Chapter 51

Previously on Chapter 50

"There's something inside! It's some kind of silver chunk" she said. I walk forward and squad down to take a look. "It's wrapped up in aluminum foil. So, what now?" I said. I turn to look at Senku. He smiles and gestures us to head back to the village. We agree and head back. I wonder what's it in. Guess we'll about to find out.

-Voices Of The Dead-

Y/N P.O.V

"It's simple, Y/N. We just wash it with hydrochloric acid" Senku said, as he dipped the aluminum foil into the acid. It starts working and starts to melt. He use a tweezer and pull it out.

"It's actually glass!" Chrome said. I look over Senku's shoulder. "That looks like a saucer" I said. He turns to look at me and smiles. "Because it is..." he said. I hum softly and nod my head.

"It looks like they cut out the bottom of a bottle or something" Gen said. Senku grins and turns to look at him. "A saucer. Speaker. Speaking with needles. Does that remind you of anything?" He said. Gen's eyes widened as he snatch it from Senku's hand. "It's a record?!" He said.

"My dad's and the crews voice are on there. They bothered to leave us a voice recording. Let's hear what they had to say. I'll kill you if it isn't something exhilarating, you deadbeat dad" he said, lowering his head at the last sentence. I wrap my arms around his torso. He wrap his arm around me, placing a soft kiss on the side of my head.

"Chrome was right. Science is truly beautiful. It lets Senku-san's father to speak to him from heaven. Now, thousands of years later, traveling through time with science..." Ruri said, tearing up a little. I just smile at what she said.

"Hey, Senku. Does that mean that 'record' thing can trap sound?" Chrome said. Suika looks a confused. "B-B-But you can't even catch sound" she said. Senku turns to look at them and starts explaining how the thing works.

"The way a record works is ridiculously simple. You make a needle vibrate with sound, which dug grooves into the record. And then, if you run a needle over the grooves to vibrate it, it'll make the same sounds that dug them" he said.

"Digging groves in glass make it store sound? That's a surprise" Kaseki said. "Senku's dad is awesome!" Chrome said, in amazement. "Nah... Byakuya couldn't have done it. It must've been the people with him that made it. Astronauts are all science elite. All of them except Byakuya, who got in by luck. Although he might have been the one who came up with the idea. He's the only one who'd think of something so lame" Senku said. I gently hit him on his shoulder, which makes him flinch.

"You're as cold as ever when it comes to your dad, Senku..." I said. He let out a chuckle and wraps his arms around me. "But I won't ever be cold towards you~" he said. I roll my eyes and snuggles closer to his chest.

A While Later

To listen to the record. First we need to make the record player. Which didn't take long because we already have all the things we need, and a record player isn't has hard as making a cell phone.

"We can make a record player easily using all the things we've made so far. We'll use the gear from the cotton candy machine" Senku said. Kohaku grins at what he said.

"Destroying father's shield was well worth it. It's doing so much good" she said. Kokuyo grabs the shield and stares at it with teary eyed. "Your father's happy as long as it's useful to you" he said.

"This is how people becomes cogs in society as they get older... literally" Gen said. Senku turns to look at him with a straight face. "No one asked for your words of wisdom" he said. I nudge him gently. He turns to look at me and smiles awkwardly.

Ruri walks inside the lab, holding something in her hands. "I'm back. I use this when I'm knitting" she said. Senku walks towards her and picks it up. "It's perfect. A bone needle, the playback side of making a record is dead easy. Recording is another matter. You're cutting glass, so you need a hard rock" he said.

"Like diamond?" I said, in a questioning tone. He turned to look at me and nods his head with a smile on his face. "Yep. Or corundum... that works too" he said. Senku walks towards the record player and start to set it.

"All right. Let's spin it, Ginro" he said. Ginro starts to spin the gear. "Okay. I've gotten good at spinning this, from the cotton candy machine" he said. Senku slowly moves the arm of the record player to the glass. I wait silently as it starts to spin slowly.

I don't know who's listening to this, hundreds, maybe thousands of years from now... but I'm the astronaut Ishigami Byakuya... the voice of Senku's dad can be heard. Everyone gasps and starts to talk among themselves.

"Shut up! I can't hear" Senku said, while picking his ear. Everyone finally settled down after a while. We turn to look at the record player and wait for the next words.

Just kidding! That's it for the stuffy formalities. You revived from the petrification, and now you're listening to this recording. Senku... it's you, isn't it? I can tell. Hundreds, thousands, maybe even an unthinkable number of years later, I'm making my final call to you. Not that I can hear you... Senku, don't forget. I've always, always... his voice slowly starts to become sadder. I turn to look at Senku as he stays silent.

Nah, you don't need that dramatic father and son crap, do you? Let's get right to business he said. I let out a soft giggle, I cover my mouth as to not disturb the record. "You really do get it" Senku said, while chuckling to himself.

Senku... if you're still having a hard time winning over the hearts of the villagers, let them hear this. To those of whom the light of music have dimmed.

My eyes widened at the sound. "Lillian..." I breathe out. She's the reason I fell in love with music in the first place. She's the reason I accepted my flaws and choose to be a musician. She's my inspiration.

I feel my tears slowly streams down my cheeks at the sound of her voice. I never thought that I'd be able to hear her voice again. I thought everything is gone. I can't believe this... it's really her voice.

*to be continued*