Arc 7: Royal Deceit (115)

Another serene night came by. Hong Cha had retired to her room, unable to sleep at all. It was the same in another chamber, Gu Zixing can't sleep either. He was wondering, he must have gone too strict towards her. He had restrained her too much just for that possibility he realized. What if Empress Qing only wanted her niece back? What if Gu Jiaoyue doesn't intend to marry Hong Cha?

"I messed up." Gu Zixing face-palmed. He heaved a deep sigh and started thinking of how to approach her tomorrow. His train of thoughts broke when he heard a knock on the door.

"Lucky? Prince Yun? Your Highness?"

"Just get inside." Gu Zixing unhappily said. He knew Alexander is stirring trouble.

"Hey, you look quite lonely and pathetic, huh?" Alexander greeted unusually and stepped into the room. He received a scoff from Gu Zixing. "This isn't like you at all. What's wrong? Had a big fight with your wife?"

"Don't you think being too good looking will kill you someday?" He countered back.

"Oh, not bad if I get surrounded by beauties to my last breath." Alexander joked even though he knew Gu Zixing have a terrible mood. He chuckled upon seeing Gu Zixing's glare. The Gu Zixing he knows wasn't this annoyed, he is always carefree and cheerful. "Alright, I won't joke anymore. Just tell me what's wrong with you."

Gu Zixing kept his mouth shut. He leaned on the headboard and closed his eyes, "I owe Miss Hong an apology. It's been two days and I hadn't said anything. Do you think, if I apologize tomorrow, she will still be the same?"

"Pfft!" Alexander covered his mouth to avoid laughing since Gu Zixing is looking at him dangerously. He must be cautious, ah. Or else, he'll end up in a grave alive. "Ehem! Why do you keep overthinking? This is not you. Talk to her and admit your mistake, she will surely smile to you again. I also experienced this before and argued with a girl. It's very difficult to please them, you know. You can spend the whole day scrubbing a house or even washing clothes but it won't be enough. You're lucky if she accepts your apology without doing tasks."

"So you're a minister under the skirt!" GI Zixing retracted his serious face and mocked Alexander who turned grim. He laughed at Alexander's misfortune. "I must meet this girl you said to salute her. I didn't know you will be so obedient as that, haha!"

"You'll also experience this once you get married!" Alexander crossed his arms and looked away in anger.

"Wait, you're married?"

This caused Alexander to pause.

"Where is she?" Gu Zixing continued to ask.

"Well, she died from a plague." His tone softened and his gaze became dull. "Our hometown was suffering from a new plague that killed a lot, she is one of them. I have to leave and search for the medicine for it until I arrived here."

Alexander glanced at Gu Zixing and smiled a bit. He can see his young self from Gu Zixing. Once afraid to admit he had fallen for this woman they can't be with.

"Anyway, you should make up your mind and try tomorrow. Do know, you are lucky she is still there for you." He said and left the room silently.

When the doorknob clicked and locked, Gu Zixing came back to his senses. "What does he mean by that? Alexander, you Old White! I'm not in that relationship with her!"

By the next day, Hong Cha woke up early. She has been helping with the house chores here and she wants to learn how to cook. After getting ready, she tied up her hair with the red lace. She headed to the kitchen but she smells something burning. Her nose crunched. She heard Alexander's laughter. Hong Cha peeked from the opened door to witness something ambiguous.

"You're really a bad learner!" Alexander laughed at Gu Zixing who is trying to cook. "Here, let me try."

"No, I'll do it!" Gu Zixing argued.

They tried to fight over the utensil for cooking and none backed out. Hong Cha frowned, they are old friends so they are childish. But her mind changed when they slipped. Gu Zixing was above and he tried to snatch it from Alexander who is beneath him. He was wedged between Alexander's legs!

Hong Cha's jaw almost dropped at the sight.

"Prince Yun, get off! You're violating me!" Alexander said although he was laughing.

"Not until I get what I want!" Gu Zixing attempted to take the utensil but Alexander threw it to the door.

That is when they raised their head to look at it but saw Hong Cha picking it up. She gave them a strange look and she can't hide her blushing cheeks.

Hong Cha cleared her throat, "Are you two cooking or...flirting?"

"What?" The two men drew a question mark but they came to notice they are in an inappropriate position. The atmosphere became awkward as they quickly pushed each other.

"This is your fault!" Gu Zixing accused Alexander who just rolled his eyes.

"Aren't you a unusual pervert, hm? Getting on top of someone older?" Alexander grinned mockingly and Gu Zixing lost as his face reddened.

"You two made a mess. I kept this kitchen clean for days!" Hong Cha's shout made them stop bickering. She glared at them, "Clean this up, or no breakfast."

"Of course!" Alexander quickly agreed. He elbowed Gu Zixing since he wasn't even reacting.

"You! What was that for?!"

"You've got a lovely woman, eh?" Alexander teased in a whisper while picking the scattered materials on the kitchen table. Hong Cha wasn't looking so he continued, "A woman like her is a keeper~."

"Will you shut up?" Gu Zixing ignored what Alexander said. He knew his friend was teasing him but his heart is beating crazily.

"Alright, alright. But first, go apologize now." Alexander pushed him closer to Hong Cha and winked, "I'll clean, go apologize now."