Arc 7: Royal Deceit (246)

It was a devastating news for House Gu. Meng Ziyan's breath stopped at midnight, she passed silently. Gu Zixing mourned nonstop even if dawn fostered House Gu. They had never seen him in such pain before. The servants always knew Gu Zixing as someone patient, calm and cheerful. His mother's death is such a big impact and his grief was ever so visible. As if it wasn't enough, the scouts he sent returned that day and reported another information. An unknown group of black guards brought Gu Shang's corpse. His death was then confirmed.

White banners were raised in every corner of House Gu. The mourning of seven days started. Within those days, no one dared approach Gu Zixing. He never speaks to anyone and was easily irritated. Gu Jiaoyue is an exemption. He can sit next to Gu Zixing and talk to him. Gu Zixing still won't say a word.

After the funeral, House Gu's young headmaster changed his temper. He was once bright and full of smiles, someone everyone will feel comfortable to be with. But as soon as he became alone, without his parents and his missing wife, he seemed to have switched to his dark side. He speaks mostly in sarcasm if ever those below him doesn't get his idea or their works are not to his satisfaction. His temper became distant and rigid. Worse, he can have the courage to straightforwardly insult Se Xunyi and disagree with the proposal of marriage towards Se Hong.

Even if Se Xunyi is black in anger, he can't do anything. House Gu has Gu Zixing's back, the emperor is someone close to him too. If Se Xunyi harms Gu Zixing, he will end up miserable.

Camellia flowers started to wither in House Gu's inner court. Only then did Gu Zixing notice autumn is coming. As his gaze fell on the red petal floating above the camellia tea, his cold heart was stirred.

"Zixing, have you really confiscated half General Se's soldiers?" Gu Jiaoyue asked. He sat across Gu Zixing, he invited him in the palace for an advice.

"I didn't confiscate them." He scoffed. Gu Zixing raised the cup and continued, "The soldiers are more convinced I won't fail them. They handed me their tiger tally, they are now in my command. Se Xunyi failed them since his father-in-law is Warlord Bai from the north."

"So, he is purposely giving up Tian for that old man." Gu Jiaoyue understood what those words meant. "Can you look for someone using those soldiers? I heard they are as capable as black guards."

"I assigned Yu Chi to train them, it made them better than black guards. However, who do you want to find?" Gu Zixing glanced at Gu Jiaoyue calmly. Once Gu Jiaoyue revealed a familiar red lace, his lashes fanned.

"Nian Xiaoyuan." Gu Jiaoyue placed the red lace before him. These past months, Hong Cha is still within his grasp but she had attempted a lot of suicide. He worried for her and wanted to control her again, by finding her husband. "He took her away last year, if you can still remember. Xiao Cha can't forget him."

Red silky robe slid off her slim shoulder. Hong Cha is about to take her night bath when she head a thump outside. She turned around and peeked from the door to see a person in dark martial suit going looking around. Hong Cha held the robe closer to her.

"Student Lou?" She pushed the door slightly. Hong Cha was stunned to meet the person's gaze. Those pair of warm amber eyes, she will never forget. Unknowingly, tears formed and strolled down her cheeks. Her heart beats loudly, mixed with fear, disbelief, bliss. Was it really him?

"Camellia." Gu Zixing was in the same state as her. He removed his veil and embraced her tightly. After so long, his search had come to an end. He looked at her again to make sure he wasn't just in a dream. Gu Zixing can barely hold back his feelings. He kissed her in pure longing. "Camellia, I'm here. I finally found you."

Hong Cha held unto his arms, she cried like a helpless lost child. He is indeed here. She had tried to kill herself after losing her virtue to someone else. A girl in this era had always treated their first time as something very precious. If one were to lose it not to their loved one, the only escape is through death. But how will she tell him she's no longer pure?

"Let's go. I will take you away from here." Gu Zixing made a firm decision. He can lose his position at court and cause enmity between him and Gu Jiaoyue but, so what? This is Hong Cha, the one he vowed to protect. He can't lose her too.

"Gu Zixing." She didn't move from her place. Gu Zixing turned to her and saw hesitation from her eyes. He frowned a bit but his keen sight noticed there was no longer a red mark on her chest.

Hong Cha was taken aback when he opened her robe. Gu Zixing was overwhelmed with his previous emotions. The mark is no longer there. He had never felt so hostile before, his fingers almost tearing apart the the fabric it holds.

"You..." His tone wavered. Gu Zixing looked up to her with a vicious glare. There was fear from her pretty eyes but such beauty can no longer convince him. A bitter laugh came from Gu Zixing and he let go of her. "Jiaoyue took it?"

"I was-" Hong Cha wanted to explain but Gu Zixing punched a wall to vent his frustration. The loud thump made her silent in fear. "Gu Zixing..."

"Goddamn it!" He cursed, no longer hiding his disappointment. Gu Zixing took care of her, he left everything for her and married her. When she said she doesn't want to, he agreed and respected her wishes. Yet, how ridiculous it is to find out another man took it?