Part 73

Lily POV

A weekend getaway is exactly what I needed

A weekend getaway is exactly what I needed. I've been feeling so overwhelmed lately with just about everything. Danny and I booked a flight to Florida for the weekend and I made sure to let my girl Shar know that I'd be in town for two days.

Danny, Shar, Zina (Danny's bestie) and I have been on the beach for the best three hours. The cool breeze, sand between my toes, the sound of crashing waves, mimosas, pizza and friends sounds like a pretty great way to spend my Saturday.

My family is leaving the country as soon as next month. It's crazy how quickly the time with them went by. My mom will be in LA for a while before she returns to Barbados though because she has some performances to get ready for. Currently, she's preparing for the biggest one of her career thus far, that is being the sole dancer for Kanye West upcoming performance at the BET awards that's happening soon. Aside from that, I know she'll be transitioning to online sessions and classes in the states pretty soon. In other words she has a busy schedule up ahead. Meanwhile, I just wrapped up my scenes for the movie I was shooting. I've been trying develop ideas to really create a brand name for myself. I want people to attach my name to anything that involves getting to a bag. When they hear my name I want them to think of; the hustler, the go-getter, the entrepreneur, money maker, anything that means business rather than 'Denise Fenty's daughter'. I want to build a brand for myself from the ground up. I want no negativity attached to my name. Don't get it twisted I'll still pop off on a bitch if need be but I'm trying my best to avoid drama so if somebody crazy enough to smack me, imma walk away right after I smack em tf back. Yeah I'm on that typa time. You know what they say, slow progress is still progress or something like that.

I'm looking forward to new acting gigs in the future, starting a business of my own and maybe a little modeling. There's so much I want to do in this lifetime it's crazy but I just don't want to be stuck doing the same thing my entire life. No offense to the people in the same 9-5 job for over thirty years. That kind of life simply isn't for me. I'm all for making money, but there are different channels to do so. It's funny because I sometimes look at David for inspiration. Dave doesn't have the most honest or legal way of living but he still finds way to make more money other than from the streets. For instance all the investments he's been making since he got out and the businesses he has opened with the money he made. Dave makes alot of money. I don't know that because he told me but simply because I watch the moves he makes. A man who owns two clubs and a restaurant?Plus practically running the streets, yeah I gotta be mad dumb to not know he making some heavy cash. That's exactly how I wanna be minus the dirty money of course.

Not too long ago we were upset with each other—well more so I was upset. Dave kind of admitted that he was responsible for my Dthang's death. He didn't flat out say it but I put the pieces of the puzzle together. I was mad and hurt no cap. The man that I love was the reason someone I cared about lost his life. That's the fuck'd up thing about growing up in the hood. These things tend to happen especially when you got friends on both sides of a rivalry. You're practically setting yourself up for pain and grief because once there's a war nobody is safe. Folks don't care that you're cool with them if they beefing with your brother. Shit it's either your brother go out or y'all both go out. It's as simple as that. I may not be in the streets but granny raised us yo be street smart and with all the friends I had who joined gangs over the years not forgetting my own brother, I've definitely learnt alot from em sometimes by simply observing. I've lost quite a bit of people in my life because of the street life too. Some deaths hit home harder than others but that's just the way of the life. Dave never gave any details on what happened or why it happened just that they were at odds. Dthang hit first and he had to hit back was all he told me. As much as I wanted to ask questions I was too mad and too hurt to do so and honestly knowing Dave doesn't want me getting involved in his business any type of way I doubt he would've said shit to me. I understand the life though so I can't be too mad. I know how shit goes. I kept my distance from him for a few days but once I cleared my head and started thinking logically again I knew I couldn't be mad at him for too long. Had the tables been turned, Dthang could've gotten to East first. Also, Dave owed me no explanation yet he admitted the truth to me regardless. I got to respect him for that honestly. Now, a regular person with a properly operating brain would probably be done with the relationship from this point on cause baby you killed my friend and chances are you bout to be in a war with his gang but I'm a Harlem shawty and I'm as solid as they come. I love Dave, I meant it when I said it so it's going to take more than that for me to leave him. I just hope I ain't out here being dumb. 
*
*
Dave POV