Leaving for mission 2

Hearing what Shikaku said Kakashi and Guy both raised their eyebrows. No one noticed but Yami had a small smile on his face because he knew that in this mission he will get to meet Gaara and his siblings. Hiruzen and Shikaku gave a few more instructions to Guy and Kakashi.

"Both of you make sure that whoever the missing shinobi of Land of Lightning is, he must be dealt with." Hiruzen said and then looked at Yami.

"Yami, Kakashi here tells me that you have lightning affinity as well. If you manage to make a sizeable contribution in killing the missing shinobi then you can have any lightning-related scrolls that he possesses. How does that sound?"

'Crap...I planned to do it the moment I heard about him but now I have to act like an innocent kid wanting candy?' Yami thought and he squeezed out an innocent smile on his face and said

"Then I will take that as my personal mission given by you Hokage-sama"

Hiruzen smiled and nodded and then said "The three of you go get ready as this is mission might take a week or two. Yami on the way inform your brother as well so he isn't worried. Till then I will talk to your sensei and Kakashi. But remember all of you this is a B-ranked mission and don't tell anyone about this unless you are back from it. I hope you three know how sensitive this mission is."

Yami and his teammates nodded and left the Hokage building. Lee and Neji dispersed in the direction of their own home while Yami rushed toward the academy. As he reached the academy he saw that it was lunchtime and all the students were out of class.

'Sasuke won't be here in the open as he doesn't like to be bothered. I'll check the roof first. I wish I had some way to sense others individually. Yami entered the academy and headed straight for the roof. On the way, many students saw him and started whispering.

"Hey isn't that Sasuke's brother?..."

"Yeah, he is Yami. See the headband he has graduated already."

"He was the topper in his class. What do you expect?"

"We thought Sasuke is strong but his kid brother is even stronger."

Yami and Sasuke both were used to such comments while Yami was in the academy. Few students even tried to belittle Sasuke saying that he isn't strong as his younger brother trying to strike a nerve and even make him jealous. But Sasuke would always beat them up and tell them that he knows. Whenever Yami would see or hear this he would always think how much Sasuke is different from the anime just because this time he has someone he cares about alive.

As Yami reached the roof he saw Sasuke sitting with his classmates. Even before entering the roof, Yami could hear the loudmouth Naruto's voice

"Ahhh, these theory exams are so hard. Why do I need to pass them to become the Hokage?"

Yami entered the roof and called out to his brother. Sasuke and his classmates looked back expecting that there was someone from another class here to challenge Sasuke. This was a common thing for them and Sasuke even entertained such challenges as he would give him chance to try new things on these kids.

"Huh...Yami what are you doing here in the academy? Is your next mission here?" Sasuke asked.

Other classmates of Sasuke also greeted Yami and Yami greeted them back. Ino was blushing a little but she was also pouting. It had been almost a year since she had seen Yami and Yami was still cold to her like always. But she still greeted him and just getting a nod and a small smile from him was enough to erase all complaints she had in her heart.

Seeing that Yami didn't answer his question right away Sasuke understood that it wasn't something that Yami wanted to say out loud so he left his group and stood near Yami.

"I am going on a mission. The mission will last for a week or two." Hearing this Sasuke frowned

"Up to 2 weeks? Aren't newly made genin supposed to do just D-rank missions for a few months?"

"Yes but this time it is at the borders of the Land of fire. The mission isn't troublesome but traveling will take a lot of time."

Hearing the assuring words of Yami gave Sasuke relief so he just patted Yami's shoulder and said "take care brother"

Yami left the academy to go to his house and pack his things. There was something he was expecting and if he knew Kakashi right then that's what Kakashi must be talking right now.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hokage Office.

"Hokage-sama as long as Yami is on a mission and Sasuke is alone at the Uchiha compound one thing worries me." Kakashi said. Shikaku who knew what he was talking about nodded in understanding but Guy was full of confusion as he had no idea what they were talking about.

"I know Kakashi which is why I am going to assign an Anbu squad to ensure the safety of the Uchiha compound. I will also talk to Sasuke about setting up barriers. But we will need to do it quietly." Hiruzen said. He didn't hesitate to openly oppose Danzo in front of Kakashi as when Danzo had plotted to kill Hiruzen then it was Kakashi who had given Hiruzen the heads up.

"You will go to the hidden sand village and then formulate a plan among yourselves as you see fit. Both the Damiyos' eyes will be on this mission and the performance of the genins may also get the village many benefits which in turn will benefit Team Guy immensely in the future." Hiruzen said to which both the Kakashi and Guy nodded and left the office as well.

"Shikaku assign Yugao and Tenzo's Anbu team to guard the Uchiha compound until the barriers are set. I will talk to Sasuke about his today itself. Anything happening to him may impact Yami's growth and that will impact the future of the hidden leaf" Hiruzen said without looking at Shikaku.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

10 extra chapters on Patreon

https://patreon.com/lazarus898/

Link in synopsis as well