Chapter one hundred and fifteen

Anakin and I waited in the hanger for Ahsoka to arrive. We'd been there ever since Obi wan called us a half hour ago, letting up know Ahsoka was on her way to our location. Anakin also held Ari in her arms, the girl passed out with a little purple paint of her cheek. He adjusted his hold on her, shifting her up so she wouldn't slip out his arms.

As the hanger shield pulled away we both stood with baited breath watching the shuttle fly in. It landed central to the landing strip, the both of us approaching before it had even lowered its ramp. As the hydraulics hissed I squinted and just caught sight of Ahsoka's silhouette. She looked taller in person, walking her way down towards us and giving a small smile as she caught sight of the three of us.

"It's good to see you again masters, and, congratulations."
She greeted in a slightly hushed manner likely for Ari's sake. At the end she nodded towards my baby bump with a small smile. It had r even occurred to me she wasn't aware we were having another baby.

"Thank you Ahsoka, it's so good to see you again." I replied stepping forward and giving her a brief hug. She didn't seem to be in an affectionate mood, I didn't want to make her uncomfortable.

"Yes, it's amazing to see you again Ahsoka - there's so much we have to catch up on."
Anakin stepped forward speaking excitedly. He was so happy to see her again, but she, she just seemed distracted by something.

"It's good to see you too master...but I really don't have time to catch up, the people of Mandolore needs us now." Ahsoka replied being the serious one here. Of course I was proud to here her being so responsible but at the same time I felt awful for Anakin seeing the disappointed puppy look in his eyes.

"We understand of course, come alone this way, the troops are ready for you now." I replied, quietly taking Anakin's hand as I did so and giving it a little squeeze. He was understandably upset at her reaction, remaining quiet as he held Ari close.

"Thank you." Ahsoka replied and the four of us began on our way down the halls. Anakin stayed quiet and hung back, this obviously wasn't the reunion he was waiting for. But how could it be? Everything changed back then, our lives were turned around and none of us would ever be the same.

I could see that in Ahsoka's eyes now. She'd grown up so much during the last months, it was all in her eyes. The aqua had never regained the shine it had before Ari's death, it still held the quiet dim scars of grief. Just being here again, I could see how tense her shoulders were...

No this wasn't the reunion any of us had hoped for...

It would all be far simpler when we finally found peace.

Making our way threw the halls a number of clones stopped to salute Ahsoka. She seemed confused by this, brows furrowing as she bowed back to them out of her own sense of respect. Turning away from the main corridor Ahsoka walked a little closer to us.

"Why are they saluting me, I'm no longer their commander." Ahsoka spoke in a slightly hushed manner as she came over and looked from the back of the clones up to Anakin. The corner of Anakin's lips pulled up into a small smile.

"It's their way of showing their respect, in their eyes you're still a valued leader," Anakin replied as another couple more clones stopped to salute the torgruta. "You're still a part of the family Ahsoka, in their, our eyes, you always will be." Anakin emended taking his hand from mine and placing it upon her shoulder. Though it was evident Ahsoka tried to remain diligently un-attached I still managed to see a small smile slip up upon her lips. She still cared, I hope Anakin saw that. He needed to know that it wasn't because she moved on that she acted this way, rather it was the same as the reason he never came back to Coruscant. While the people were suffering there was no time for niceties...we must do our duty for the republic.