Arc 7: Royal Deceit (261)

A new carriage reached An's capital city. Along the way, a lot of Tian soldiers are helping out the citizens. Hong Cha stepped foot on the familiar pavement that leads to her ancestral home. Her gaze became absent but the sense of nostalgia overwhelmed her. Gu Zixing stood next to her while holding the steed's rein. He have never been in Hong Manor before. But, Gu Jiaoyue told him. When Gu Jiaoyue returned to Tian years ago, he likes talking about Hong Family. Even if he didn't meet his real mother, Hong Family treated him as if he was truly Hong Qingning's son. Specially that one girl, the youngest noble lady of Hong Family, she keeps his boredom away.

"This path..." Hong Cha's gaze became alive. She left Xiao Wen and with excitement, went past the familiar lanterns and plum blossoms. She felt like a child she was years ago. Hong Cha ended up in a forked hallway. Her head turned to where a path leads at a very familiar courtyard. Hong Cha rushed there, lifting her skirt and holding the moon gate. "Father!"

Her shout echoed in the burnt courtyard. Hong Cha's smile faded and the liveliness on her face receded, replaced by loss and sadness. This courtyard used to be her father's study. There was a residence there, built to be his office and in front of the office is a wide empty ground where he trained her brothers to be strong men. She and her sisters used to watch them when they have nothing to do and laugh at their once proud brothers getting beaten up by their father.

But, what met her wasn't a neat courtyard or a residence, the whole place was dark with coal and ashes. The traces of prestige was long eradicated.

If her father didn't die...

"Xiao Cha." A familiar voice called. Hong Cha didn't turn as Gu Jiaoyue saw her grief-stricken face. He knew why, he also went here frequently because Hong Cha asked him to so they can watch how Hong Qiuran trains his successors. He gently held her shoulder and planted a soft kiss on her head. "I had every place cleaned up and renovated to what it was like in the past. Except for General Hong's study. I didn't know every detail this courtyard has."

"Ca-!" Gu Zixing paused to see such intimate scene. His pace slowed down and his frown appeared a bit. "Jiaoyue, you're here."

"En. I wish to restore Xiao Cha's ancestral home but I wasn't given enough time." Gu Jiaoyue kept her in his embrace. He turned to Gu Zixing and said with a laughing manner, "Are you worried for Xiao Cha?"

"I..." Gu Zixing wanted to say yes, eagerly nod and tell him right away that only he have the rights to comfort her this way, only in his embrace can she...

"Your Majesty, I'm too tired." Hong Cha made a sound before Gu Zixing can answer.

Gu Jiaoyue hummed and initiated to bring her with him. As they turned, Hong Cha secretly sent Gu Zixing an indifferent look. Gu Zixing stood there like a lifeless person. His fists tightened as he looked at the two figures walking away.

How many days had passed, she doesn't know. Every time she wanders around the renovated Hong Mansion, Hong Cha felt time flowing and slipping from her hands. She forgot to count the days she was alone, drifting with unknown loneliness. She just wanted to recall the past but she had grown old, she already matured and had overcome a lot of difficulties, resulting to her overbearing personality. Gradually, those happy memories of her childhood faded. She doesn't know how to recover them.

"Camellia."

Hong Cha doesn't have to guess who called her. She kept her head high as she stared at her father's old portrait hanging from the study. She reached out and touched the rough surface of the woven material. Her father looks young in this portrait, he wasn't wearing his battle gears but rather his scholarly robes. Perhaps he was just a student in the imperial academy of An back then. Still, the young man didn't hide his wiseness and carries a lofty temper that is difficult to ignore. Somehow, this mirrors Gu Zixing, three years ago...

"I just realized Father is more like you." Hong Cha faintly said. She kept her eyes on the portrait to meet her father's decisive amber eyes. "No, I'm wrong. He is not that better."

Gu Zixing felt helpless at the moment. He can't tell if she wished to blame him or confuse him. He doesn't know how Hong Cha lived here in her childhood. What he knows is that Hong Qiuran cares for his family too.

"If it were not for Warlord Bai, if it were not for external forces interfering our affairs..." Hong Cha's tone lowered and turned cold. They both knew she meant it was Gu Zixing who meddled carelessly.

"I am willing to explain. At that time-"

"Explain, but I don't want to listen." Hong Cha scoffed indifferently. She turned to Gu Zixing and added, "Regretting now, Head Minister? Oh, won't you worry for your imperial cousin?"

In the end, Gu Zixing lost his temper. He held her wrist and pulled her unceremoniously, having her body dragged close to him as his tall figure shadowed her intimidatingly.

"Y-you!"

"Say whatever you want, but it wont change the fact we committed something!" Gu Zixing finds it ridiculous. They are still husband and wife, yet why is it whenever she mentions Gu Jiaoyue, he feels like he doesn't have the rights for her?

Back then, he was urged to marry a lot of noble ladies but he refused adamantly. However, that doesn't mean he never thought of it. In fact, he has imagined it to be something wonderful and simple. With a caring first wife he won't dare neglect, and children to ease his worries. It was funny he can't extricate himself from a painful love and continuously pursue her even if their society will see it wrong.

"Head Minister, I already reconsidered and thought of letting you off but you want to involve His Majesty? Outrageous!" She sent him a stubborn glare, not showing any signs of her weakness. To be honest, she is feeling anxious inside. After a month with him in Chang'an, not cultivating feelings is a lie.