Part 44

Mona woke up late in the evening, confused and dizzy. Luke had disappeared somewhere. She checked the entire apartment and knew she was alone. She became anxious. The headache disappeared , which was a real relief after all. But for the four months that Luke had lived with her it had not happened that he had not returned. The girl sat on the bed and wondered what could have happened. 

She decided that she would check the cantina, maybe her beloved needed time to himself. She dressed in a purple jumpsuit that covered her and clung to her body. Like a second skin. And over this she put a delicate tunic, made of airy material. She looked much older in this styling. She took the elevator down to the bottom of the ship AND headed for the door. The lights were dimmed, but the cantina was still open. Sometimes it happened to be open 24 hours a day. And it was probably meant to be that way this time. She walked up and looked inside. 

She saw Luka sitting alone at their favorite table

She saw Luka sitting alone at their favorite table. She was glad that, she found him. She peered through a crack and quietly approached him from behind. She pondered for a moment more what to do, but an idea came to her mind. Plunged in thought, the boy did not even notice that someone had entered the cantina. Mona gently leaned over to him and placed a firm kiss on his lips. Luke reciprocated her gesture. This went on for a long moment. She lost track of time again. When she finally sat on his lap he looked at her, though his gaze was still absent.

- Why are you hiding in the cantina?" she asked her beloved , gently touching his face.

Luke remained silent. She stared at his gentle facial features. His eyes, however, betrayed some conflict. She brought her lips to his again and placed a gentle kiss, then repeated her earlier question:

- Luke, is something bothering you?

He remained silent, but watched with somewhat absent eyes. He was troubled by internal dilemmas, and had a guilty conscience that he could not really talk about his dilemmas.

Mona fell silent and tried to guess what was going on inside him. But all she could read from his face was an internal struggle. She leaned her head against his shoulder and hugged him. Luke closed his eyes and breathed heavily which again told her that he must be experiencing something very much. The girl still sat in silence, she didn't even really want to move so as not to taint the romantic mood that the dim lights of the cantina had built.

 So she absorbed the moment in silence and hoped that she would be able to talk to him soon. This went on for a long moment, and then suddenly Luke was cut off from his deep thoughts AND he saw Mone who hugged him. Only now did he notice her presence. He was surprised that she was here. Mona woke up from her lethargy and spoke again:

- Why are you hiding?" she asked.

- Mona, darling how long have you been here ?-  he replied surprised

- Listening!!!! - until she made her eyes out of surprise - Are you kidding me?" she stated, - after all, I could swear you've seen me before. This... where did you get carried away this time...? - she joked with the question

The boy watched her carefully, then smiled, at her joke. However, he turned serious again and stated.

- I was here....and you, when did you come?

Mona felt beaten down. She kissed him, hugged him, he responded or at least she thought so. And now he says he doesn't know when she came. This was very strange AND unprecedented in their relationship so far. For a while she tried to guess what had happened but analyzing it was already a bit beyond her strength. 

Apparently Luke was so immersed in his thoughts that he reacted to her automatically. She became concerned. Wasn't he overtired? Or too ambitious as she had suggested to him more than once. She looked into his eyes and tried to guess what was going on with him.

- It's been a long time, I don't know how long I've been here , but you seem to have taken off a lot. - she said with concern

- And why do you think so?

- Well....- here she hesitated- I was sure you knew I was here. After which I now see that you have strange suspensions. Something is clearly wrong. And I do not know what in your thoughts, so intense, does not allow you to find peace. Again, something is oppressing you. And I don't know what?

Luke listened carefully to what she said, much to his surprise. But something had to be on his mind, and I guess, indeed, he had drifted off hard with his thoughts. Because only now he came back to reality. He embraced her this time already consciously and said:

- Sorry... sometimes I happen to be absent. Forgive me... I don't even know when and how it happens? - he confessed apologetically - Come on... I'm taking you to the apartment you need to get some sleep. You have had a few sleepless nights.He added after a while seeing her very tired face

- Ok. I would have been asleep a long time ago if not for the fact that you disappeared?- she stated - The fact that, you are meditating does not bother me, because then I know what and how. But what I just see is, something else entirely. It's as if it's not you? Is something bothering you? - she asked with concern

- I think doesn't want to talk about it for now. - He gently looked at her very concerned face - And touched her nose, smiling.

She grimaced. Why couldn't she tell her now? Did she do something wrong? Did she overwhelm him too much? These questions did not give her peace of mind. Besides, she had the feeling that she was not herself again. The only thing she could do in this situation was to hug him tightly and hope that everything would clear up. If not now then later.