Arc 7: Royal Deceit (254)

Luckily, the weather receded that day and they are able to return in Chang'an. Hong Cha sat quietly on the steed while Gu Zixing is right behind her. She bit her lip and thought why she was nice to him even for a short moment. She had vowed to have everyone pay for what they've done to her, and he is far sinful than Hong Qingning. Yet, why, when she was in his embrace, she felt secured and satisfied? Why did her hatred vanish?

Hong Cha's train of thoughts went to a stop upon hearing Gu Zixing cough. She turned to him and saw his expression got complicated. His face is a bit pale too.

"You should call a physician later." She coldly said even though her words pointed out her obvious concern.

Gu Zixing smiled faintly. Her worry is not that well hidden. He only lost some internal heat after transferring qi towards Hong Cha to protect her from winter's harshness. Maybe by tomorrow, he will feel better.

Once they reached the inn, Hong Cha immediately headed to their room. She reverted back to her usual indifference. At first, she doesn't really care. But, that night, she can no longer pretend. Gu Zixing was the one to catch fever. She didn't see him at dinner and found him in their room, unconscious at the bed's foot. His temper was high but his whole person is shaking a bit. Hong Cha shook his shoulder.

"Head Minister?" She turned him around but there was no response. His slender eyebrows were furrowed and his eyes are tightly shut. Gu Zixing was breathing heavily. "Head Minister Gu, get up."

Gu Zixing hissed from the coldness he felt. His eyes opened up a little but the familiar scent of Hong Cha cleared his head. He felt her holding him up and pitifully dragging him on the bed. Hong Cha's warm hands left all of a sudden. Even with the severe pain, he hastily grabbed her wrist.

"Stay." He pleaded with a raspy voice. Gu Zixing coughed fervently and Hong Cha hurried to his side.

"You idiot, how did you get sick? Are you that feeble?" Hong Cha felt a headache. She stood up and added, "Wait here. I will look for a physician. I told you to consult one but you didn't listen. Humph, serves you right."

"You care..." Gu Zixing murmured with closed eyes. Hong Cha paused on her steps and glanced at him. He seemed to be resisting the fever but those two words made her heart quiver.

"No. You are a general, you helped His Majesty conquer An. I can't let you die this easily." Hong Cha knew deeply that those were just excuses, and she still cares for him. But their past was pulling her back to darkness and she doesn't wish to drag him further.

After a while, Xiao Wen entered the bedroom. She holds a tray holding a bowl of medicine and a satchel.

"Lord Gu, the medicine is ready." Xiao Wen informed. She placed them on the bedside table and saw that he wasn't intending to sit up. "Lord Gu, if you don't consume the medicine, all of Her Highness' effort will go to waste. She sent this servant to gather the herbs she needed and made this medicine herself. Oh, she also has a caramel candy with it. She said it can dispel the bitter taste of medicine."

"Where is she?" Gu Zixing asked and sat upwards. Xiao Wen smiled brightly.

"Her Highness is-"

"Xiao Wen, you can leave." Hong Cha melodic voice permeated in the room. Xiao Wen nervously left but Hong Cha have no thoughts of scolding her for telling that to Gu Zixing. She learnt medicine and poison from Alexander and she is quite good at it. There is no choice too because the physicians are aiding other sick people too.

Hong Cha took the bowl and scooped the medicinal soup. She lightly blew on it before drawing it closer to Gu Zixing's lips. For a while, none of them spoke. Although the amount is small, it tastes extremely awful. Gu Zixing didn't complain, he was too focused staring at her lovely countenance.

"Take the candy from that satchel to help you remove the taste." Hong Cha stood up and placed the bowl on the tray but Gu Zixing didn't do as she said. "Head Minister, did you hear me?"

"Mn. But, I'd rather have it fed to me." Gu Zixing ambiguously said.

Hong Cha sat across him with an unreadable expression. She took a candy from the satchel and bit it.

"I'll have it then-"

To her shock, Gu Zixing pulled her and kissed her deeply. Hong Cha can taste the bittersweet flavor lingering between their lips. His extreme warmth caused her to feel weak and her temper started to rise. Hong Cha's clenched fists slowly loosened, her eyebrows met as if resisting the comforting intimacy. Gu Zixing tasted the candy and snatched it from her mouth. He sucked her lips one last time, and bit the lower one gently. Hong Cha breathed heavily but her blushing face is turning grim.

"It is sweet." Gu Zixing finally had a taste. He could have taken it a step forward to warm himself but his headache bugged him.

"You hooligan!" Hong Cha accused and stormed out of the room. She heard Gu Zixing's chuckle and it increased her embarrassment.