is had only ruled Tian for 25 years. He hadn't even entered his fifties. "I had neglected you long enough and let you be independent without a proper father figure throughout your whole life. However, Ning'er raised you to be the excellent successor I need. This crown will be yours one day and that moment is not quite far. Do not worry once you become the new emperor of Tian. House Gu will be your backer and stabilize your power quick before an outsider interferes."

Gu Jiaoyue showed no hint of empathy or bliss. He plainly looked at the crown as if it was a mere block of wood. It was true, he lived for 22 years without a sliver of love from his father. What was left is only the respect of a prince towards a ruler. The parent he ever saw was Hong Qingning. Although everyone criticized her for stealing a diseased concubine's son, or being a vicious empress towards the harem, none of them knew she did all those for his sake, to keep him safe. To repay her, he will find a way to make her the Empress Dowager. First step, marry Hong Cha. Next, replace Gu Hai.

"I indeed aspire to be an emperor." Gu Jiaoyue faced Gu Hai. His demeanor no less arrogant as how he treated a stranger. After all, this is how Gu Hai dealt with him. "Then, Gu Chi Lian's death is mine."

Gu Hai was astounded. He shook his head and said, "Your second brother is insane, Ah Yue. You can't blame him for whatever he caused to provoke you."

"Your Majesty, he have an affair with one of your wives, he harassed my cousin's fiance years ago, he tainted our royal family, and he attempted to kill the girl I and Foster Mother cared for." Gu Jiaoyue blinked, his serene dark eyes became dangerous. His voice fell and a group of men in dark robes surrounded them in the courtyard.

"This..." Gu Hai have a feeling this will be his end. He looked at his son who is only few steps away from him but seems to be miles further his reach.

"You wished to protect an insane child of yours? What about me, your first son with your so-called sweetheart? You blamed me for my mother's death and let me fend for myself. If not for Foster Mother, will I be alive? Will I bring fame to the royal family? Will I be good enough to be your heir?" Gu Jiaoyue's question became darker and darker each second. He glanced behind him and Hong Qingning came forth.

"Ning'er? What is the meaning of this?" Gu Hai is very confused. Hong Qingning smiled and placed a goblet besides the crown. Next, the Head Eunuch also arrived with wine. He poured some content into the goblet.

"Thank you, Head Eunuch, for your loyal servitude." Hong Qingning implied which helped Gu Hai understand everything. Those he trusted are no longer on his side.

"Ah Yue, I had done you wrong, I regretted as you grew up. Why?" He tried to see through Gu Jiaoyue's piercing cold gaze but he failed to notice anything aside from contempt.

"As I grew up? You don't even know I was waiting not for an apology but a little bit of your attention, not as the emperor but a genuine father. You don't even know how I envy Zixing for his caring family, how he was raised that way. Now you know why I grew up not as welcoming or kind like Zixing, isn't that what you often asked? Why I am very different from him?" It is true Gu Jiaoyue was jealous of Gu Zixing's life. He lived in a perfect family, he need not to worry for an internal strife and he can easily gain what he wants. Unlike Gu Jiaoyue, he have to wake up day by day, vigilant and unapproachable. "Furthermore, you also harmed Foster Mother."

"Jiaojiao, I will handle it." Hong Qingning immediately interrupted. Gu Jiaoyue took his leave. Once he is gone, Hong Qingning approached Gu Hai with the goblet. She reached out and lightly touched his face. Hong Qingning smiled dreamily, "Hai, do you know, I loved you?"

The past tense 'loved' made it clear between them, it was all in the past. Then, Hong Qingning began to produce tears. Her grip on the goblet's handle tightened.

"I used to love you, until I found out you didn't do anything to save An, you let it get burned down just so you can vent your anger because I stole this position from Jiaojiao's mother. Have you ever thought how much hardship had I gone through just to be your main wife? I nearly lost my only brother in the past but you completely eliminated him, Hai. You killed everyone I cared for. If I wasn't vigilant enough, I would have lost Jiaojiao too! You are the real tyrant here, Hai. You made us turn our back against you. Never blame us for this misery you brought to yourself!"

The next day, a very shocking news spreads in Tian like a wildfire. The emperor passed away last night from a 'heart attack'. A decree was found in the main palace, announcing Gu Jiaoyue as the heir of the dragon throne. No one was skeptical since Gu Hai had illnesses in the past. Furthermore, the imperial physicians are on Hong Qingning's side, except for Alexander. He only went with the flow because if he shows his suspicion, he might end up dead like the emperor.

Aside from the emperor's death, Alexander have to worry for another thing. Gu Zixing and Hong Cha are missing. Hong Qingning proclaimed a bandit had attacked House Gu last night and must have taken away Gu Zixing and Hong Cha. It was believable due to her manipulation but Alexander knows better.

"Ai, I hope their elopement goes well..." He murmured while watching the imperial physicians attend Gu Hai's corpse.