Arc 7: Royal Deceit (243)

Lou Ying knew she got married. Hong Qingning told him. Lou Ying kept his hatred hidden, he can still remember that day vividly, the day Gu Zixing betrayed them and killed Hong Qiuran, Hong Cha's father. He badly wanted to tell Hong Cha everything but Hong Qingning told him to conceal the truth. Hong Cha may not take it too well if she were to know she married the wrong person. There will be a time Hong Qingning will reveal the truth to Hong Cha. For now, he is not here to break them completely apart. Lou Ying exhaled and eased his brows, his dark pupils slowly calmed.

"Young Miss, this is for your own good." Lou Ying raised his hand and his eyes became hooded as he gave his signal.

Hong Cha felt a sting on her neck. She slowly turned back and her vision blurred but she is able to see a countless black figures behind her. Hong Cha lost consciousness and her body turned limp. Lou Ying carried her and removed the needle stuck to her neck. He looked back one more time with his gaze cold even though he can see the flame engulfing the humble house. Lou Ying stepped out of the residence, soldiers surrounded them and prevented other people from putting off the fire.

Soon, rumors spun in the town. A noble young lady related to the empress dowager had eloped with a young man. They knew it was the one they knew as Song Cha Hua and Nian Xiaoyuan. A week later, an important figure wanted to visit the town. The chief officer had everyone lined up to greet the official's arrival. From the information they got, this official is the cousin of the new emperor, the Headmaster of House Gu and the royal advisor at the same time.

They were all surprised to find out it was a young man donning a green crane-embroidered robe. What they expected would be an old minister with a wise bearing but this person seemed scholarly. Furthermore, it was none other than Gu Zixing!

"Headmaster, that is the chief to receive you." Gu Zixing's guard informed him. He only hummed and reigned the steed to turn to a different direction.

"Chief, all of you, please get up. I'm only here to fetch my wife, there's no need for a fuss this way." Gu Zixing smiled, he can't hide his excitement to finally see Hong Cha. Gu Jiaoyue gave him permission to leave the imperial court for a while. They also had a deal that once Gu Zixing returns, he will bring his wife for Gu Jiaoyue to meet. He hopes this is a better way to approach Gu Jiaoyue since lately, he noticed Gu Jiaoyue is not that worried for Hong Cha's whereabouts.

The town chief looked at his fellow officers solemnly. Gu Zixing is about to leave them but the town chief spoke.

"Lord Gu, a group of soldiers and black guards came here last week. They took Miss Song, and burned the residence."

Upon hearing this, Gu Zixing's irises shrunk. Without a word, he rushed the steed to the residence. He ignored the worried shout of his guards and stopped before an ashen empty yard. Gu Zixing's grip on the rein tightened, he got back to his senses after feeling his nails digging through his palm.

"Yu Chi." He turned to his main guard with a resolute image. Gu Zixing is guessing this was done by Empress Qing or Se Xunyi made a move. When he returned at the capital city, Se Xunyi revoked Gu Zixing from his apprenticeship. He is also bringing trouble to Gu Zixing every morning court sessions. "Investigate who is behind this. I will search for her."

Hong Cha was restless. She has been locked up in a bedchamber after Lou Ying brought her back to the palace. She can't leave even a step out. Fortunately, Hong Qingning sometimes agreed for her to have a stroll outside if she doesn't mention anything about Gu Zixing. Unfortunately, Lou Ying is guarding her. He is difficult to convince and she knew how stubborn he can be, like the way he followed her father's advice. Hong Cha felt hopeless. She hoped Gu Zixing will find out where she is.

She can't count how many days had passed but one time, she caught a glimpse of Gu Jiaoyue paying a visit to Hong Qingning. He only stays for few minutes and will leave later. Hong Cha have no way out, aside from him. When he returned again, she peeked from the balcony and threw a balled paper with a heavy jewelry inside it. Gu Jiaoyue had just entered the palace gate but the paper didn't reach his side. He noticed it roll towards a pond. He raised his head to finally see Hong Cha at the balcony. She hurriedly hid when the eunuch turned his attention to her direction.

Gu Jiaoyue felt something is off. He definitely saw her getting joyous once he caught sight of her but why does she have to hide from the eunuch? As he thought of this, Gu Jiaoyue decided to keep silent.

"Foster Mother, a palace maid told me you have a guest?" Gu Jiaoyue asked to pry for more information. He has been searching for Hong Cha but he didn't think he will find her here.

"That palace maid is right. I found my niece quite some time ago and she has been staying here, afraid of that man that took her away daringly." Hong Qingning made up a lie. She raised her teacup and glanced at Lou Ying. "Do you wish to speak with her?"

Gu Jiaoyue hesitated. He nodded in the end. He wanted to know what is going on.

"Ying, fetch Xiao Cha. Tell her the Emperor is looking for her." Hong Qingning formed a faint confident smile. At last, there is no Gu Zixing. She have enough time to cultivate these two.