Chapter 72

Previously on Chapter 71

"What would you know, Ukyo?! Hyoga isn't the type of person who'd kill himself off just like that! But he jumps in... so he knows they'll survive! He's just trying to lure them away from us! I have to go after them!" I yelled at him. I turn around and jumps into the river. I can hear the others calling my name, as I enter the water.

-What Should I Do?-

Y/N P.O.V

I take a deep breath once I resurface. I swim towards the shore. I can see Senku not far from me. I stand up and runs towards him.

"Senku!" I said. He turns his head and notices me. His eyes widened once he notice my soaked figure. "Did you jump in too? Are you a mental, Y/N?" He said. I just kneel down next to him and wrap my arms around his neck.

"You're okay... thank goodness" I said. He wraps his free arm around me. I turn my head slightly and notice Tsukasa on laying. His blood is seeping out of his wound.

"I knew you'd come after us, Y/N-Chan... I need to have a word with you and Senku..." Hyoga said. I turn to look at him in disgust. "What a dirty man you are, Hyoga" I hissed angrily. Senku chuckles at what he said.

"What are you, a middle schooler meeting me behind the school building to confess to me? Sadly, I'm already married to someone. I don't have a single thing to talk to you about" he said.

"I'd expect so... but I'd like to hear what I have to say. Whether you get to act by persuasion or by torture doesn't make much of a difference. Unless, we can come into one agreement... Y/N-Chan" he said, turning his head to look at me.

"Tsukasa-kun and I were in agreement on our fundamental belief: that the petrification phenomenon that rained down on this planet thousands of years ago was to select certain human. To thin us out" he said. I clench my hands.

"What does that have to do with me?" I said, glaring at him. "Because you're among the people I need in order to thin humanity..." he said. I let out a laugh, but it's lacing with sarcasm.

"You want me to go back to who I was before. You want me to be an assassin again. Is that it? You want me to help you kill people?" I said. Even though he's wearing a mask. I can see it clearly in his eyes that that's exactly what he wanted.

"While Tsukasa-Kun's is aspiring to create a Shangri-la, where no one takes from one another. I don't have a shred of interest in such a thing. If we're left with nothing but brain dead youths, we'd still be taken from in order to keep them fed. What's needed is a selection. We must allow only the elite of this world to survive. The mediocre must all perish. That's the most logical answer, is it not? We, humanity, were given that chance by the petrifica-" Hyoga said, but he gets cut off.

"Yeah... that's so incredibly logical. It's logical... but it isn't exhilarating. If we can't sustain seven billion people, all seven billion of us will look for a way to sustain all seven billion people. That's the way science does things" Senku said. Hyoga uses his spear to cut through Senku's wristband. My eyes widened as I turn to look at Hyoga in anger.

"Hyoga... if you hurt Senku. I swear to God... I will kill you" I said, angrily. But Hyoga just stares at me in amusement. "Go on, Y/N-Chan... I'd like to see you try. Without letting yourself go into that state. You're nothing but a weak little girl" he said. I clench my hands again. He swings his spear again, this time cutting Senku's pinky... but not enough to slash it off.

"Stop it!" I yelled. "Your only option is to join me, Y/N-Chan... join me, and I'll spare his life. Don't you remember what caused your brother's death?" He said. My eyes widened as I recall what happened that day.

Flashback

"You only have one job! That is to take that man's life! Why didn't you do it?!" Hyoga yelled out. I stand in front of him, after I've failed a mission because I refused to kill.

"I... I d-don't want to k-kill anymore" I said. Tears gathering in my eyes. He stares at me in anger. "What's that? You don't want to kill anymore?" He said. He exhale a sharp breath. He lift his hand. I can hear grunting voice.

I turn my head to see my brother, all bloodied and bruised. "Finish him off..." he said. My eyes widened at what he said. "No!!" I yelled. I watched in horror as a sword is thrust through his chest.

"B/N!!!" I yelled. I rush towards his side and kneels down next to him. I try to put pressure on the stab wound. But no matter how hard I tried, the blood just won't stop seeping out. I watched in sadness and horror as the life slowly leave his eyes.

End of Flashback

I have my head down as tears streams down my cheeks. "How could I forget... you killed my brother. A-All because I r-refused to cooperate with you..." I said.

"And you want to watch the same thing to happen to him?" He said, pointing his spear at Senku. I turn to look at Senku. He stares at me in worry, as I stare at him with blank gaze. "Join me, Y/N... and I'll let him live..." he said.

"Y/N, no... don't listen to him. No matter what... he will find a reason to kill me! Agreeing to him only prolonged my life for a short amount of time. He can kill me anytime!" Senku said.

"I won't have to kill him as long as you cooperate with me, Y/N. Let us be strong again, just like old time" Hyoga said, lifting his hand in an inviting manner.

I fall on my hands and knees as tears streams down my cheeks. What should I do? If I don't do as Hyoga said. He'd kill Senku... like he killed my brother. But I don't want to be an assassin anymore. I won't want to kill anymore. But if I don't do as he said... Senku will die.

*to be continued*