𝗦 𝗘 𝗩 𝗘 𝗡 𝗧 𝗬

❝ 𝘀𝗵𝗲 𝘄𝗮𝘀𝗻'𝘁 𝘀𝗮𝗱 𝗮𝗻𝘆𝗺𝗼𝗿𝗲,
𝘀𝗵𝗲 𝘄𝗮𝘀 𝗻𝘂𝗺𝗯,
𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗻𝘂𝗺𝗯, 𝘀𝗵𝗲 𝗸𝗻𝗲𝘄,
𝘄𝗮𝘀 𝘀𝗼𝗺𝗲𝗵𝗼𝘄 𝘄𝗼𝗿𝘀𝗲
- 𝗔𝘁𝘁𝗶𝗰𝘂𝘀

𝗔𝘃𝗮'𝘀 𝗣𝗢𝗩

One of the doctors take Octavia from us and walks her away, leaving Kane and I at the door. I watch the girl being escorted away, my eyes not leaving her frame until she is out of sight.

"You know, you're the spitting image of your mother when she was your age" Kane speaks and I turn to him with a raised brow.

"How did you know my mother?" I ask curiously.

"Our parents were friends so I grew up with your mother. We were best friends" He tells me.

"I can't remember ever seeing you with my mother" I reply.

"We had a spat when we were young. Our friendship faded after that" He explains.

"What about?" I ask and he looks hesitant but smiles weakly.

"I was in love with her. She loved me too, but she loved your father more" He reveals and I look up at the man in awe.

wow, it must run in my genes to have your childhood best friend fall in love with you

"Do you still love her?" I ask, my voice quiet.

"I don't think i'll ever stop loving her" He admits.

"But you floated her" I state, my eyes welling up.

"Believe me, that was the hardest day of my life. You have no idea how hard I fought for Jaha to pardon her" Kane explains, his eyes teary like mine.

"Even after her choosing my father over you? Weren't you mad?" I ask in confusion.

"Mad? No. More sad than anything. But in the end, when I seen her with your father and the smile on her face as she held her baby girl in her arms, i'm glad she didn't choose me" He says, making me cry "I never could have made her that happy"

"I miss her" I admit and Kane smiles softly, nodding.

"So do I" He replies, pulling me into a hug.

I hesitate before wrapping my arms around the sad man and burying my face in his chest. Being in his arms reminds me of my father or Sinclair's hugs which makes me smile. We separate and walk through the hallway.

"Y'know, I think she told me about you" I say, breaking the comfortable silence.

"She did?" He asks, hope sparking in his eyes which makes me smile.

flashback
nine years ago

"Finn and Ava sitting in a tree!" Murphy sings and I glare at him angrily.

"Stop it! He's not my boyfriend!" I shriek and Finn looks at me with a weird look.

"Tell him, Finn!" I beg and he nods.