Arc 7: Royal Deceit (262)

Behind the thin door screens and oil papers, a slender frame stood there with dark regal robes. The young man was frowning slightly as he listened to their conversation. Gu Jiaoyue tried his best to stay calm but the more he knew, the more hatred accumulated.

"Camellia!" Gu Zixing's voice was raised, even Gu Jiaoyue was stunned to know his always polite cousin will actually yell. "We haven't agreed on a divorce yet! Don't use your relationship with Jiaoyue as a threat to me! If I were to show proof of our marriage, I will be favored but you and him won't receive blessing!"

"Marriage? Heh. After seeing me accompany another man for three years, aren't you annoyed enough for a forced divorce? Why didn't you do it? Don't you feel sick!?"

Gu Jiaoyue clenched his fists. He wanted to rush in and ask them, blame them with curses but hearing Hong Cha's rejection, he pondered over. Furthermore, his envy towards Gu Zixing had directed him to a different thought. Since young, their lives differ, Gu Zixing always have the best things and he must struggle for it. Now, the woman he likes actually has a deeper relationship with Gu Zixing. Gu Jiaoyue is not stupid these years, he felt something odd between the two but he didn't want to probe. With his doubt cleared, he still doesn't have the heart to harm Hong Cha.

For an imperial concubine to mock and fool an emperor, it was a very grave crime equal to death. However, Gu Jiaoyue is hesitant. He reached a decision and heard a thump from the other side. Hong Cha's muffled voice squeaked. His face darkened as he knocked on the door.

Hong Cha pushed Gu Zixing and composed herself. She turned away from him and once the door opened, she was alone in the room. Gu Jiaoyue organized his thoughts and approached Hong Cha calmly.

"Xiao Cha, are you alone?" He asked, no emotions can be traced from his tone. Hong Cha moved and hesitantly faced him. She shook her head as Gu Jiaoyue's eyes darkened. "Have you seen Zixing? I was looking for him."

"This consort doesn't know." Hong Cha lowered her head. She secretly glanced outside the window, only she can see Gu Zixing looking at her. He was frustrated and he left the courtyard.

"I heard everything."

Hong Cha looked up in shock. She saw Gu Jiaoyue's contempt flowing from his deep gaze.

"When you were missing three years ago, when Foster Mother found you in a small town at the southeast, you eloped with him." Gu Jiaoyue is not stupid. He immediately understood everything after hearing their argument. That time, he believed her lies and tears, but at this moment, he no longer wants to listen. "You lied. You betrayed me, Hong Cha."

Hong Cha kept her head low, her face unusually gentle with her lips pursed. She seemed to be unmoved, but loneliness and grief is evident from her. "Yes, I lied. But, you chose to deceive yourself, didn't you? You know I was saved by Gu Zixing, you know I lived with him in House Gu, you know I have an odd relationship from him. Yet, you didn't investigate or confronted us."

Gu Jiaoyue was beyond raged. He broke a fragile vase to vent his hostility, he still can't bear to hurt her!

"I was lenient because even if you like him, you are promised to me! On your way here, you did it with him!?"

Hong Cha stayed silent. Her unwillingness to answer fueled his resentment. Gu Jiaoyue laughed bitterly, leaning on the old desk.

"Good, good." He nodded faintly. Gu Jiaoyue stood up and flicked his sleeve. "Write a divorce, or I will have him punished with deboning!"

"I will, I know. You won't do anything if I divorce him, right?" Hong Cha have a hunch. Gu Jiaoyue rarely loses his temper but when he does, things are out of control. She had experienced it once, when he learnt she married 'Nian Xiaoyuan'.

Gu Jiaoyue glanced at her coldly. Even if she is a liar, he can't have her killed right away. If it were others, he will feel great humiliation and bestow beheading.

"Hong Cha, don't test my limit." Gu Jiaoyue sneered, her small face flashed fear after seeing his deviousness. "Someone in! Lock the consort in her room for the month, if she dares take a step outside, all of you will face consequences!"

Upon saying this, servants outside the courtyard gathered to bring Hong Cha out. She struggled from their hold and tried to find Gu Jiaoyue but he is gone. She knew Gu Jiaoyue won't let anyone off.

Gu Zixing got called unexpectedly. He came from the camp outside the capital and was led to the old palace of An. There was only him in the empty hall, with Gu Jiaoyue sitting arrogantly on the new dragon throne. Gu Zixing greeted him like an official. Gu Jiaoyue waved his hand impatiently and motioned for him to have a seat.

"It has been so long since we had a leisure time like this." Gu Jiaoyue motioned to a servant who brought a folded paper, ink, and brush. Another servant arrived with a cup and wine.

Gu Zixing frowned lightly. He sat across Gu Jiaoyue and tried to see through the other's thought. Gu Jiaoyue sensed his probing and laughed shortly.

"What's the matter? I invited you here, not as the emperor, but, as your cousin and sworn brother." Gu Jiaoyue forwarded the folded paper to him. "Read."

Gu Zixing took the paper while Gu Jiaoyue filled the cup with dark red wine. He observed Gu Zixing's calm expression slowly turning to a frown.

"I'm impressed the two of you are almost three years in marriage." Gu Jiaoyue's grin turned cold, his smile faded when Gu Zixing faced him. "Zixing, I trusted you."

Gu Zixing lowered his gaze, his lashes fanned and his lips curled to a bitter arc.

"You are so courageous to hide this from me. I remember, you kept finding excuses so she won't live in the palace. Was it because you want her to stay? And as if it wasn't enough, you eloped with her!" Gu Jiaoyue continued. If Gu Zixing hadn't helped him accomplish a lot, he would have ordered his execution right away. However, Gu Jiaoyue was fooled this long. He won't let Gu Zixing get away so easily.

"Jiaoyue, you instructed her to write this divorce, didn't you?" Gu Zixing asked after a long silence. The letter contained Hong Cha's testament for a divorce. Of course, even if she wants to divorce, the husband still holds the power to agree or not. "I won't divorce her."

"You're courting death." He knew Gu Zixing is stubborn and won't give up that quick. Gu Jiaoyue placed the cup in front of Gu Zixing. "Write a divorce, or drink poison? Don't worry, it won't kill you."

Gu Zixing met his chilling gaze. He took the cup and said, "Jiaoyue, I was wrong. However, I won't go this far if you didn't force her. She won't go this far if you also did not force her."