Part 24

Mona tried again to contact Luke

Mona tried again to contact Luke. But after a dozen attempts, she gave up. She was refilling her coffee in the cantina when Leia came through the door. As soon as she saw her, she knew she was very concerned.

- Luke did not return. - said the princess - Han set out to find him.

- What! - she froze - after all, it's getting dark, the winds are blowing! The temperature is dropping! How will they cope?" her face betrayed consternation and fear.

The princess was as terrified as she was. The ice desert, at night, is the coldest place. There are no, convenient conditions to survive there. No caves, only a plain stretching for miles, covered with frozen snow.

- We must be patient. - She comforted gently, not only her but also herself.

*

Meanwhile, Luke has already managed to break free and kill the beasts

Meanwhile, Luke has already managed to break free and kill the beasts. The wampa let out a terrifying roar before collapsing on the ice in a small cave. With determination, the boy reached the surface and began his trek toward the base despite the strong wind. The huge heaps of snow through which he trudged offered strong resistance to his legs. 

The wind howled mercilessly and he lost more and more strength with each passing moment. In fact, he had less and less of them because fighting the beast, was a challenge for him. He fell on the snow and breathed heavily. However, he did not give up. The sky above him became dark , covered with dark blue clouds. The snow was falling and the wind was obliterating his tracks. He got up and felt the icy blast pierce him to the core.

 He managed to take a few steps, but unfortunately, the gale and the snow heap that was over a meter high was an insurmountable barrier

 He managed to take a few steps, but unfortunately, the gale and the snow heap that was over a meter high was an insurmountable barrier. He felt the snow on his face again. Lying down, he was already fighting just to stay awake. Although it was an uneven fight. The wind covered his body with snow. It mad
e him very cold. He could no longer feel his legs, and his toes, despite wearing warm gloves, were numb, in addition, paralyzing chills went through him from time to time. He tried with his last strength not to fall into lethargy.

 Although at times he felt like his eyes were turning to mist and his mind was struggling to be still conscious. He thought about Mona, he would so much like to see her again. An extraordinary girl, she had a special place in his heart now. Her eyes so gentle, and her voice so calm, gentle. He closed his eyes and tried to recall her face. In fact, she showed him that she loved him. He, although he felt the same, never told her. 

He thought she knew but regretted it anyway. What was holding him back? He didn't know until the end. Maybe it was the fear that the moment with her would end quickly, and that the battle might annihilate everything. Maybe he was afraid that if he told, the spell, the magic and everything they had built up so far between them would disappear. And he wouldn't want that. He had a feeling that he could see and hear her. but they were just hallucinations. He closed his eyes, and as another shudder went through him, he lost consciousness.

*

The barrel-shaped droid, with its antenna extended, tried to locate, any movement or heat. Sending out signals, again and again, invariably for several hours now, it expected a response. Unfortunately, to no avail. Inside the hangar, the Wookiee and Mona, along with Leia, waited for some news. 

Their thoughts were with the two, whose fate was now somewhere on a distant plain, streaked with icy winds. Mona was depressed, so she tried again and again to contact her brother via communicator. Also without any response. Her nervous exhortations, could be heard quite clearly. Leia stood by the Falcon. 

She may not have shown it from herself, but the calmness on the outside, which she tried with all her might to keep, was crumbling inside her. She didn't say anything to Mona, but she was as afraid as she was. She was aware of the difficult situation. She knew that every moment without contact, or response, was not optimistic. The wind had picked up, and the bulkheads were still open.

Officers on duty discussed among themselves what to do in this situation. The patrols that had left with Han had returned long ago. But there was no contact with Han and Luke. The sun had already set over the horizon and the darkness was slowly growing thicker. Finally, the officers approached the princess.

- Your Majesty, there is not much we can do today. We have to close the bulkheads. It's getting very cold and we need to protect the equipment and the temperature in the base," he pronounced with heavy regret

 It's getting very cold and we need to protect the equipment and the temperature in the base," he pronounced with heavy regret

Mona approached the callers. For a while longer, she listened to the conversation. Leia looked at her, she knew that the decision to close the bulkhead would be like a blow to Mona's heart. Nevertheless, she nodded her head in agreement. After a while, the bulkheads slowly began to close. Mona stood nervously.

- Leia how can you! This is their last hope! They will die there ! -  she shouted

After which the big two-meter long animal wailed for the same reason.

Mona flooded with tears. Leia approached her and they both embraced. The rumble of bulkheads closing rang through the hangar and then there was silence.