Chapter 21

Previously on Chapter 20

Senku P.O.V

I watch as a small pout appear on Y/N's lips. She's really cute. My feelings for her just keeps growing. But I still don't know if she feels the same way. Man, I'm able to solve a lot of things. But why can't I solve this. Love is much more complicated than I thought it would be.

-Glasswork-

Y/N P.O.V

Chrome leads us towards the mountain where the quartz sand would be. Senku walks forward and start digging the ground. He turns to look at us, showing the sand in his hand.

"We want the clear ones... just like these..." he said. With his instruction, we start to split up to look for the quartz sand to make the glasses. I walk near the end of the hill and kneels down. I take my hammer and start digging the ground.

Once the materials are collected. We head back to Chrome's hut, where Kohaku grinds the sand to turn them into fine grains. Then we mix it into a bunch of other ingredients and melts it down on the stove Senku have created to melt irons.

***

Senku lays on the ground, breathing heavily while Suika fans him with a leaf. I kneel down next to him. "Damn... are you okay, Senku?" I said, looking at him with a worried face. "I'll be fine..." he said. He stands up and grabs the melted result. He pours it into the mold.

"We just need to throw in some lead... and we have a see through lens glass" Senku said, holding a piece of lenses in his hand after its cooled down. I just smile while the others looks so impressed.

"It's shiny and see through, like ice?" Suika said. I smile softly at her. "It does, isn't it" I said. She nods her head rapidly, making me let out a giggle. Senku take the lenses to the polishing machine.

"That's a weird looking tool" Suika said. "We'd die if we try to polish glass with hands..." Senku said. Well, that's true. Unlike ice, glasses are hard and can be very sharp.

Senku starts polishing the lenses. "Wait, Senku" I said. He stops what he's doing and turn to look at me. "Huh?" He said. I cross my arms across my chest.

"Shouldn't you wear a mask? If the glass particle gets inside your lungs, wouldn't it be dangerous?" I said. I walk over to him, taking the fabric off my head and tie it around his face to act as a mask.

"Thanks, Y/N..." he said. I smile and nod my head. I take a few steps back as he signals Chrome to start spinning it again. Then he went back to polishing the glasses.

After a while, the lenses are done. Senku slips it into the mask and it's ready for Suika to try. But first, Senku wants to rest her eyes. So we walk towards a sunflower field.

Senku is holding her mask, while Suika is holding my hand as we slowly make our way to the field. Suika is looking around in wonder. I smile at her cuteness.

"Suika, can you see what's in front of you?" Senku asked. She squints her eyes at what's in front of her. "They're just sunflowers. It's not like I can't see at all, you know" she said. Senku slips the mask on her head.

She's silent for a few seconds. She take a step forward. I can't read her face, because of the mask she's wearing. She turns to look at us. I can see tears slowly streaming down her cheeks.

"Hey now... don't cry" I said, placing my hands on her shoulders. "I'm not crying. I'm just so happy..." she said. I smile and gently hug her. She wraps her arms around me.

We sit down on the ground on top of a blanket I've brought with me. "You're both surprisingly good-looking, Senku and Chrome..." Suika said. "What do you mean 'surprisingly'? And why only us?" Chrome said, sounding offended.

"I know Y/N is pretty because of the gentleness in her voice..." Suika said. I let out a giggle at what she said, and gently pat her watermelon mask. I turn to look at Senku who smiles mischievously.

"Next, we're finally making glass instruments. Now that Suika's labor lever potential has leveled up super high" he said. I squint my eyes at what he said. "Seriously, Senku... that's what you've been planning all along..." I said. He lets out a nervous laugh and rubs the back of his head.

Time-skip

Chrome and Senku starts working on making the glasses for the laboratory. But it's proven to be very difficult. The vial they're making are all weird.

"When I first start making clay pots. It took months before they look decent. Well, it was mostly Y/N's work..." Senku said. "Then we have her try!" Chrome said. Senku turns to look at him.

"Not a chance. She's a girl... she shouldn't handle this type of job..." Senku said, shaking his head at Chrome's suggestion. "But we don't have that much time!" Chrome said. "And I'm worried about Ruri-Nee's health" Kohaku said.

"I'm not a glass craftsmen... surely, there's someone in the village who's had experiences" Senku said. He completely ignored their protest about not letting me try working on the glass. Chrome instantly realizes something. He turns around and runs off inside the village, while the rest of us waited by the bridge.

Senku leans his back against the wooden pole, while I just sit on the ground. I hear protest sound. I turn my head to see Chrome bringing someone with him, who's tied up.

"Chrome... that's not the way to ask someone for help..." I said. "As if he's going to come willingly without this. Right, Kaseki?" He said, turning to the men. "I refuse to help an outsider!" He said. "See?" Chrome said, turning to look at me. I let out a sigh, having nothing else to say. Looks like I can't argue on that one.

Senku and Chrome decided to show old-man Kaseki what they've been trying to do. I can see Kaseki start to crack up a little. Eventually, he breaks and decide to try it.

I just stare in surprise. This man, even though in his old body... he's quite muscular. Aside from that, I'm pretty sure this stone world have no glasswork. But he seems like he knew what he is doing. Impressive.

In no time, Senku finally have a lab filled with all shapes of vials. He looks so happy, even if he didn't show it too much. He have a huge grin on his face. I smile, knowing we're stepping up. We're making a significant progress, which makes me so happy.

*to be continued*