Arc 7: Royal Deceit (221)

Gu Zixing didn't retire for the night yet. He went to his study room and sat before a table filled with scriptures and books. It has been four years since he last stayed here. He was not that competitive in the imperial academy but he just love to study, the reason he became an outstanding young scholar within Tian. Although he brought pride to House Gu, the emperor wasn't happy. Gu Jiaoyue kept being pressured to surpass Gu Zixing, because he is the crown prince and he must not let others defeat him. It was a good thing Gu Zixing is a close friend of Gu Jiaoyue and they spoke about it. So, Gu Zixing made a decision for the best of everyone. He agreed to search for Hong Cha, left the opportunities the academy could offer and let Gu Jiaoyue become the next prodigy.

Sure enough, when he was out of their way, Gu Jiaoyue became more successful. The emperor started favoring Gu Jiaoyue more than anyone else. Tian wanted to elect Gu Jiaoyue because they see him as a wise future emperor that will lead them to a better life. It was great and Gu Zixing wasn't regretting a thing. He never wanted to be a politician House Gu expected him to, he wanted to be just like his master, the Grand General Se. Someone less with words and more with work. Ever since young, he had admired the warriors he read from books. He wanted to protect and serve Tian. It will be a win-win situation if Gu Jiaoyue inherits the throne too.

"Zi'er?"

Gu Zixing stopped from reading the scriptures. He opened the door and greeted his father.

"Ah, I haven't walked in here for four years." Gu Shang said. He never entered this study because he wanted to keep it as it was when his son left. "Say, where did you exactly meet this Young Miss Hong? She did a good job covering up for you. You never went to Wu, you gave that opportunity to your cousin."

"I met her in Bai Regimen." Gu Zixing was honest with his father. Gu Shang keeps his secret well and they had agreed not to spill anything to Meng Ziyan. She will surely have a breakdown if she were to know her son infiltrated a different country hostile to Tian.

"She's quite an interesting girl. I know she has been lying for your sake. She is concerned."

"I can't blame her. Camellia often tells me she wanted to repay me for saving her at north. Ever since An Country fell, she suffered at Bai Regimen." He doesn't want to mention she is a part of an illegal brothel. What if Gu Shang and Meng Ziyan judge Hong Cha and treat her unfairly if they were to know?

"Son, that is not what I see." Gu Shang chuckled. When will his son stop playing dumb around women? "Don't you think, she likes you?"

"Huh?" Gu Zixing froze. He must admit, they are pretty intimate on their way here and Hong Cha kissed him out there. He was always thinking, she was messing around. She was only teasing him. He never concluded, nor will he assume she truly likes him.

"Aha~! You like Miss Hong Cha, she also feels the same. What is stopping you, ah? Or are you a coward?"

"What? No! I mean-, it's impossible!" Gu Zixing denied quickly. Why do people keep assuming he likes Hong Cha?

"Then, do you want her to marry another man? Do you want her to forget you?"

Gu Zixing opened his mouth to speak but his voice was constrained. He pondered deeply and the first word that came in his mind was 'no'. Just thinking of her being with someone else, it made him feel annoyed...

"Father, don't be ridiculous." He shook his head and gazed at the opened scripture. "I don't want to talk about this nonsense."

"Alright. My last heed though, you will lament if you won't risk. You know how I married your mother? She was only a foreign princess back then, and she caught so many men's heart when she visited with her father, a high ranking prince everyone feared. Only I got the courage to court her and it wasn't in vain. Even though my father-in-law is scary and quite tough to deal with, hehe." Gu Shang went to the door and glanced at Gu Zixing. He noticed the reluctance from his eyes. He reckoned to himself, "Aiya, Zi'er. You don't want to compete with your cousin again? All your life, you had given him what was supposed to be yours. If you were to give up that girl too, your life will never be complete."

Gu Zixing leaned on the chair once the door closed. He leaned his cheek on his hand and contemplated thoroughly. However, his calmness was broken when he thought of Hong Cha marrying another guy. He noticed too late that his other hand had scratched on the armrest before balling into fist.

The following days, Hong Cha failed to meet Gu Zixing. She had wondered what happened. When she asked Meng Ziyan who is always with her, she would say Gu Zixing visited his teacher, the Grand General Se. Meng Ziyan actually doesn't want Gu Zixing to learn how to fight. She wanted him safe but her son is too stubborn.

Hong Cha was beginning to feel guilty. Was it because of that half-hearted kiss? Did that disgust him? That's why he is purposely evading her!

On her way to her residence, Hong Cha bumped into someone. She nearly fell but a pair of arms caught her. At first, she thought it was Gu Zixing but his scent was different. She looked up and to her surprise, it was Gu Chi Lian.

"Fair maiden, be careful." Gu Chi Lian said in an ambiguous tone. Hong Cha hurriedly stood up and avoided his touch.

"Your Highness, I apologize." She bowed not to disrespect a royalty. Hong Cha hastily left but she glanced at Gu Zixing's residence. The gate was open and she saw Zhao Xue arranging her dress. Hong Cha quickened her pace. Zhao Xue and Gu Chi Lian, did they...?