Chapter 44

Previously on Chapter 43

"AHHHHH!!!!" I screamed in fear, instantly hugging Senku. I turn my head to see Gen. I let out a huff and glare at him. He just smiles at us. "It's the new year... we should all watch the sunrise together..." he said. I let out a sigh, placing my hand on my chest. I can feel my heart beating rapidly. Damn you, Gen.

-Hidden Treasure-

Y/N P.O.V

"What are you yelling for?" Someone said. I turn my head to see Chrome sitting up. I just give him a small smile. "Sorry, Chrome. Gen scared us" I said. He let out a laugh at what I said.

"Oh really? How?" He said. I grab a flashlight laying around. "Like this..." I said, mimicking Gen's action a while ago. "Oh Crap!!!" He screamed and jumps away to the nearest wall.

I blink at his reaction. I burst out laughing at his reaction and clutch my stomach because his face is so funny. Senku just chuckles at what I did.

"Alright, come on, Y/N. Chrome. Let's get going..." he said. "Where?" Chrome asked, after calming down. I turn to look at him to see him staring at us with a confused expression.

"Oh, Gen invites us that we should watch the sunrise together as it is new year in modern age" I said. He nods his head. The three of us make our way out of his hut.

"Mentalist are such a pain..." Senku said, once we reach the ground. "He's just trying to cheer you up, Senku..." I said. He turns to me and smiles. He grab my hand gently and we start to make our way up the hill where we'd be watching the sunrise.

"I'm coming too!" Suika said. I turn my head to see the little girl running towards us. Chrome turns to look at her and notice she's holding a rock. "Wait, Suika... were you going through rocks all night?" He said.

"You want to be helpful too, huh, Suika?" Kohaku said. Suika smiles and nods her head. "That's right" she said. I smile and gently pat her head with my free hand, as the other one is still being held by Senku.

"New Year's, huh? Our internal clocks are messed up from the petrification, though. I don't even know how old I am anymore..." Gen said. I turn to look at him and nod my head. "Me neither..." I said. Senku gently squeeze my hand.

"Think of how many days you've been alive" he said, while yawning softly. "Why would we remember that?" Kohaku said. "What about you?" Gen asked Senku.

"6,268 days..." he said. I stare at him in amazement. "I won't even bother counting how old I am anymore at this point... I'm not as smart as you are..." I said, sighing softly. Senku just let out a chuckle.

"We're almost there" Ruri said, who's walking ahead of us. I turn my head to see we've almost reached the top of a snowy hill. I eventually stop walking with Senku next to me. He removes his hand from mine, and snake his arm around my waist and pulls me close.

"The sun's rising..." Kokuyo said. The sun slowly rise from the horizon. I watch in amazement as I stare at the sun. I notice something else is glowing. I turn my head to see the rock Suika is holding starts to give off a soft blue glow.

I hear a soft gasp coming from Senku. I turn to look at him to see he have a surprise expression. "It's pretty..." Ruri said. Suika stares at the rock in her hand.

"Why... is it glowing?" She said. Senku walks up to her and points at the rock. "It's called scheelite. It glows blue when exposed to ultraviolet light. Reactions to ultraviolet light are especially visible right before the sun rises. In other words, only right now" Senku said.

"A magic stone that only glows just for this moment" Gen said. "I've never seen anything like it..." Chrome said. I nod my head in agreement.

"Me neither... it's an ultra-rare gem. You guys did an awesome job, Suika... Chrome. This stuff is used in modern filament. Atomic number 74... Tungsten! Heat's got nothing on it! It's the strongest metal in the universe!" Senku said. I grin happily and wrap my arms around his neck.

"I told you there will be a solution!" I said, happily. He wraps his arms around me. "Yes. Thank you, Y/N. For keeping my spirit burning..." he said. I pull away slightly and smiles at him. He smiles back and place a soft kiss on my forehead.

***

This time I insisted that I should come along. Senku is hesitant at first, but he finally agrees. Finally, I get to experience some adventure.

Chrome, Senku and I each have a battery headbands that will shine our way inside the tunnel. Chrome stares at the chunk of scheelite in his hand.

"This small chunk won't be enough, but it came down the stream in the cave. There must be tons further inside. Tons of this head resistant treasure called Tungsten!" Chrome said.

"We only have one set of materials left to make a light..." Senku said, turning to Chrome and I. "We have to choose carefully then. Who we're going to take with us as the fourth person" I said. He nods his head and turns to the others.

"The last member of the exploration will be..." Senku said, scanning through each faces. I just wait for him to pick his choice. "Magma!" He said. My eyes widen at what he said.

"Magma? Seriously!" I said. He turns to look at me. "Tungsten's tough as hell. We're going to need brute force to collect it..." he said. I let out a sigh and nod my head. He smiles and ruffles my hair.

"We don't have to worry, Y/N. Besides... we all know that you're a lot stronger than him..." he said. I just nod my head. "Guess so..." I said. He smiles and turn to the others. "Let's go cave diving. We're a foursome of spelunking buddies" he said. I smile softly at his excitement.

I turn to look at Magma. He make eye-contact with me. I just give him a glare. I swear... if he gives me just one reason to think he's going to hurt Senku. I will hunt him down and kill him myself.

*to be continued*