Arc 7: Royal Deceit (219)

"Your Highness! You're finally back!" Just as Hong Cha followed Gu Zixing to a hallway, a beautiful girl ran towards them. Hong Cha and the girl paused to look at each other. The girl was dressed in light green dress with a very lovely heart-shaped face.

"Zhao Xue, careful. You don't have to run that way." Gu Zixing gently smiled. He stepped back and introduced Hong Cha, "Zhao Xue, this is Empress Qing's niece, Miss Hong Cha. Miss Hong Cha, this is my maidservant, Zhao Xue. Can you find her a residence?"

"Your Highness..." Zhao Xue is about to speak again when another rushed footsteps hurried to them.

"Zi'er!"

"My son!"

Immediately, Gu Zixing was embraced by two figures. One slim, one tall. Hong Cha felt her heart skip. They must be his parents. She must say, he looks more like his mother!

"Zi'er, where have you been these years? How can you leave just like that!?"

"Ziyan, dear, calm down." Her husband, Gu Shang, quickly tried to soothe her. It was ineffective since Meng Ziyan raised her voice.

"Calm down? Calm down?! Our son left for four years! I've been angry at Qingning for four years because of this! How dare she send him to the north, how dare you agree too!"

"Mother, I'm fine." Gu Zixing hurriedly interfered. If he doesn't, his father won't last for dinner tonight...

"You." Meng Ziyan also pointed at him. "Do you think you are safe from me? You good for nothing, frolicking, kid! You lied to me that you are going to enter an academy at West Wu!"

"Father, stop her!" Gu Zixing stepped back when she is about to pinch his ear. He accidentally bumped into Hong Cha and they steadied each other. "Camellia, sorry, sorry. I didn't mean to."

"It's okay." Hong Cha tittered. His mother is quite fierce, it's funny to watch them.

"Oh my..."

"My son brought a wife!"

Hong Cha and Gu Zixing were stunned. Meng Ziyan seemed to be frozen on her spot while Gu Shang is kowtowing to the skies.

"Finally, finally, I will see little grandchildren soon!" Gu Shang nearly cried from gratefulness. His son has been declining a lot of marriage proposals that many aristocrats cursed Gu Zixing to end up alone. They even thought he likes his cousin!

"Stop, you're embarrassing me. Father, get up! Mother-, where is she?" Gu Zixing turned around and to his surprise, Meng Ziyan is already in front of Hong Cha while holding her hands.

"Such a skinny girl. Was Zi'er even feeding you right? Oh, little miss, I am so sorry he maltreated you. Don't divorce, alright?" Meng Ziyan coaxed Hong Cha whose face can't be painted.

"I guess...?" She reluctantly answered and glanced at Gu Zixing for help.

"Mother, no. She's not-"

"Mrs. Gu, I am not Prince Yun's wife." Hong Cha said, relieving Gu Zixing's embarrassment. "We're best friends."

"Puu!" Gu Zixing was taken aback that he choked.

"Oh." Meng Ziyan was not disappointed the least. She have plans in mind, best friends are not that far from something...

"Where are you from, then, little miss?" Gu Shang asked. He really have too high expectation to his son. Why did he even believe Gu Zixing can bring home a daughter-in-law?

"I... From the border. Prince Yun was looking for me for some months. He said he went to an academy for three years and searched for me per my Aunt Qingning's request. But, since my aunt isn't here yet, Prince Yun agreed to let me stay here for a while. If it is fine with you-"

"Definitely, dear!" Meng Ziyan patted her hand gently. She can't wait to be a matchmaker, and a grandmother soon. "We are so sorry for how we acted. Quick, come with us. Let us show you around the manor. Zi'er, don't be rude with your guest. Follow us, will you? Ah, Xue'er, can you look for a residence for the guest? The closer to my son's courtyard, the better."

"As Madame wishes." Zhao Xue complied. She retrieved her bow when they left. Zhao Xue furrowed her brows. "Young Master has a female friend? I don't trust her at all."

Hong Cha can't believe how welcoming Meng Ziyan and Gu Shang are. She thought they are so strict. With how kind and perfect Gu Zixing was raised, she expected his parents to be someone overbearing. They are not. Meng Ziyan is a sweet woman, she also keeps her company. Gu Shang is with his son and he is quite a cool father, as if he isn't a prince to begin with.

It was getting darker. They finally let the two free so they can get prepared for dinner. Hong Cha walked with Gu Zixing to their residence. She was informed her residence is close to Gu Zixing's. While their shoes tapped on the concrete road, Hong Cha can't stop and giggled.

"Something funny?" Gu Zixing became confused. The young girl looked at him and laughed sweetly.

"I'm just happy. And you look so funny all this time!" Hong Cha laughed, she even playfully nudged his elbow.

Gu Zixing huffed helplessly with his lips arched to a charming faint smile. He remembered the first time they met. She wasn't as cheerful as this. He is glad she is fine now.

"Enough, stop laughing." Gu Zixing said although his tone wasn't annoyed. "My parents are just too excited to be grandparents. Don't mind them if they get weird towards us."

"Hey, they're quite nice. I envy you." She softly added. Gu Zixing paused his steps, she also did. "Did I say something wrong?"

Gu Zixing shook his head. His heart just stings from the guilt consuming his lies.

"Camellia." He stepped forward and held both her hands. Gu Zixing sighed and looked intently through her clear enchanting eyes. "Consider us your second family. I won't mind if you become part of House Gu. Being an only child is kind of lonely, and Mother longed for a daughter to dress up."

"You want me to be your sister...?" Hong Cha tilted her head a bit.

"If you put it that way, yes."

The young girl raised a brow before tittering. She tapped his hand and walked forward, "Big Bro, you wouldn't want incest."

"What?" Gu Zixing was confused, big time. What does she mean by incest?