Arc 7: Royal Deceit (241)

Three years later, the first snow occurred. The favored Imperial Noble Consort Hua stepped out from her palace without her maids. She reached out for the delicate snowflake and noticed the figure standing across her, across the vermillion bridge she often passed through whenever she goes to Emperor Yong's palace. At the other end of the bridge is the young Grand General Gu Zixing. They were silent like before, their past remains in the past. She was once that naive young girl, a nobody called Hong Cha. He was once that kind and gentlemanly young master, the previous heir of the ruined scattered House Gu, an appraised genius called Prince Yun.

Unfortunately, those were three years ago, three years before hatred and hopelessness overcame their heart. Now, Hong Cha became the lovely and peerless Imperial Noble Consort Hua. She is always besides Emperor Yong in every occasion, she is always pampered by him in every possible way, she is always the woman to receive Emperor Yong's affection. As for him, he became the Head Minister of Military Affairs, the youngest grand general too. He guards the inner palace from outsiders and for some reason, placed quite close to her residence. Thus, they frequently cross path but never showed the same devotion they had.

Hong Cha's lips arched very alluringly. She caught a snowflake and closed her palm, crushing it with the little force she exerted. Her phoenix eyes fell on Gu Zixing. He stared at her without much emotion but the gods knows how he hoped for her to finally cross the bridge.

"Your Highness! You can't go out at this sort of weather!" Her trusted servant, Xiao Wen; came forward in panic and draped a cloak over Hong Cha's shoulder. She mouthed her gratitude as Xiao Wen helplessly said, "Your Highness, why are you out again today? Last year, you did the same again. Two years ago, you also left the palace when the first snow fell."

Gu Zixing's grip at the spear tightened, as if he was to crush it with a little bit more force. Only he and she knows what the first fall of snow meant.

"Xiao Wen, call a carriage. I wish to visit His Majesty." Hong Cha softly said. Xiao Wen nodded and left. There are only the two of them again. Hong Cha finally crossed the bridge. Yet, when she reached his side, she merely gave him a glance. Hong Cha stopped upon getting past him. "Isn't this day memorable, Head Minister Gu?"

She never saw but Gu Zixing's eyes dulled and his lashes trembled in accordance. It took him a moment to respond. "Indeed, Your Highness."

Having heard the answer she wanted, Hong Cha left with a mocking laugh. Of course, this day is very memorable. On the first day of snow, they got married. No matter how much hatred she bears against him, no matter how much contempt he felt for her, they will never forget.

____________

"Bow to the Heavens and Earth."

"Bow to your parents."

"Bow to each other."

Hong Cha can't help but smile. She is finally married to Gu Zixing. They eloped at late fall and settled in a small town southeast. It is very lovely here with the so-called shore. Moreover, Meng Ziyan and Gu Shang gave their consent for their escape. Since Hong Qingning still needs House Gu's support to stabilize Gu Jiaoyue's position, she helped Meng Ziyan and Gu Shang hide from everyone about the elopement but she have no idea where they went. It was only unfortunate Meng Ziyan and Gu Shang aren't here yet.

They married low key and changed their identities. Here, everyone knew them as Nian Xiaoyuan and Song Cha Hua, a young couple finally united by the red string. Their neighbors cheered for the newlywed when they finished the rites. Gu Zixing led Hong Cha to the bridal chamber. On their way, he took a pause.

"What is it?" Hong Cha curiously asked. Hearing no answer, she nervously raised her veil and saw him reach forward. He opened his hand to show her a beautiful snowflake on his palm. Hong Cha gasped to see the first fall of snow.

"Today is quite special, huh." Gu Zixing held her hand and both of them appreciated the snowfall.

"At least we have an unstoppable remembrance." Hong Cha smiled and swung their entwined hands. "Every first snowfall, we will get reminded of this special occasion in our life. We will never forget, right?"

"I don't need the snowfall to remind me, Camellia. I will always remember." Gu Zixing held the veil before she can pull it down. She looks very gorgeous tonight, specially with the red brocade and veil she wore.

Once all guests are attended and Gu Zixing was given enough drinks, the guests finally left him alone.

"Oi, Yuan, don't get too excited!" One of them joked. Gu Zixing shook his head as they laughed.

Hong Cha opened the door for him. She can't help but titter. His cheeks were flushed red from getting too drunk and his steps are a bit sluggish.

"Had enough wine?" She laughingly asked. Gu Zixing nodded. Hong Cha handed him another cup with a different wine. "Will you, Gu Zixing, consume this nuptial wine as the promise of us being together in bitterness and bliss?"

Gu Zixing accepted the cup. They drank the wine at the same time, the final process to secure their marriage. Hong Cha became nervous. She knows what is meant to happen tonight.

Her heart thumped wildly when Gu Zixing cupped her face and leaned closer to her. He caressed her cheeks gently.

"Camellia, I will be always here to defend you and never let anyone hurt you. If ever you get tired one day, I will be here to help you recover and continue our journey together. I will be the one to suffer for your sake."

Hong Cha trusts his promises, he had never broken one. "I won't get tired of you."