Part 57

Lily POV

"Y'all think it's funny but I'm telling you

"Y'all think it's funny but I'm telling you. Your mother was a handful growing up. She used to be all over the place playing with boys. I would walk from our house to the school to pick her up and every time I got there she was playing some stupid games like the little tomboy that she was. I used to wonder how she was so hyperactive. She used to be bursting bamboo behind the school, climbing mango trees, racing on the fields, any and everything you could think of she did it." Granny was telling us stories of what our mom was like back when they all lived in Barbados and who could hear this and not crack up. Arlena had a big smile on her face no doubt probably picturing our mother like the wild animal she seemed to have been.

"There was one time, I got off work late and I went to pick her up. I got to the school and it's like a ghost town. Had that happened in the states they would've probably called child services on me. I get to the school and I'm looking for your mom high and low. Most of the teachers were gone and the few that were there were wrapping up to leave or preoccupied so her principal called her on the intercom, still no sign of your mom. At this point I'm getting worried. I'm searching every inch of the school with the help of the watchman now and we see your mother hanging on the damn monkey bars. I matched over to her and I just remember being so mad. She saw me and freaked out because she already knew I had warned her to stop giving me reason to come searching for her on afternoons. As if it wasn't bad enough I was tired from looking for her, she fell off the monkey bars and broke her arm. I had to wait in the hospital another few hours with that child before we got home."

"Oh my gosh, mom was a terror! Can't say this is a surprise I mean not much has changed and we been knew right Liyah?" Arlena laughed.

"Poor granny, you were probably elated to shoved her into dance class so at least she was occupied."

"Aaliyah you have no idea. By the time your aunt and uncle came along, she had began to mature so I didn't have to worry about that not even when she had no dance classes. You better believe she learnt her lesson with."

"She didn't have a choice." I joked.

This was so refreshing. I always enjoy family time. Arlena and I were cozy in our sweaters since the temperature had began to drop for the season. We were sipping on our sweet wine whilst granny sat with her ginger tea. I can only imagine how much better it's going to be once the entire family is here. I have so many plans for my sisters and I. I'm definitely taking Daysha all over the city and we'll be going to the zoo for sure. The only thing she'll have to worry about is drinking because unlike Barbados, the age to drink is 21 in the U.S. Nonetheless, I never claimed to be the best influence so you already know once she's with me she gon have alcohol one way or another. In the next few weeks, we gon have a full house. Praise the lord my uncle did some renovations on the house last year so have enough space for everyone. Daysha could share my room, Arlena could have her room to herself, Mom and dad could take the guest room, plus there's still Chris bedroom since he's technically not living here anymore. This is going to be one exciting Christmas.