Part 13

- Han...! - hearing through the open door , that someone had entered her room.

Mona was just getting her things into her backpack. In a few minutes they were to meet at the ship. They were flying out to the distant planet of Hoth. There the base is being rebuilt. Han warned her that it is very cold there, with penetrating winds. And their hideout is being built inside a huge glacier. Here at least on Yavin 4 it was warm. Although the girl never got used to this place, the snowy, icy wilderness of Hoth already made her shiver at the thought.

- Han...!!! - she repeated again without hearing any response. She straightened up and again, as some time ago, her head spun hard, in order not to fall she quickly grabbed the railing and sat down on the bed. - What is it  - she was concerned about the situation

Since leaving the medical center , she has had these incidents. She did not tell anyone about it because she did not want to worry anyone. Sometimes several times a week. Although she worked nights again, but for a shorter period of time. while on duty , the incidents did not happen, but during the day there were headaches, visual disturbances and a strange feeling of tingling and numbness in her hands. She had planned to visit the medical center herself and ask the doctor about these symptoms , but with all the commotion of moving to Hoth, there was no time. 

As she sat and recovered, she realized she was alone. She felt a bit strange. She could clearly hear someone's footsteps, scuffling, and the tapping of boots on the floor. She would not have reacted if it had been otherwise. Concerned, she furrowed her brow. She looked at her backpack, remembered that she had something else in the drawer on the other side of the bed. She slowly rose and headed in that direction. 

From the drawer, she pulled out a sizable bundle of drawing works. Over the past two years, she had accumulated a bit of it. There were views, trees, fragments of rooms, birds, plants, and several portraits. One in particular caught her attention. She drew it with a delicate line, some time ago. Every detail, shadow, even the lights in the eyes, made the portrait look like a photograph. The subtle transitions between the shadows, blurred with a brush and the texture of the clothes, all made a perfect whole. She put maximum heart into it. 

Not only that she loved to draw, but especially that the person being portrayed, was the young commander, to whom, more and more, her thoughts were directed

Not only that she loved to draw, but especially that the person being portrayed, was the young commander, to whom, more and more, her thoughts were directed. When she tucked the file of drawings into a suitable binder and protected it from damage by putting it in a hard box, she again clearly heard footsteps. This time, however, they were not superstitions; someone had really entered her room. She turned around and saw Luke. He smiled at her as he always did; this time, Mona felt lost in his presence. 

Sometimes she felt like she couldn't control what was happening to her when Luke was around. She felt awkward, as if out of place. She hid, or at least tried to hide, what her emotions were doing to her. But, the more she tried, the more she lost this battle. The worst part was that she couldn't even and wouldn't tell anyone. She was afraid of being misunderstood, of belittling what she felt. The only person who might have guessed something was Leia.

 It happened as she brought her the letter. Mona tried to get something out of it. And there was nothing unusual in it. The conundrum for her was that Luke behaved towards her in company as he always did. So the girl felt beaten down. Explaining the incident at the medical center was out of the question, as she increasingly had the impression that it was just a dream.

- Ready? - he asked

- Yes... - avoiding his gaze , she tried to hide her emotions. She turned around, reaching for her backpack and box. She corrected a strand of hair that had fallen over her eyes and straightened up.

 She corrected a strand of hair that had fallen over her eyes and straightened up

They left the room and headed toward the hallway with the elevators. Mona was silent, which seemed very strange to Luke. He watched her from the corner of his eye. She had never behaved like this, they had always had lively discussions, and now he clearly noticed a change in her. He was concerned because it had been a long time since their last conversation via communicator. 

He also had the impression that Mona was avoiding him, or at least trying to avoid being alone with him. Could there have been something oppressing her? Or something worrying her? He had long planned to talk to her. But the move to Hoth, the duties, the frequent departures, made it difficult for him to do so. He admired her , she was a faithful, kind person. He was even more concerned that something was getting in the way of their friendship and he himself had no idea what.

The gangway was lowered , so she only corrected the backpack strap slipped over her hand again and was about to enter the ship without a word when she felt the gentle touch of her friend's hand stop her. She turned toward him.

- What's going on...- he asked in almost a whisper that for a moment, she almost lost her ground.- ...Mona...?

She completely did not know what to say. At the same time she wanted to, cry, scream, run away in terror. All at once. But she stood there completely paralyzed. She did not expect this, why just now, here. Thousands of thoughts swirled in her head. How should she respond to him. To react. Unprepared, in fear, panic and rambling thoughts, what if?-she panicked.

- Mona....- said her name again.

The girl took a few breaths, which helped calm her emotions for a while. She looked with her frightened eyes into his. She squeezed his hand. Luke tried to understand what it meant, but it was very ambiguous to him.

- I can't.? - she whispered - not now....

At these words, he furrowed his brow. He tried to make out something more, but in her eyes he saw only tears. Mona hesitantly moved closer to him and, climbing on her toes, gently brushed her lips against his cheek. Luke surprised by the whole incident, did not even try to move .

Ironically, this one gesture of hers, awakened something in him. Certain feelings, emotions, thoughts. It was nothing surprising. Mona was an extraordinary person , she had character, she was loyal. Maybe a little too emotional and sometimes very crazy.But she really let herself be liked. But was she only likeable?

This question began to dawn in his mind, for some time. He tried to answer it, but couldn't. Now he was looking at her and trying to guess what was going on inside her.

Mona quickly let go of his hand and turned toward the entrance to the ship, disappearing from his sight.