Arc 7: Royal Deceit (236)

"Is this what it is all about? The empress position?" Hong Cha countered Hong Qingning without fear. "I never wanted that position, I never wanted to be an empress. I only wish to stay with the person I love and live peacefully with him. Aunt, it is difficult to be there, to be like you. You are indeed the empress but what good does it give? You have no freedom, you have to be in a harem, to be one of the choices the emperor can choose from just for a night-"

Pa!

A crisp slap resounded in the courtyard. Gu Zixing shielded her too late. Hong Cha's cheek was red with a palm mark. He can see her holding back her urge to cry.

"Camellia won't go to the palace." He firmly said. Gu Zixing will not let anyone take her away. He can risk anything for her at this moment. "Empress Qing, if you truly care, you will let her be happy."

Hong Qingning calmed herself and casted Hong Cha a fierce glimpse. "This is what you want? Alright, I will let you two be together for a week and see if you can find your 'happiness'. Additionally, I don't want your cousin to know this, Prince Yun. Do know he is the son of an emperor and you are the next leader of House Gu. His contempt will affect your clan. Hong Cha, you don't know what you're getting into. You will regret it if you marry this man!"

Gu Zixing knows, that is why he reconsidered everything whenever Gu Jiaoyue is around. House Gu is dependent to the main royal family, the same way the royal family depends on House Gu's wise generations. With Gu Chi Lian eliminated from the competition, Gu Jiaoyue is for sure, be crowned next. If Gu Jiaoyue finds out about Hong Cha and Gu Zixing, he might get upset and the brunt of his wrath will land on House Gu. It will be Gu Zixing's fault...

The Empress Qing of Tian was never to be underestimated. She had schemed against unruly and sly concubines to keep the harem at peace and get rid of her competitors. Youngsters like Gu Zixing are simple for her.

On the first day of that said week, an unexpected visitor arrived. Gu Zixing was in a hurry to receive the guest. He is unsure if he were to make up an excuse or lead the guest to Hong Cha.

"Jiaoyue, what made you come here?" Gu Zixing asked, a little bit flustered than his usual self.

"Zixing, you seemed to be restless these days." Gu Jiaoyue implied which caused Gu Zixing to be bothered. "Don't get stressed too much. You even forgot my birthday is tomorrow."

Gu Zixing wanted to curse. He was overthinking yesterday night and he forgot his own tradition that he set. A day before Gu Jiaoyue's birthday, he will always greet him earlier than anyone and spend time with him messing around with the old ministers for fun. He is the one to initiate their plans if he sees Gu Jiaoyue.

"I, well, I apologize. I was away for four years, I forgot. It's your 22nd birthday, ah." Gu Zixing quickly made up a lie. Back then, he have thought of this possibility since Gu Jiaoyue took his place to study at West Wu and he have to go northwards but he promised to himself not to neglect.

"Hey, Zixing." Gu Jiaoyue's tone became serious. Gu Zixing was worried Gu Jiaoyue knows something. "What's bothering you? It's 'our' birthday tomorrow!"

"Shit, was it?" Gu Zixing was taken aback and cursed too. He earned a look of ridicule from Gu Jiaoyue. He was worrying too much he forgot he was born the same day as Gu Jiaoyue.

"You finally learn how to curse?" Gu Jiaoyue raised a brow. He had known Gu Zixing his whole life and he kept a clean record of not swearing ever since birth. "Anyway, a blessed birthday for both of us. I want to invite Xiao Cha."

"I'll tell her." Gu Zixing suddenly thought of a scene Gu Jiaoyue being alone with Hong Cha. It was an eyesore, extremely unpleasant!

"Zixing, are you that old? A day before the celebration, you should be prepared. I already fixed everything I will need so I won't bother you today. I can speak with her." He had never seen Gu Zixing's neglectful side before and it surprised him inwardly.

"Young Master." A eunuch approached them just as they got close to Hong Cha's residence. "Young Master, the Headmaster and Madame wished to speak with you regarding tomorrow's special occasion."

Gu Zixing was unwilling but he can't disrespect their wishes.

"Zixing, you better go." Gu Jiaoyue urged.

Without a choice, Gu Zixing left with the eunuch. Gu Jiaoyue frowned for a moment. Something is definitely wrong with Gu Zixing these days.

Gu Jiaoyue proceeded to a different residence. The servants told him Hong Cha had changed her courtyard after the maids there were killed. As he stepped by the moon gate, he immediately saw her. Hong Cha is underneath a maple tree, writing something on a parchment. A little servant girl is next to her, giggling from time to time.

"Young Miss, you can do better." The servant girl tittered after seeing the sweet cheesy words Hong Cha was writing. She is trying to copy Gu Zixing's habit of poetry as her gift for tomorrow. However, she never learnt in an imperial academy and was homeschooled with the four arts. Hong Cha was struggling.

"Why is he so good at this? I mean, he makes it so easy. You saw that once too, right? We were here and he composed a poem without writing it down." Hong Cha was in disbelief. She thought making catchy and meaningful poetry is as effortless as Gu Zixing did. He only takes a moment to create one and it skillfully catches her heart to listen more. "Uhm, you are the stars at night, guiding me in... What should I put here?"

"Perhaps 'guiding me in my darkest plight'."

"Oh, that's a good one, Xiao Wen." Hong Cha immediately wrote it down but she realized that voice was a man's. She looked up in shock to see Gu Jiaoyue standing behind her and reading the poem. "Ah! Who are you?!"

Gu Jiaoyue didn't react the slightest bit when she stood up and went far from him. Hong Cha paused, he look very familiar. Not because he saved her that day, but something else. His arrogant calmness, hooded gaze, indifferent dark eyes, and imposing temper...

Hong Cha's tense slowly vanished. "Prince Brother...?"