Chapter 18

Previously on Chapter 17

"You hold it the wrong way..." I said. Senku walks to her and turns one of the magnet the other way. It instantly pulled together. The others let out a gasp, while I just smile. Strong magnet: acquired.

-First Light-

Y/N P.O.V

After we acquired magnet, we start working on the next steps in making the manpower generator. I'm happy that Senku is spirited in making the machine. But I'm worried about his condition. His whole face is bloated and he have water in his eyes.

"Senku, are you sure you're okay?" I said. Gen stand besides me. "Yeah... I was wondering when I should bring this up" he said. Senku finally looks up at us. "Huh?" He said. He sounded weird too.

"Why have you turned into Anpanman?" Gen said. "Lacquer rash..." he said. I wince at the sound of his voice. His throat must have felt itchy too. I let out a sigh and turn around.

"Where are you going, Y/N?" Gen said. "Somewhere. Don't follow me" I said. I walk towards the forest and start looking around. I need to find something that will help Senku with his allergy.

"Rosemary?" I said, looking at the familiar plant. I remember the book I used to read. I remember in that book mentioned that rosemary have various of useful benefit. Which includes, allergy reliever. I grin happily and grab a few. I place it in my pouch and head back.

I start to boil the rosemary leaf after washing it. I stir the wooden spoon around, making sure to get all the essence. It's going to be a rosemary tea for Senku, so his bloated face can turn back to normal.

A While Later

I pour the tea into the cup and make my way to where Senku is. His face still bloated, just like Gen said. He looks like Anpanman.

"Here, Senku" I said, offering the mug to him. He turns to look at me. "Huh? What's this?" He said. "Rosemary tea... it's good for allergies. I'm really worried about your condition" I said, staring at him with a worried gaze. He takes the cup from me and start to drink it.

"Thanks, Y/N... the itchiness on my throat is gone" he said. I nod my head and smiles at him. "I made some paste too... put it on your face" I said. He take some on his finger and spread it across the swollen parts of his face.

***

The dual hand-cranked dynamo is now done. Senku looks a lot better. Which makes me feel glad about. An allergy can be fatal if it goes untreated. Which makes me thankful that my father provides me with various of knowledge regarding herbal plants.

"Now... how are we going to get this thing work?" I said. "The handle must spin in sync or it might break" Chrome said. Kohaku suggested the brothers, Kinro and Ginro.

Kinro didn't look too happy at the sight of us. He must have still feel upset because we destroy his golden-tipped spear. Gen walks forward and grins.

"Man... electricity is so amazing. In technological advancement our world of sorcery, all sorts of contraptions works on electricity. With electricity, we might even be able to make and repair gold and silver spears. Right, Senku-Chan? Y/N-Chan?" He said. Senku walks up to him.

"Electrocoating isn't that easy. Do you even know the recipe?" Senku said. He moves to Gen's side and give him a straight face. "I don't know a single thing~" Gen said, letting out a laugh. "Your words are as flimsy as a feather..." Kohaku said. I nod my head in agreement. "Yeah... no kidding..." I said, shaking my head.

I turn my head to see the brothers looks interested. They actually agrees to help spin the dual hand-cranked dynamo. I just watch in amusement as the two of them spins it around.

Senku makes a bamboo filament. We are now on top of Chrome's hut with him. The bamboo filament is placed on top of a leaf.

"Say, Chrome... do you fear the night?" Senku said. "Yeah... it is dark, after all" he said. I smile softly, the feeling of nostalgia wash over me as I recall the time we had. "Back in our day... there are no darkness. With science, humanity beat the night" I said. Senku connect the cable he created. A shine appears from the bamboo filament, illuminating the night with a bright light.

***

I'm sitting next to Senku, inside Chrome's hut. We are currently discussing what to do with Gen. Along with telling them who Tsukasa is.

"So you see, Suika? This man called Tsukasa is the one behind Senku's murder" Kohaku said. Senku let out a chuckle. "Though I'm not dead..." he said. I bit my lips as I close my eyes. The flash of Senku's lifeless gaze comes into my mind.

"He's really bad news! He wants to stop scientific progress, and he didn't think twice about killing Senku to do it" Chrome said. "I told you, I'm not dead" Senku said. Suika stands up from her seat.

"So that Tsukasa person is a bad man, and Gen is with him?? Then Gen's a bad person! But Gen saved us from Magma... he's a good person" she said, while looking at Senku. Although she have a point, I still feel skeptical about Gen.

Senku let out a chuckle at what Suika just said. "He's neither a good person nor a bad person" he said. "He's just a thoroughly shallow bat of a man" Kohaku said.

"It doesn't matter whether Asagiri Gen is a good guy or a bad guy. We need him to be on the side of the kingdom of science" Senku said. I turn to look at him. "Is that actually possible though? Can we truly trust him?" I asked. He turns to look at me. "We have no choice... we should at least give him a chance, while still keeping a close eye on him..." he said.

"But what are we going to do about Tsukasa? The moment he told Tsukasa that you're alive. He's going to come hunting for you..." I said. And me too... he'd want me dead too after that attack.

"We'll have him make a bogus report to Tsukasa, saying "Senku is definitely dead." That's the only way we can win..." he said. Chrome stands up and walks to the window.

"Hear that, Gen?? You saw it, didn't you? The electricity. The insane light of science! Who cares about who wins? Who gives a damn whether Tsukasa or Senku has the edge? The Kingdom of Science is just way more fun!" Chrome said.

"Gosh, you're so passionate, young man. But too bad. I don't have what you do, Chrome-Chan. I'm the most superficial man on earth. All I care about is whether or not something will benefit me" he said. He then around and walks away. I hear growling sound. I turn my head to see Kohaku holding a knife with a murderous look on her face.

Senku have his hand raise, to let Kohaku know that she shouldn't attack Gen. I clench my hands into tight fists. Gen can't be trusted. Unless, or until he proves to be a trustworthy alliance of us. I won't let my guard down. I won't let the same thing happen twice. I won't let Senku get hurt again.

*to be continued*