Arc 7: Royal Deceit (250)

It was another dream of her past. The moon is full outside the window and Hong Cha saw it as soon as she woke up. She can't sleep again and decided to leave her bedchamber. Hong Cha didn't bother to wear a cloak and headed outside. Her palace is almost a copy of the empress' residence. This is how much Gu Jiaoyue loves her. She knew that but she never acknowledged it. Hong Cha walked around the snowy courtyard. Her feet stopped before the vermillion bridge. She looked up and saw Gu Zixing rested on the other side.

Without knowing why, she crossed the bridge and approached his side. Gu Zixing can't tell why she sat next to him. He didn't leave to avoid her as he recalled how lonely she has been for years. Slowly, her head rested on his shoulder. She closed her eyes and hummed a short song. He remembers that song. It was Meeting Fireflies...

"Head Minister Gu." She leaned off him and touched the red lace that tied his hair up. Hong Cha smiled faintly. It is the same red lace that he gave her at north, the one she always wore to prove her faithfulness to him. "Lotus silk is really lovely. His Majesty gave me a chest filled of lotus silk in red color."

Gu Zixing didn't speak. She tugged the red lace and it went loose. His dark hair cascaded down the seat like a flow of waterfall. Hong Cha took the red lace and handed it to him.

"Tie my hair." Her tone was between cold and warm. Hong Cha can see the complicated emotions within his gaze. "You used to do that southeast, don't tell me you had forgotten how?"

"I haven't." Gu Zixing answered. He received a tantalizing smile from Hong Cha as she turned her back. Gu Zixing carefully arranged her hair and used the red lace. He came to recall those moments he was there for her. Every morning, he will initiate to comb her hair, she will even fall asleep from his care. Once he finished arrangement, she will turn to him and express her gratitude by being clingy. Her eyes were bright and her smile was pure back then. But now...

"Stay as the head minister a little longer." Hong Cha touched the braid he did. She stood up and her temper became indifferent. "By the way, I want to travel towards An. His Majesty said you should come to protect me."

"If this has something to do with vengeance, I won't." Gu Zixing knew her, and had guessed she is up to something. It made Hong Cha raise her voice.

"You won't go? Where has your promise went? You told me, you will be there to protect me, not abandon me." Hong Cha felt her frustration surge. "I just wish I can hate you all my heart."

Gu Zixing realized something from her words. She doesn't truly hate him. Three years had passed that was filled with her vengeance. She must have been tired. But, before he can speak, Hong Cha had retired to her palace. Gu Zixing's gaze became alive. He had decided to remind her of who she truly is, and bring back Camellia.

"What is this?" Hong Cha raised a brow at the carriage and soldiers lining up on her way. Gu Zixing is in their lead. She scoffed in disdain, "I'll be going to An, on my own. I won't need your assistance, Minister."

"Travel towards An is dangerous, Your Highness." Gu Zixing put up a smile but Hong Cha wasn't the least complacent.

"There is no need." Hong Cha firmly said and went past him. He didn't rebuke or felt discouraged, he knew she will need he later on.

Hong Cha travelled to An with her maidservant, Xiao Wen and the carriage driver. She tool the tea Xiao When made for her and instinctively glanced at the window. To her astonishment, a black steed rushed forward and she is very sure Gu Zixing was riding it. She choked from the tea and Xiao Wen hastily helped her. Hong Cha looked out the window but saw no one ahead.

"Your Highness, don't you know it's dangerous to keep your head out of the carriage window?" Gu Zixing's voice came from behind. Hong Cha looked back to see him keeping up with the carriage's pace.

"Xiao Wen, tell the driver to hurry. I have to reach An in two weeks." Hong Cha ignored him and sat back on the cushion chair. The carriage became faster but she can still hear the steed's sprinting. She annoyingly looked outside again. "Why is Head Minister here?"

"To escort this consort." Gu Zixing also had ten soldiers catching up. Hong Cha has no idea how dangerous it is to travel during winter. He will not let any accident happen.

Hong Cha closed the curtains but it didn't discourage him a bit. Gu Zixing had expected to be ignored and receive countless scorn from her. However, he had learnt in the past that courting a wife is not that easy.

He is quite persistent and patient. Hong Cha have no qualms with him becoming like a guard around her whenever she rests in different inns. Although, her tongue can be sharp sometimes. He never answered her back and stayed amiable.

Worse, her two weeks trip can't be achieved. A snowstorm occurred and they have to take a rest in a different city. A lot of visitors are also reserving room for themselves. Every inn is crowded and Hong Cha's frustration was over her face.

"This city is Chang'an, it is quite populated." Gu Zixing spoke next to her as if to add more fuel to the fire. He raised his hand and Hong Cha recognized what was stuck between his fingers. It was a key with number. "Fortunately, I have a relative here that owns a prestigious inn."

Hong Cha felt like he is purposely luring her. She still took the key and headed to the inn but Gu Zixing held her back.

"Head Minister, know your place!" She pulled her wrist and reminded him of their status. Gu Zixing only shrugged.

"Your Highness, this is not the inn I was telling you." Gu Zixing knew they can't appear intimate in front of palace servants. Still, he stayed composed, even though her evasion had continuously hurt him.