Arc 7: Royal Deceit (263)

Gu Jiaoyue sat on the throne with an imposing air around him. He coldly looked at Gu Zixing's figure, drifting farther from him. He raised his hand and a eunuch arrived. "Write a letter to the Prime Ministers. From this day forth, Grand General Gu Zixing is no longer qualified to command the imperial guards and armies, no longer qualified to enter the court, no longer qualified to be House Gu's descendant. Zhen wants an edict that exiles Gu Zixing out of Tian."

The eunuch was startled. He was not listening to their conversation but he was scared to know the emperor wants to exile Gu Zixing and revoke him from his position. Gu Zixing had done good merits since his service. Moreover, everyone knows Gu Zixing and Gu Jiaoyue are sworn brothers. Why is it Gu Jiaoyue wants to humiliate Gu Zixing? Even go this far?

"Have you heard Zhen?" Gu Jiaoyue threw a sharp look at the eunuch who scrammed right away. He turned his attention at the large door and there was Gu Zixing's shadow, vanishing. Gu Jiaoyue raised the cup, throwing it with a loud crashing sound. He never expected there will be a day his trusted friend will be his greatest enemy.

Gu Zixing arrived in Hong Cha's courtyard. The servants failed to notice him and heard she is in a study. He went to the study to see its door closed.

"Camellia." He dare not open it or step inside. Gu Zixing knelt in front of the thin door but heard no sound. With his keen sense, he figured out Hong Cha is sitting behind the door too. He took out a paper from his sleeve and slid it inside. "I don't want a divorce."

Hong Cha reached for the paper but after hearing his words, she froze.

"I don't want to let you go." Gu Zixing clenched his fists, he can feel the poison spreading as his feelings numbed. He even felt cold. "Camellia, I know what will happen to me. I can guess Jiaoyue had removed me from my position, and I know he will exile me."

Hong Cha's hands trembled. She opened the paper and saw it was her divorce statement.

"Camellia, forgive me. I did kill General Hong, but it was his wish. I also led a group to look for your eldest brother but I did not plan to take his life. It was my miscalculation." Gu Zixing said and he reminisced the past.

At that time, Hong Qiuran had fallen into despair. He was severely injured and Lou Ying helped him escape. However, Hong Qiuran's injuries are killing him. Lou Ying is unwilling to give up but Hong Qiuran is clear that he will no longer live longer. That was when Gu Zixing found them. He introduced himself as Nian Xiaoyuan and was ready to help them go far from the battlefield. Hong Qiuran saw his token which is similar to Gu Jiaoyue's. He have a faint guess the young boy hid his true identity. When he sent Lou Ying to catch a wild deer, he told Gu Zixing to stay with him near a river.

Lou Ying left without suspecting a thing. Hong Qiuran told his laments to Gu Zixing and had given up. The pain of his injuries, his rotting wounds and poisoned body, it was torturing him. He wanted to die a swift death and he gave a dagger to Gu Zixing. He pleaded for death before Lou Ying can come back. What Hong Qiuran wished before dying is that Gu Zixing must save his family, even if Warlord Bai will kill his bloodline. Gu Zixing was reluctant but for the old man's peace, he stabbed the dagger straight to his heart. Lou Ying saw this and was frustrated, specially when he saw the northern army nearing their position. He thought Gu Zixing had planned everything and led the army to track them down. Lou Ying left in spite to search for the Hong Family.

The rest followed, his comrades saw him kill the invincible General Hong so Warlord Bai gave him promotion and raise his rank until he became a commander. On Hong Ji's case, Gu Zixing let his subordinate lead the group and excused himself. He wanted to look for Hong Ji but he heard a shout. It was too late, his group found Hong Ji and killed him right away. Gu Zixing thought he failed but he remembered Hong Ji's words. There is only one descendant who probably survived, Hong Cha.

As Hong Cha listened to Gu Zixing's confession, she felt ironic. What was her revenge for? What had she done? Who is wrong now?

"Camellia, I hope for your forgiveness. Even if I get exiled and can no longer enter Tian, I hope you won't forget." Gu Zixing stood up without making a sound.

When she heard his voice no longer, Hong Cha opened the door but he is not around. Her hand crumpled the paper as her lips opened. She laughed mockingly, bringing the divorce paper close to her chest and her chuckle turned to a sob.

"Gu Zixing!" She shouted but no one answered. "Gu Zixing! Come back!"

Hong Cha stood up to find him but the servants quickly arrived to stop her. "No! Let me go! Gu Zixing, he can't leave! Gu Zixing!"

"Your Highness, we can't let you go! His Majesty forbids you to!" The servant reminded but Hong Cha struggled desperately.

"Gu Zixing!" She shouted, her voice turning hoarse. In the end, Hong Cha was pushed inside the chamber. She fell on the ground weakly, her tears blurring the words she wrote on the parchment. "Gu Zixing..."

Were his name so endearing? No matter how it was spoken, it will still tug her heartstrings. Yet, when she shouted to call him, there was no response. He is not here anymore, he had left, when he had clearly promised in their youth that he won't leave, and will protect her solely.