Arc 7: Royal Deceit (233)

Warm ambiance dawned over House Gu the next morning. Decors are raised from the towering walls to its robust gate. Guests arrived impressed with House Gu's preparations for its heir's betrothal. Everyone knows how House Gu cherished Gu Zixing, every member are proud of him and even high ranking ministers wanted him to be their disciple. Grand General Se is lucky enough to be his teacher. Aside from House Gu's backing, Gu Hai also favors his nephew. He often compares Gu Zixing to the princes but Gu Jiaoyue is exempted from that. With two hegemonic backers, nothing can be simple for this occasion.

Gu Zixing was waiting for Hong Cha at the main hall like they agreed on. He kept looking at her residence's direction.

"Prince Yun, His Majesty is here." Alexander informed. Gu Zixing hesitantly followed Alexander.

At the same time, Gu Jiaoyue arrived with House Gu's servant following him. "Where does Zixing lives?"

"Oh, it's this way, Your Highness." The servant led Gu Jiaoyue to a different direction opposite to Gu Zixing's.

"Uncle Hai!" Gu Zixing cheerfully greeted Gu Hai.

"Xiao Xing is finally man enough?" Gu Hai jested as the crowds laughed. Gu Zixing only smiled without taking it to heart. "Why are you alone? I thought Ah Yue is with you?"

"Jiaoyue is here?" Gu Zixing was astounded.

"He returned last night. He wanted to greet you first thing. Where is he?"

"I'll go look for him." Gu Zixing proposed. He hadn't seen Gu Jiaoyue for years. They are like brothers and Gu Zixing wanted to boast this engagement.

Hong Cha had dressed up for the occasion. She stood outside the balcony and saw the guests entering House Gu by the outer court. Her anxiousness spiked. She kept overthinking, how will she face the guests? How will she introduce herself? How can she not embarrass House Gu?

Hong Cha sighed deeply. She heard a creak which made her turn around. To her shock, she saw Zhao Xue closing the door of the balcony. She holds a knife with her too!

"Zhao Xue?" She was shocked. Zhao Xue disappeared for more than a week and the officers are still tracing her whereabouts. How did she come here?!

"Shut her up!" Zhao Xue ordered. A man in black martial suit appeared behind Hong Cha and covered her mouth. Zhao Xue smiled lightly upon seeing Hong Cha's terrified look. "Miss Hong, no one will save you. Everyone are gathered at the outer court and your servants, heh, gone. Let me take this time to speak so you won't die clueless."

"Miss Zhao." The man warned but Zhao Xue glared at him. He can only stay quiet and keep Hong Cha from struggling.

"Aren't you beautiful? And perhaps, you used this face to seduce Young Master." Zhao Xue stepped closer and placed the edge of the knife on Hong Cha's neck. "Dumb women, you and that Se Hong are just the same! Both of you can only rely on your beauty with your brains empty! How did he even like you? Did you use this face?!"

"Ahhh!" A shrill scream came from Hong Cha when Zhao Xue lashed the knife on her cheek. The wound starting to sting and crimson blood dripped down. Hong Cha was holding back her urge to cry.

"Want to cry? Oh, I forgot, you are brought up proper with your fancy life. You are so pampered but, I will end you today. The Young Master doesn't deserve to be betrothed to a useless weak damsel!"

Hong Cha opened her eyes and raised her foot. She was able to kick Zhao Xue. The knife fell down the balcony and Zhao Xue crashed the door. Hong Cha was pushed forward, her stomach got hit and she writhed in pain.

The man is about to hurt her again but he heard Zhao Xue shout for him to stop. They turned to the chamber and saw her held captive. Hong Cha narrowed her eyes to find the other man familiar. It was none other than Gu Jiaoyue. He quickly recognized Hong Cha. This infuriated him as he held the dagger closer to Zhao Xue's neck. The blade made a cut and injured Zhao Xue.

"Leave her alone, or this woman dies." Gu Jiaoyue threatened. The man hesitated but he stepped away from Hong Cha.

"Camellia!" Gu Zixing arrived on time. He was uneasy when he saw the man in black at the balcony. What's more, the maids assigned in her residence are dead. Gu Zixing can't even look at his surrounding and quickly took Hong Cha.

"Leave." Gu Jiaoyue went back on his words. It was obvious he won't hesitate to take Zhao Xue's life if the man doesn't leave. Without a choice, he left. Gu Jiaoyue released Zhao Xue.

She fell on her knees and held her bleeding neck. Zhao Xue gritted her teeth. Her tears blended on the tiled floor where her nails scratched from too much force.

"Zhao Xue, how can you do this?" Gu Zixing was in disbelief. He made sure he is kind to everyone, because he thought they won't do anything wrong behind his back. To think Zhao Xue can hurt Hong Cha, it was disappointing him further. He didn't maltreat her as her master. In fact, he treated her like a sister.

Zhao Xue looked up and met two pairs of judging cold eyes. She glanced at Hong Cha who depends on Gu Zixing.

"Heh, she manipulates you all so easily." Zhao Xue bitterly thought how unfair it was. Hong Cha can effortlessly have everything she wanted 'without' suffering. She even received the protection of both men Zhao Xue had liked.

"Your Highness, are you alright?" A group of guards came. They saw the mess in the room and a stalemate.

"Zhao Xue, you completely broke my trust." Gu Zixing decided firmly. "Guards, take her to prison. Have the chief punish her as he will."

"Young Master!" Zhao Xue reached for the hem of his robe but a guard held her back. She looked at Gu Zixing in hope for his leniency. However, he is steady not to show mercy. "Hong Cha of An, I hate you! I curse you will die miserably!"

"Take her away!" Gu Zixing demanded and held Hong Cha protectively. He came to notice the bloodstain on his robe.