Chapter 12

Previously on Chapter 11

I pull away from the hug and smiles at her. She give me a close eyes smile. I turn around and walk up to Senku who's waiting for me. Then we walk separate ways, with our own mission to complete.

-Kohaku: The Blonde Fighter-

Y/N P.O.V

Taiju suddenly yelled out our name. We turn around to see him realizing his mistake. He eventually just raised his fist. I turn to look at Senku, who unties the science flag around his neck and tie it to the wood. He lift it in the air, like a proud person. I smile softly at the sight.

"We're going to defeat fantasy with science... 10 billion percent..." Senku said, turning to look at me. I just smile at what he said. He smiles and gestures we should get going. I nod my head and follows him.

***

A large tree suddenly collapse. Senku and I comes to a halt at the sight. He's the first one to snap out of his shock and runs down the hill. I quickly runs along.

Eventually we come to a clearing. There's a blonde girl laying on the ground with a tree right on top of her abdomen. My eyes widened at the sight.

She stares at the two of us. "You're... the sorcerer gentleman who protected that girl. And you're the one who acted like a fighter... you're alive!" she said, staring at Senku in surprise.

"Stop talking! You can introduce yourself all you want later. Don't waste your energy" Senku said, as he starts to inspect the tree. Senku turns his head to look at me. "This tree is too big. Two people won't be enough. Can you hold out until evening?" He said, the last sentence directed to the girl. She just stares at him.

"If you're at your limit, I'll take a gamble and blow it up with the little gunpowder I have left. But if you can hold on, it'll take forever. But I'll save you. 10 billion percent" Senku said. But the girl just keep staring. She looks like she's seeing a ghost. I open my mouth to speak, but nothing comes out. I just close my mouth again. I can't speak, what happened earlier really shaken me.

"You're the only one who can make the decision! Decide right now! Which is it??" Senku said, raising his voice. The girl blinks as if she's taken aback by his outburst. But she gets over it soon.

"Yeah, my organs and bones are all fine. I can hold on!" She said. Senku stares at her and smiles. He turns to look at me and gestures me to follow him. I nod my head and follows him.

He start to tell me what to do. I just follow along without a word. He must have noticed that I hadn't said anything after what happened. I can see it in his eyes.

Senku P.O.V

Y/N hasn't uttered a single word after I woke up. A clear sign that she's traumatized by what happened. What if she never speaks again? What if I'll never hear her voice again?

I climb up a tree with the rope I've made. "What is this?" The girl said. "This is science. It was invented by Old Man Archimedes a few hundred years BC. It converts the measly strength of a highschool kid into Herculean might. It's called a pulley!" I said. I jumps off the tree, holding onto the rope. The tree eventually lifted off the ground.

Y/N rushes over to help me and pulls the rope, tying it around the tree. "Amazing..." the girl said. I turn my head to look at her. She smiles softly.

"No, I'm not talking about that Archi-whoever's wisdom. I'm talking about your unwavering diligence in forcing yourself through every steps. Until you solve a problem" she said. I just stare at her.

"My name is Kohaku... it seems I've taken quite a liking to you" she said. I cringe at what she said. "We've just met... and she's already falling in love?" I said.

"Not that way!! I'm just saying I like you as a human! That means I'm willing to cooperate with you!" She said, pointing her finger at me. "Ah... okay. I'll take that then..." I said. I glance to the side to look at Y/N. Besides... she's the only one that I'll ever love.

Time-skip

Y/N P.O.V

It's now night time. I slip inside the sleeping bag, laying down next to Senku. I have my back facing him, not wanting him to see the sadden look in my eyes. I don't want to worry him.

I turn my head slightly and notice the girl sleeping in the tree with knifes in the hands. I reach over and pat Senku. He opens his eyes and looks at me.

"What is it, Y/N?" He said. I point at Kohaku. He turns his head and squint his eyes. "What are you? A new type of human?" He said. The girl opens her eyes.

"Because you start talking about romance. I still don't trust you. This is how I've been sleeping as an act of defense. Don't take it too personal..." she said. Senku sighs and turns his body away.

"I'm not interested in dying twice on the same day. Get some sleep... there's no way I can beat a lioness like you..." he said. "Lioness?? I have feelings too!" She said. I just stare at her. She notices my stare and turn to look at me.

"She hasn't uttered a single word. Is she mute?" He said. Senku turn to look at me. I look away from him. I can hear Senku letting out a sigh. "She's not... we just experience something traumatizing. She's just shaken up. Give her time. Now... get some sleep!" he said. I just lay back down and bury my body inside the sleeping back, not wanting Senku to see my face.

'She thinks I'm mute' I thought to myself. I just close my eyes. I'm not mute... I just don't trust her. Maybe later I'd be able to talk to her or anyone. I don't even know why I didn't say anything to Senku when he tried to talk to me. I close my eyes. A flash of image of Senku's lifeless body comes into my mind.

I bit my lips as I try my best to not make a sound. Tears starts to stream down my cheeks. First that, now I can't even say anything after Senku wakes up. No, I'm fine. I'm just shaken up... I'm sure that I'll be able to speak again after I calm down.

Sleepiness starts to come to me. I let my body relax, listening to the sound of the bonfire. It sounded so soothing. I let myself to slowly drift off to sleep.

*to be continued*