Arc 7: Royal Deceit (232)

Morning sunlight brimmed into the serene room. It shone over Hong Cha's eyes. Her lashes fanned and her sight cleared. She was not confused when she felt an arm around her and her head leaning on a chest. The cool scent of this man made her relax. Hong Cha slowly sat up. Gu Zixing woke up from her movements. He was immediately welcomed by a pair of mischievous almond eyes. Hong Cha pecked on his lips.

"Good morning." She greeted. Gu Zixing smiled and hugged her tightly. "Hey, I can't breath."

"Morning, Camellia." Gu Zixing loosened his hold and shifted their position. They lied sideways facing each other. Gu Zixing arranged her hair and caressed her blushing cheek. It just felt too surreal she is next to him.

"Gu Zixing-, we didn't do anything yesterday, right...?" Hong Cha nervously asked. Gu Zixing laughed and pinched her nose.

"No. You don't have to worry. I won't take your first time, not until we marry." Gu Zixing assured her. After they competed who loves more than the other, she fell asleep and he wanted to stay with her. Nothing else occurred. Gu Zixing cuddled her and thought she is really so irresistible. "Camellia, let's have a lot of babies after we get married."

"M-marry? Babies?!" Hong Cha broke free from his embrace. Sure she loves this fool but, babies? "Gu Zixing, I, I'm not ready..."

"Hey, don't worry. I can wait for the day you'll be ready." He is not that impatient. Besides, he must make sure they are stable when that time arrives. Gu Zixing doesn't want to rely on his parents or House Gu, he wants to be responsible on his own. He took her hand and gently kissed the back. "Camellia, let's tell them?"

Meng Ziyan and Gu Shang were speechless the whole time as Gu Zixing and Hong Cha told them what they went through last night. After Gu Zixing spoke, Meng Ziyan hugged them.

"You two have to fight so many times just to realize this?! Oh, I'm so glad you finally made up!"

"Aha, I'm proud of you, son." Gu Shang patted Gu Zixing's shoulder and whispered, "I knew it. The rumors about you and your cousin is false, hahaha!"

"What? Which rumors?" Gu Zixing got confused.

"Nothing." His father hurriedly said.

"Since you are not ready to marry yet, is engagement fine? We can prepare and have one in five days later." Meng Ziyan suggested.

Gu Zixing turned to Hong Cha and she readily nodded. With this engagement, comes a vow of marriage. When the time is ripe, they will soon reach that moment where they will wear a red veil and a red brocade. After the ceremonies, who knows, maybe a new heir of House Gu will be born.

Four days later, a royal carriage entered the capital city. The one who rode the carriage is none other than the Crown Prince of Tian, Gu Jiaoyue. He was looking at an old scroll containing a painting of a thirteen year old girl, smiling proudly and she carries a lovely vibe that attracts anyone to pamper her. Once the carriage paused, Gu Jiaoyue rolled the scroll.

"Hong Cha, Prince Brother is back."

Gu Zixing is at the study, the night before the engagement. He can't stop smiling while thinking of Hong Cha. Even though it was only a betrothal ceremony, it is enough for him to be agitated.

"Prince Yun, so happy?" Alexander can't help but ask as he read the lovestruck poems Gu Zixing wrote. He knows that feeling. "Miss Camellia got you well, hah! I thought you will keep up your act a little longer."

"Are you here to make fun of me or what?" Gu Zixing questioned. Alexander just came from the palace and he knew he brought a news with him.

"I got my job back, and heard a progress from Miss Camellia's case. Your cousin, Gu Chi Lian, needs a break. The emperor invited me today to cure him from his madness but there is no medicine for that, che. Gu Chi Lian hates you very much, huh. I talked to him and tried to calm him down but he keeps cursing you. What exactly did you do to him?" Alexander became serious. He waited for Gu Zixing's answer who is also confused.

"Aside from punching him at the Mid-Autumn Banquet, nothing else." Gu Zixing pondered deeply. He have no idea how Gu Chi Lian got that much hatred against him. "I do remember when this started. Jiaoyue argued with Chi Lian when we saved Se Hong from his harassment. I didn't side with Chi Lian and we turned our back to him."

"He harassed Miss Se? From what Gu Chi Lian told me, Miss Se fooled all of you just to get your attention."

Gu Zixing became silent. Seven years ago, Gu Chi Lian was never that bad. It all changed when he and Gu Jiaoyue saw Se Hong begging for help with her clothes torn. Her appearance was believable and even if Gu Chi Lian defended himself, they didn't acknowledge him. He was so humiliated that day, his reputation was muddled and the emperor was deeply disappointed. From then on, Gu Chi Lian lived on to what everyone thinks of him.

"What else did he say?"

"Well, you may not believe this but Miss Se staged that incident. My theory is that Gu Chi Lian envies you at the end of the day. From the information I got, when he was a boy, he likes following you and learning a lot from you at the imperial academy. You are an admired prodigy and even if Gu Chi Lian tried hard to study, he is not good enough to surpass you or Gu Jiaoyue. The moment you saw him as the bad guy, he became the bad guy. Prince Yun, here is what I can say. Be more considerate with your decisions in the future. You preserve one, you lose one. So, choose wisely"