Part 8

At the beginning of their acquaintance, the boy watched her closely. He had many opportunities to do so, since Mona, by virtue of being Han's sister, unwittingly participated in their conversations. It wasn't often, because they were both busy and he had, at first, not very flattering thoughts about her. She seemed a bit annoying to him and too, as he put it, childish and clingy.

Talking to her was a challenge for him. He made no secret of the fact that he felt sort of out of place around her. Verbal skirmishes only perpetuated his sense of awkwardness in conversations, and he sometimes cut them off quickly to avoid misunderstandings.

Han sometimes wasn't sure what his sister would think of this time. She was sometimes unpredictable. Explosive. Her laughter spread everywhere. Sometimes she would disappear, for hours on end. What was she doing then? No one knew that. And she didn't want to talk about it either.

However, after a few months, Luke noticed that she was diligently learning piloting. She had determination, but also a keen mind. His attention was drawn to several conversations in which Mona, as the youngest of them, showed empathy, understanding and a completely different perspective on the problem, which intrigued him. And when they met sometimes in front of the canteen, at his lunch time and just before Mona's breakfast, which surprised him a lot, the girl ate it very late.

Their conversations, short, hooked on unusual topics

Their conversations, short, hooked on unusual topics. He recalled one such conversation. It was before the patrol about a month earlier, he met her when she was heading towards the cantina.

- Hello... - he puzzled her right at the large window about a meter from the entrance.

- O....Already finished? - she smiled slightly squinting her eyes

- No... after lunch I just got a patrol. - he explained

- Well, this promises to be an interesting afternoon...- she replied as if reading his mind

- How do you know that interesting?"- he was amazed by what he heard from her

- And don't you like to fly on your red five?"- she asked him a question

- I like- he replied