Arc 7: Royal Deceit (235)

There are indeed so many possibilities. There are so many choices, some right, some wrong. However, with their current circumstance, right and wrong are nowhere to be found. Gu Zixing even thought of elopement. A side of him wants to be selfish but another side wants him to stay filial. He can't choose which, each is a good choice but both of these options can hurt somebody. Gu Zixing was struggling.

"Gu Zixing, is everything alright?" Hong Cha asked. She was confused when Gu Zixing handed her two letters that are a bit crippled. Hong Cha recognized the handwriting on the first letter. She looked up to Gu Zixing who removed his hold on her.

Gu Zixing was waiting until she finished reading the contents. He could see denial and doubt from her expression. A little while later, Hong Cha turned to him. Gu Zixing was helpless to do anything to make her feel better. Why did he have to give in? If he had continued withholding his feelings for her, they won't be this hurt to find out she was never his in the first place.

"Y-you're not abandoning me, are you?" Hong Cha's voice trembled, her eyes started to sting and her heart felt sour. Is he going to give her up? Now that they have gotten this far? He is not responding which deepened her anxiousness. Hong Cha searched into his gaze desperately for an answer. "Gu Zixing..."

"Camellia, Jiaoyue is back. I, I don't know anymore." He was no less aggrieved than Hong Cha. Seeing her tears, he have the urge to dry them away but he lacks enough courage. All of a sudden, Hong Cha hugged him as if he was the last straw she has.

"Gu Zixing, please don't give up! I don't want to be with anyone other than you. Don't give up yet. Please, please don't leave me behind." Hong Cha cried painfully. She can beg if this is not enough. She murmured her pleads over and over but Gu Zixing didn't respond. "Gu Zixing, I love you."

The simple words that are often spoken carelessly, can move a heart of stone. He was never an indifferent person and when she told him, he held her back dearly. Gu Zixing closed his eyes for a moment. He breathed deeply and his gaze became decisive. There is still another way.

A day passed which seemed to be weeks for Hong Cha. Gu Jiaoyue didn't come back. A eunuch informed her Gu Jiaoyue went out of the city to receive someone. Even Gu Zixing followed.

By the wide gate arrives a majestic royal carriage. Gu Zixing became more nervous as the red phoenix curtains were lifted. He steeled his heart since this has been in his thoughts all along. To speak with Hong Qingning.

"Jiaojiao, it is good you remembered." Hong Qingning stepped out of the carriage. She came to note Gu Zixing's existence. "Prince Yun, what a surprise you are here. This is a great opportunity. I was informed Little Cha is in House Gu. Well, need not to worry, I will bring her with me in the palace. Of course, I won't forget to express my gratitude."

"She's going to the palace...?" Gu Zixing took an abrupt pause. "Your Majesty, she can't."

Hong Qingning halted, even Gu Jiaoyue got puzzled. Gu Zixing wanted to explain but he thought of Gu Jiaoyue. They both like Hong Cha and Gu Jiaoyue knew nothing of their relationship. Gu Zixing doesn't wish to cause an enmity between them.

"She wants to talk with Your Majesty first." Gu Zixing made up a lie to divert their attention and at the same time, keep Gu Jiaoyue in the shadows.

Late at noon, Hong Cha was still waiting. She patiently waited by the hallway. Her heart skipped to see Gu Zixing. Hong Cha stood up and her face lit up but her delighted expression didn't last. Hong Qingning showed up. She donned in an elegant azure dress and a dark pelisse. Her eyes are the same as Hong Cha's, slim but charming. It was as if Hong Cha got her seductive features from her aunt. They have the same type of allure but their temper differs. Hong Qingning is less with emotion while Hong Cha is still young and impulsive.

"Little Cha, I see you've grown up much like me than your mother." Hong Qingning approached the girl and used her fan to raise Hong Cha's face. She is satisfied how unparalleled Hong Cha is. To marry a prince, expect an extreme harem fight. With a peerless temptation, no one can steal her man. "Rest assured, Gu Jiaoyue won't let you down."

Hong Cha looked at Gu Zixing. She can't wait for him to explain and spoke up, "Aunt, I only wanted to be married with him, Gu Zixing."

Hong Qingning was taken aback. She immediately noticed the spark within Hong Cha's gaze towards Gu Zixing.

"Little Cha, whatever do you mean? I already promised you to the Crown Prince."

"Camellia is right." Gu Zixing gathered his determination and went forward. He faced Hong Qingning while holding Hong Cha's hand. "Camellia can live without worries. I can definitely support her and our family in the future. I only ask for your blessing."

"Ridiculous." Hong Qingning's disagreement caused Hong Cha to be frustrated. "This is outrageous. Prince Yun, how can I give you my blessing? You have disappointed everyone enough, hadn't you? Now you wish to be foolish and go against Gu Jiaoyue? First, you didn't finish your studies in the imperial academy just to learn martial arts. Next, you declined the invitation to enter a prestigious school in West Wu. And this, marrying my niece? Do you know what you're going into? Don't tell me you want to be selfish this time? Can't you guess that this can lead to House Gu's downfall?"

"Aunt, Gu Zixing is just like Prince Brother! What more do you want him to prove?" Hong Cha defended Gu Zixing after seeing his distress. Everything simple with him is fine, she doesn't need anything with Gu Zixing next to her.

"Just like your Prince Brother?" Hong Qingning repeated as if she heard a joke. "Hong Cha, do you know Prince Yun for three years long? They are not the same, my dear. Sure, he is a second rank prince, he is a genius the whole Tian praised, but can he make you an empress? Had he never lied to you? Are you sure you know him?"

Her questions caused Gu Zixing to be bothered. He instinctively looked at Hong Cha who is also gazing at him, she trusts him so well. Gu Zixing became hesitant, if she were to know he killed her father...