11: She. Is. A. Devil

16 February: DADA Classroom

On February sixteenth in the Defense Against the Dark Arts class, the fifth years were all surprised to see the desks that usually sat in neat rows had been shoved against the walls to form a large space in the middle of the room. The windows were not draped like usual, midday sunlight shing through the tall glass.

Josette, Alice, Marlene, and Lily exchanged a confused glance as they went to set their bags down in a corner.

"What do you think's going on with the furniture change?" Marlene asked, gesturing to the empty wooden floor.

Lily's eyes landed on an antique, battered silver and mahogany wardrobe where Professor Alderton's desk normally sat. It rattled ominously, making the floor vibrate slightly.

"Is that?" Josette started as she walked towards the tarnished mirror slowly with furrowed eyebrows. "Is that a boggart in there?"

"Ah, yes!" came Professor Alderton's loud voice from behind the furniture. Their newest professor was tall and sturdy like an oak tree, yet an incredibly kind wizard behind his physically imposing demeanour. No professor had kept the Defence Against the Dark Arts position for longer than a year at the time that Josette had attended Hogwarts. Every year they would get a new Professor for this subject.

"Now, now, stop your chattering and stand in front of me!" He instructed. Josette slid in between Peter and James quickly, getting away from the front of the room. James looked down at her, smiling slightly before turning to the back of the room.

"As Miss Hart guessed correctly, there is indeed a boggart inside here." he said, giving the wood a hearty slap. "Five points to Slytherin." The professor smiled slightly "You know the visualization and incantation from your third year, so nothing about this should be particularly difficult unless you had an insufficient professor before."

Luckily, they hadn't. "Now. I know you have done it before but this is a revision lecture for the OWLs. If you want to pass with good grades, do it correctly."

"Line up, now," instructed Alderton, waving his hands in a clapping motion. There was a rush of chaos as some students dove to be first, while others shoved their ways to the back of the loose line. Somehow, Sirius ended up being at the front.

He ran a hand nervously through his hair. Alderton pointed his wand at the armoury, and the splotched mirrored door flew open with a squeak of rusted silver hinges. Sirius's boggart was Sirius, but with small changes. His hair was back in a low ponytail at the nape of his neck, secured by a black ribbon. Wearing costly Wizarding cloths. A perfect pureblood son according to his parents. It was exactly who his parents wanted him to be.

"Riddikulus!" shouted Sirius, and in a flash the Perfect Sirius turned into a happy black dog with its tail wagging and tongue out.

The class continued with concern from many students as they saw their friend's previous small fears like spiders transform into their dead parents or letters that made tears well up in their eyes. It was far from cheerful, but they were all there to support one another.