Chapter 36

Previously on Chapter 35

"I'm fine. Don't worry about me! We have a village to save!" I said. We quickly try our best to put the fire out. All the things we've worked so hard to build, is gone just like that. I won't forgive you, Hyoga... Tsukasa. I'll make you pay for this!

-Don't You Understand?!-

Y/N P.O.V

Out of the corner of my eyes. I can see Suika on top of the hill, right in front of the enemies. They are quick to notice her. She turns around and turns into a watermelon. She starts hopping away.

"Suika!!" I screamed out. I quickly run to chase after her. If she get hold as hostage, we're going to lose. I have to save Suika before those people gets to her.

"Y/N, no!! Come back here!" I hear Senku yelling out for me. But I ignore him and speeds up. I swiftly jumps on top of a tree and start swinging from one branch to another. 

I swiftly make it passed the enemies. I land in front of them. I take out my katanas. "Don't even think about hurting her..." I said, glaring at them with a deadly gaze. They stop dead in their tracks.

"Suika! Y/N!! Get up into a tree!!" Senku's voice said. Kohaku grabs Suika and jumps onto a tree, holding onto the branch after she covers Suika's mouth with a gas mask.

I feel a something being place on my mouth and nose. I turn my head to see Senku. He gently put it on my face, just as the smoke slowly moves towards us. I can see fear in Senku's eyes as he make sure to cover my mouth and nose properly.

"It's okay... the poison gas won't harm us. I'm so glad you're okay. Thank God" Kohaku said, comfortingly to Suika. The enemies instantly froze at what she said. "Poison gas?? Did she just said, poison gas??" One of them said. They quickly climbs up the tree out of fear, where Hyoga and the pink girl stood on the branch.

"Mother Nature is neither a friend or foe. She's as impartial as they come..." Senku said, in a calm tone. But his eyes still reflects fear as he holds the mask on my face.

"Poison gas?! Did you make this happen, you twig?!" The other said. Senku let out a laugh. "You bet I did. That's what you get for pulling a dumbass move like a suicide attack on our kingdom of science, with its modern weaponry. Now, let's head back, Suika... Y/N. If you breathe nice and slow, you'll be fine..." he said.

***

"We can always rebuild the lost buildings, we've repelled the attackers without a single casualty! Ishigami Village has won this battle!" Kokuyo said. He turns to look at Suika and compliments her on her bravery. It was reckless as all get out, though" old man Kaseki said.

"Y/N... come on. You still have a burn wound to tend to. While the rest of you just work on rebuilding the broken buildings. Give Y/N and I some time alone..." Senku said, grabbing my hand. He starts to pull me along with him. I just follow along without a word.

Senku leads me to his lab and make me sit down on the table. He stands in front of me and starts to tend my wound. I just place my hand on my lap, keeping quiet.

Senku finally finished bandaging my with animal skin. The room is silent. It's so thick and awkward, that you can through it with a knife. Senku takes a few steps away from me, turning around so his back is facing me.

"Why'd you run off like that? I understand that you are trying to save Suika. But you're trying to fight those people alone. You would've been killed, and even if you won against them... the poison gas would've killed you, if I hadn't come in time" Senku said, after a while of silence.

"I'm not going to stand back and do nothing. You know that I have to save Suika... I'm not scared of those people and I'm not weak. I don't want to be a burden. I can-" I said.

"THAT'S NOT THE POINT, Y/N!!" Senku yelled out, cutting me off as he turns around to face me. I flinch when he suddenly raised his voice. "S-Senku..." I said, staring at him in shock. His whole body starts to shake.

"Don't you understand?! I DON'T want to lose you!! I can't! You're all I have left, Y/N! Without you... I'd be lost! I never called you weak, and I never doubted your strength! Not even one millimeter have I ever consider you as a burden! But that doesn't mean I'll stop worrying about you!!" He said. He stares at me with so much sadness in his eyes.

"If you keep acting like this... you'd ended up killing yourself. If that happens, what am I suppose to do then?! I'm a scientist, Y/N... I'm not a God! I can't bring the dead back to life. We don't have advance technology, Y/N... therefore, we don't have advance medical equipment. I can not save you if you die!! Can't you think about that for one damn minute?!" He said.

I watch as tears slowly streams down his cheeks. My eyes widened at the sight. It takes a lot to make someone like Senku cried. The first time I ever saw him cry was when Ruri told us about the message from his dad, by the cemetery.

Flashback

Ruri leads us up the hill. She said it's the cemetery for the ancestor of the village. She said there's a message she needs to deliver that can only be heard by Senku and the girl he loves. Which means Senku have to bring me along.

After a while of walking, we finally reach the place. Ruri starts to tell us the message from the hundred tales that is passed down to her as the village's chief.

"We're going to look around before we go back..." Senku said, after a while of silence. Ruri agrees and walks away, leaving the two of us alone. I just stay silent, standing next to Senku.

"I see, that was a thousand years ago, huh? That was when I was still alone in the darkness, counting hundreds to millions of seconds. That takes me back. Man... that really takes me back..." Senku said. His body starts to tremble. I watch as tears streams down his cheeks.

I turn him to face me and wraps my arms around his torso

I turn him to face me and wraps my arms around his torso. He quickly returns my embrace. He buries his face into the crook of my neck as he cry softly. That was the first time I've ever seen Senku shed tears.

End of Flashback

My eyes soften at the sight. I get off the table and walk towards him. I snake my arms around his waist, hugging him gently. Senku wraps his arms around me, embracing me in a tight hug. His whole body shaking as I feel my shirt getting wet.

"I'm so sorry... I'm sorry I didn't realize that you were scared for me, Senku..." I said. He just stays silent, tightening his arms around me. His body relaxes a little, but his hug is still tight. It's like he's afraid that I might disappear if he lets go.

"I love you, Y/N. I don't ever want to lose you..." he said. I nod my head, burying my face into the crook of his neck. "I love you too, Senku... I'm sorry that I didn't realize how much I mean to you..." I said.

He pulls away from the hug and cups my cheeks. "Y/N... you mean the world to me" he said. I just smile softly at him. He places a quick kiss on my lips, and pulls me into another hug. I just hug him, allowing him to seek comfort in me.

It took so much to make someone like Senku cries. If he cries because he's worried and scared for me... I must have meant so much to him. He didn't want to lose me, just as much as I didn't want to lose him.

I'm sorry, Senku...

*to be continued*