Part 25

Leia escorted an exhausted and depressed Mona to her room. For several minutes, she waited for her tears and sobs to calm down. Now it was just the two of them. Each just as uncertain about tomorrow. Mona wiped her wet cheeks and when Leia already wanted to return to her room, the girl stopped her with her hand.

 Mona wiped her wet cheeks and when Leia already wanted to return to her room, the girl stopped her with her hand

- Can we... talk?

Leia noticed uneasiness in her friend's gaze. Some shadow that she had not seen before but which escaped in her request .

- Is something bothering you?" she directed the question to her

- I have to confess something to you. But you must promise me that you will not reveal what I tell you to anyone.

- Leia, stared at her intently. After which she replied:

- Consensus. I won't say anything to anyone. You have my word. - sat on her bed close to her

Mona breathed heavily, she wanted to cry again. She took a few breaths to calm herself down again. Unfortunately, despite her hopes that this would help subdue her emotions, however, she was unable to speak calmly. Her voice betrayed a struggle with crying and sobbing at the same time.

- A few days ago I visited a medical center. I was worried about various ailments. ,I had them before, but with the move to Hoth, I could not take care of it. At the center I was subjected to meticulous examinations. I had a TC scan, a blood test, an EEG, an MRI scan because of the migraine pain attack I experienced some time ago. The test results were due the next day. But unfortunately I had to wait longer for them. Yesterday I was called to the center before breakfast. I met with the doctor and his assistant droid. - For a moment she fell silent

- Yes...- responded Leia

- I'm dying...Leia !!! - threw out a terrified girl.

- Mona... what are you saying! - she pierced her with her eyes all the way through. She took her hand and squeezed it tightly

- I have a tumor in my brain. - she confessed

- A tumour , how is this possible?"- she fell silent. Now everything was clear. That's why she reacted, with emotion.

- What can I do for you?

- Just don't betray yourself that you know anything. I beg.

- Mona I can not guarantee you discretion in the long run. You have to think about how it will be perceived, by others. Especially by Han.

- I know, but I have to get used to this thought...for now... - she couldn't speak - I ask you to keep this to yourself for a while. As soon as I am able, I will tell you.

The friend nodded and hugged Mona as tightly as she could.The girl blushed again, although this time she had already controlled her sobs. She wiped her tears, looking at one point, as if her thoughts were far away. The princess decided to stay with her until she calmed down and fell asleep. Shocked by the news , she understood her depression and the fact that she had to deal with this difficult news for her. That evening became even more depressing, not only because of the lack of contact with Han and Luke.

*

The next morning, when the sun again came out from behind the horizon

The next morning, when the sun again came out from behind the horizon. The choppers left the hangar. After the storm, there was nothing left but heaps of snow even higher than yesterday. The craft, flew over the icy wilderness transmitting signals and searching for life forms.

Mona got up early and ran to the command center. Leia, focused over the communicator, waited for any news and Mona, standing in close proximity, acceded nervously from foot to foot, biting the nail from her thumb. Precious minutes passed, the tension in the room rose sharply. The silence and concentration, were suddenly broken by a voice from the communicator.

- Echo base, here Rough Two. I confirm , I found them! I repeat, I found them.

Mona breathed a sigh of relief. The nervous tension finally disappeared from her face and a gentle smile appeared .It was not effusive but one could sense that she was relieved. Her mind was full of questions. But just the fact that they had found each other cheered her up . She ran to the hangar to greet her brother.