Chapter 41

Previously on Chapter 40

"I'm not surprised for lazy Ginro... but even super diligent Kinro is excited" Kokuyo said. "Turning that thing must be hard" Suika said. I smile and gently pat her head. "It definitely is..." I said. She turns to me and smiles. Just like Senku said. The age of man-power is over. We're in the age of energy.

-Shines Like The Stars-

Y/N P.O.V

Chrome and Granpa Kaseki is laying on the ground, looking like they're dying from exhaustion. "This isn't the time to be taking a break, you two" Senku said, as he tries to cut the wood with a saw.

"This is way too spartan!" Chrome complains. I let out a sigh and turn to look at Senku. "Can't they just take a break for a little..." I said. Suika is sitting next to Granpa Kaseki.

"Granpa Kaseki's going to die!" She wailed. I shake my head. "He'll be fine... just exhausted. Let them rest for a bit, Senku..." I said. He let out a sigh and focus on cutting the wood.

I kneel down in front of Senku, as I watch him saw the wood. "There's one more vitally important use for the waterwheel. It's time for some fun gear-making. It'll work magic on the waterwheel motion" he said, turning to look at Chrome and Grandpa Kaseki.

"Focus on where you're cut-" I tried to say, but stop mid-sentence when the wood breaks in half. "... ting" I finished. I let out a sigh as Senku cried out. "Damn it. It broke again. Back to copying the designs again" he said. I gently pat his back. I turn my head when I feel someone hovering behind us, to see Chrome and Granpa Kaseki. They suddenly get hyped up after they see the blueprint.

"They were so worn out when they saw the diagram, and now they're being all tough" Suika said. I kneel down at the ground as they start working. Suika walks over to me. "Can I?" She said. I turn to look at her in confusion.

She shyly points at my lap. I smile and nod my head. She grins and sits down on my lap. I wrap my arms around her small frame. She let out a yawn as she leans into my embrace and starts to fall asleep. I let out a quiet giggle and let her sleep on my lap. Suika is just so cute!

***

"What's the spartan club making this time?" Gen said, walking towards the group of three. I just sit not too far from them. I can't move much because Suika is still sleeping on my lap.

"Light bulbs" Senku said, without bothering to look at him. I turn to look at Gen and giggle quietly at his reaction. But it's not the same as the usual reaction. I guess he's starting to get used to Senku's ideas.

"It gets up to 2,000 degrees once it's lit. That makes the metal connections melts apart. We're going to have to use glass as a tiny adhesive" Senku said. I watch carefully as Granpa Kaseki slowly try to connect the wire inside the light bulb.

"This is so intricate. It's tough even for me..." he said. The glass shatters out of no where. "Damn it! This is so hard!" Chrome said. "There's no such thing as first time success... even Senku struggles to get it right back then..." I said.

"What's the matter? Giving up already?" Senku said, in a teasing voice. "Not at all. Although my body gave up a long time ago" Granpa Kaseki said. I just smile softly. "Don't worry... you'd get it right" I said, in a soft voice.

"Why are you talking so quietly?" Senku asked. He turns to look at me. I point at Suika, who's sleeping on my lap. "Oh..." he said. A soft smile appear on his lips.

3 Months Later

"Wow. The last time we made a light, it burned out instantly. What do we do?" Chrome asked, turning to look at Senku. "What do you do to make things burn fast?" Senku said. Chrome starts to think about it.

"You give it a ton of air with a blowing machine? Like we did with the waterwheel, right?" Chrome said. Senku walks out holding a bunch of stuff in his arms. I get up to help him, but he moves it out of my reach. I pout at him, because he didn't let me do a thing.

"Then what do you do to keep things from burning?" Senku said, as he tries not to laugh at my reaction. I just huffed and follow him. I turn to look at Chrome as he thinks about an answer.

"You get rid of the air?" He said. Senku puts on a cloth on his face, covering his mouth. "We use a heavy weight of mercury to catch the air as it falls, creating a vacuum" he said, as he demonstrate it.

Senku connects the wires on either side of the vacuum, switching it on. The lightbulb starts to light up. My eyes lit up at the sight.

"No matter how hot it gets. If there's no air, it won't burn. That's how it can last a long time without burning out" Senku explains. "Amazing..." I said. He turns to look at me and pinched my cheek. I wince and rub the spot where he pinched.

"That hurts! What's that for?" I said. "For being too cute. You act like you've never seen light before" he said. "For the past 3,700+ years. So?" I said. He let out a laugh and ruffles my hair. "Good point..." he said. I just roll my eyes and stick my tongues out at him.

Night Time

It's now nighttime. Senku and I stand by a large tree. He have requested Kohaku to gather everyone here. "Senku, Y/N. I've brought everyone here" Kohaku said. I turn to look at her and smiles softly.

"Okay, hang on. It's almost time" Senku said. I can see something falling from the sky. I lift my hand and let one fall on my palm. "It's snowing..." I said. "Damn, it's snowing. Are we calling off the test?" Chrome said.

"No, I'd like to do it today..." Senku said, he runs other to the tree where there's a small switch by the bark. He turns to look at us. "We're all set. Alright, let's turn it on..." he said. He switch the switch on. The tree lit up beautifully.

"Woah!!" I said, in amazement

"Woah!!" I said, in amazement. Suika looks excited at the sight. "They're like twinkling stars!" She said, in awe.

"It took two months to get here... that took a while" Granpa Kaseki said. Senku shakes his head. "Nah. We're right on schedule, really" Senku said. My eyes widened when I realize what he actually meant.

"No way..." I said, turning to look at him. He turns to me and smiles. "Hang on, is today Christmas?" Gen said, as he realizes it too. Senku's eyes softens. "Oh, yeah, now that you mention it, what a coincidence" Senku said. "Suuuuurrreeee. You know exactly what day it is. Don't you, professor?" I said, poking his cheek teasingly. He let out a laugh and grab my hand, moving it away from his cheek. He moves his hand, snaking it around my waist and pulls me close to his chest.

"Maybe~" he said, smirking at me. "I knew it! You're such a-" I tried to say, but gets cut off as Senku place a soft kiss on my lips. I let out a giggle through his kiss and wrap my arms around his neck, kissing him back softly.

I can't believe how long it has been since the day I woke up from petrification... and now here we are, celebrating the first Christmas in the Stone Age. On top of that... I get to celebrate it with Senku. It's truly a blessing.

*to be continued*