Part 62

By the time they reached the village it was late afternoon. It didn't take too long to climb the stairs and find themselves in the center of it, either. The Ewoks had prepared a whole show. Residents crowded around to see what was going on. There was an uproar and it was clear that the climax was about to happen. The golden god would be honored. Mona, climbing a completely empty staircase, watched from a distance. She hid behind a huge tree branch, and from this perspective she could observe everything carefully. She was a little apprehensive when she realized what this was leading up to. She had mixed feelings, at the same time the situation seemed comical but the prospect of Han and Luke and the Wookiees not so much anymore. When Leia came out of the hut, the girl was relieved. This was followed by a brief exchange of words between Luke and the droid on the throne. Mona couldn't hear the entire conversation but she clearly felt what her beloved was getting at. And after a while, the droid, along with the primitive woven throne on which it sat, soared upward as if it had powers. This was to convince the reluctant Ewoks to free everyone. It worked. She watched for a while longer as they exchanged hugs, greeted each other and rejoiced in the happy ending. Again she felt the familiar sting in her heart. They were separated by a few dozen meters up the hill from her side. And it seemed , light years away. For months she had the feeling that she was no longer part of the group. And now she was eminently not one. Why did this happen? And when did it start? Still on Hoth, everything was ok. Now, she couldn't even define her status in the team. The thought paralyzed her and she decided to leave the village. To return to the squadron and even the shuttle. Why should she hide here forever no one expects her, no one even knows she is here. No one is looking for her with the same commitment as her friends. Why did she even bother going into this. Why did she risk so much. It's all pointless, she stepped carefully out from behind a tree and took a few steps to approach the stairs and start walking down to the now familiar clearing below the village, when she heard, full of amazement and surprise, the voice of her beloved.

- Mona!!!?

She froze. A shudder ran through her. At last the inevitable had come. But it surprised her all the same. She closed her eyes, breathed deeply. Slowly she moved her hands unfastening the strap from her helmet and pulled it off her head. Then she opened her eyes and turned around. If until now Han and Leia had any doubts about the identity of the person Luke called out to. It was now all clear. Everyone or at least two of them gasped. Because the situation was really awkward. Mona now knew that there was no turning back. So far she was not even able to say anything. All she could do was stand there with her head lowered. Han did not hide his terrible disappointment about his sister. He restrained himself not to vent his frustrations, but it was very difficult for him. For that Leia, despite her surprise, deep down she was very happy for Mona herself made the decision. That she decided to take such a bold step. Despite the fact that conflict with her brother is guaranteed. Luke did not think long, left Han with Leia and ran down to talk to Mona. Meanwhile, the princess saw what was happening to Han. She looked into his eyes grabbed his hand and said:

- Han... will you take a moment for me....

Mona wanted to hide, escape and preferably disappear or teleport to an Alliance ship

Mona wanted to hide, escape and preferably disappear or teleport to an Alliance ship. The latter seemed her best option, then maybe Han wouldn't be so angry with her. With that said, also unknown was her boyfriend's reaction. She panicked when she saw him approaching her quickly.

- Well no...-she thought, now there is no turning back - now it will start. And I was always weak in defense, arguments, contra. Damn it...- she whispered. - I'm done. Why did I need it...Holy shit...but I'm naive...Damn it! - she cursed under her breath

- Is everything ok...- she heard a soft voice

- ....aaa...no! - she denied annoyed - she feels like... well maybe I won't articulate what I mean....

- ... what's going on?

- Nothing...and actually everything... - she said in a resigned and exasperated voice - ... I don't know... too much, too fast and at the same time too little and too short.

He was surprised by this answer. Mona already knew how to describe her emotional states quite uncharacteristically. He did not claim to be able to understand this language but at least he tried not to ignore it. Although he had to admit that he had recently fallen down on this line and felt remorseful because of it.

- So...???-he tried to find out more or encourage her to explain to him what it meant....

- Hmmm...- she tried to find the right words - there is too much chaos around us and everything has taken a turn for the worse in the last few months. I'm lost in it, I can't find my way around and I have the feeling that no one counts my point of view. And I'm not yet an old piece of furniture to be cast aside. And there's another thing we don't have time with each other at all. I snatch moments that are so short that they are not even enough for me to reminisce. I don't know myself anymore what I miss more whether it's you or being with you,-  she cried.

He hugged her. There was no point in dragging out the conversation for now until her emotions calmed down. He knew she was right. She had said what was going on inside her already given up. It certainly wasn't easy for her, moreover, for him too. Mona cried, huddled and cried. It didn't matter if anyone saw them then or not. Now was the time for him to be with her. After all, it was not for nothing that she broke all the rules, took a risk . This was her sacrifice. She finally calmed down. She laid her head on his shoulder. And she whispered:

- Thank you.