Chapter 64

~Kota's POV~

     Vic said this was the pawn shop.  It looks old enough to be.   We walk through the door and no one is behind the counter. North and Silas begin walking down the aisles.  Nathan and I head to the counter.

"What's the odds of it still being here?" Nathan asked while checking out the rings in the case in front of us.

"About 8%."

He chuckles. I look at him and raise one brow.

"You just have it down to an exact percentage. It's funny."

  I sniff and turn away from him.  I can see his face fall in the reflective glass behind the counter and I have a hard turn stifling my laugh. 

"Hi. How can I help you today?"  I turn to the voice and stop. Not a lot of women can compare to 10 but this girl is pretty.  Her short brown hair is cut in a pixie cut. She has big purple eyes.... Gotta be contacts. And full bow shaped lips.

"Hi. I'm Nathan. We are looking for the mate to a wedding set.  My friends grandfather sold it to this pawn shop. He has the original pawn slip. We would like to know if you can tell us if it was sold and who too?"

"I can try. Let me see the pawn slip."

I quickly hand it over.

"Wow. This is old. I'm not sure we have the sales slips on something this old still.  Give me a minute and I will look through the box. "

    We nod and she turns to the back. North and Silas join us. 

"Well what did she say?"

"She is checking the back for a sales slip."

We spend the next 30 minutes wandering around before she finally comes back.

"I have found the sales slip. It was sold a long time ago.  Because of the law I can't give you the information about the person it was sold too."

"Can you contact them and ask if they would be willing to meet with me?" I ask.

  She thinks about it for a moment and then responds.

"Why? Don't get me wrong you seem nice and all but why would you want to contact them about something sold before you were even born?"

I reach in my pocket and pull out the box.  Opening it I set it on the counter. When she opens it her face scrunches up.

"This the mate?"

"Yes and I would like to buy back the other half?" She returns the ring and I snap the box shut and shove it into my pocket.

"Why?"

"Because when I marry my girl I want that ring on her finger. It's important to me. This ringnhas been in my family for generations.  And my girl deserves to wear it."

   She nods and reaches for the phone.  Walking a little away from us so we can hardly hear her.  I see her writing something down.

"Yes Ma'am. I will tell him." She winks at me. "Yes Ma'am. . . Thank you. Bye. "

She looks at the four of us for a moment before speaking.

"Mrs. Barrett says she will meet with you.  This is her address.  She said be there at 2. "

She hands me a piece of paper with a phone number and address. We give our thanks and rush out the door.

"I have a job this afternoon with Silas. It's a security job." Nathan says.