Arc 7: Royal Deceit (271)

The red handkerchief was wrapped around a porcelain white vial that she had stored for months. It made her smile bitterly and she has been crying since she started drinking. However, it made her recall the bittersweet memory of her wedding day. The handkerchief was originally the veil she used that night. She can remember vividly how Gu Zixing lifted it for her and kissed her lips gently. He didn't go further and understood her. He is aware she is not ready yet. He was so patient and kind, she can't find anyone else better than him or the same as him. But why did fate twisted it all? Why take him away...?

"What's that?" The always rude Nian Xiaoyuan knelt next to her and tried to grab the object but Hong Cha protected it with her own figure. She clasped it tightly and bended her body to cover it. Nian Xiaoyuan scoffed. "So important? That's just a silk handkerchief. I have thousands of it."

Hong Cha gave him a faint glance. She slowly opened her hands and showed him what was inside the handkerchief. It was a white vial that was tightly sealed.

"For you, it was nothing. But for me, it was my most important possession." Hong Cha stared at the camellia embroideries over the red fabric.

"Heh, it can't be Emperor Yong is so poor he can only give you that small piece?" Nian Xiaoyuan ridiculed with a laugh. However, he came to notice she was smiling.

"Who said it came from that bastard?" Hong Cha scoffed. Gu Jiaoyue had given her the luxuries of all luxuries, he doted on her like a loving husband but she never gave what he wanted, her own heart. No matter how powerful and wealthy he is, he can't even compare himself to Gu Zixing just one bit. "This handkerchief came from my wedding veil. I embroidered it myself, and my husband fetched this silk fabric just for me to use."

"Wasn't Emperor Yong your husband?" He got stunned when Hong Cha cursed and said those ambiguous words.

Hong Cha stayed silent, feeling her chest getting stuffy. Her held back tears fell again.

"My husband..." She paused and embraced the objects tightly. Hong Cha's shoulder trembled as teardrops grazed her cheeks. "I missed him. I'm so sorry for him!"

Nian Xiaoyuan was silent, he have no words to say. His previous insults were stuck and swallowed. She was not acting or anything. He was someone who can easily see through others but at this moment, she was crying in genuine grief. Then, who is her husband? If not Emperor Yong, who else?

"Where is he?" His tone became low and the arrogance was lifted away. Nian Xiaoyuan wanted to know. He reached a conclusion Emperor Yong cheated just to get this woman for himself. He can't blame Emperor Yong, with a woman like Hong Cha, any man will feel the proudest and bliss.

"I miss him." Hong Cha cried out. She spoke unreserved and said, "It was my fault, my fault. If I had found a cure sooner, he would have been saved. If I wasn't blinded by hatred, he won't have to suffer. Gu Zixing, sorry, I'm sorry. Please come back to me. Don't you know? These two years, I was trying to study medicine just for you. I asked anyone I can just to look for you. But why...why say you are gone? Why break my faint hope? Are you being cruel too!?"

For two years, she blindly hoped he was still alive and studied medicine for him, to cure the poison Gu Jiaoyue gave him. All of a sudden, someone came to her doors and told her he was dead. Gu Jiaoyue withhold the information for more than a year and teach her a lesson. The greatest heartbreak caused her to be so devastated. Thinking back, their situation was much better when Gu Zixing was just a general. She can always see him guarding the palace gates, patrolling with his comrades, standing on his own. At least, at those days, she will meet him, cross paths with him, talk to him in quite a few exchange. It lasted for three years but the pain for the past two years are far greater. There was so many possibilities she doesn't want to calculate but the worst occurred. There was no Gu Zixing anymore, and no one can replace him.

"Sorry..." Hong Cha kept murmuring in the midst of her tears. She clasped the vial tightly where she stored the medicine. She always carried it with her in the hopes of meeting him, but it was useless now. Still, she never let it go. "Gu Zixing, I'm sorry."

Gu Zixing?

Nian Xiaoyuan kept that name in his head. He heard that name from Warlord Bai before, but he can't remember clearly. However, he knows Warlord Bai mentioned that name in full resentment. Yet when Hong Cha muttered that name, it sounds so beautiful and wonderful. She clearly longs for Gu Zixing. Nian Xiaoyuan heaved a sigh and remained there for a long time until Hong Cha fainted. He caught her and noticed how she protectively held the vial and handkerchief. Gu Zixing must be the luckiest already. Only he remained in her heart even after becoming the most favored concubine of an emperor. Gu Zixing's position was unshakable.

The steady vanity she had became nothing than a pretense to Nian Xiaoyuan. She was always unforgiving and cold but her vulnerability is far lethal than her beauty. Nian Xiaoyuan sighed as he brushed her hair off her round face. She had cried such, even in her dreams, she is sobbing and shivering. He don't get it though. She knows that man is dead, then why bother carry a heartbreak for so long? Why not get rid of that feeling and enjoy the desires of life? That way, won't she get better? Or, is she unwilling to forget him at all?

Whatever the answer is, Nian Xiaoyuan is curious to know. For him, love is unneeded as long as he is always the one on top, which never failed him. He stood alone and those women were nothing but an empty vase. He dedicated his life conquering and taking control of his country as it thrived equal with the almighty Tian Empire.

Then again, love? He never thought of encountering such thing. But now, he actually envied that Gu Zixing. He left such a committed woman this miserable. If it was him... Maybe, just maybe, he will cherish her.