Part 30

Luke noticed, quite clear footprints in the snow. He did not hesitate to run after them. He knew that the girl was going almost blindly. The tracks were long and led into the desert. He fastened the tauntaun and galloped off. The snow was falling thickly, the wind howled fiercely. The weather was getting more dangerous by the minute. He became intensely concerned about her fate. If she went in such an outfit as he saw her then she was in serious trouble. With no gloves, no jacket and with her head uncovered, it was sheer madness. But Mona was like that. Crazy , unpredictable, full of fire. And at the same time she could be empathetic, caring and loving. That's how he loved her. He did not want to lose her. Despite what she had uttered to him a few hours earlier. He didn't care how long it would take to find her or if she was mad at him. He had to find her at all costs.

*

Han combed the region behind a large swath of hills. There was no indication that anyone had been here. There were no footprints in the snow and only snow and wind could be seen on the horizon. When he dismounted from his mount, he activated his life-sensing camera. But it showed nothing. He climbed onto the Tauntaun and brought the communicator to his lips.

 He climbed onto the Tauntaun and brought the communicator to his lips

- Echo seven to Echo two , Luke, can you hear me.?

- A crackling sound was heard on the communicator, after which a friend spoke up.

- Yes... Han... I hear.

- There are no traces here, she must have taken a different route. I'm turning back to the base, for a while. Then I'll join you," softness could be heard in the voice.

- I'll let you know how what?- replied Luke with concern

- It's my fault," - he softened, - I overreacted. And she ... still a kid.

- No... - could be heard -.... it's not a child anymore...Han - gently denied Luke - it's a grown-up person, a woman who just wants to be loved.

This statement surprised him, could it be that Luke proved to be more forgiving of her than he was. Or maybe the allusion was that, Mona had long since ceased to be a child, and his friend noticed this early on. Or maybe the problem was that he didn't see his sister as the woman she had become. The independent one, with a personality and maturity. No matter what the statement was supposed to mean, his friend defended her right to self-determination. And he clearly had to care about her if he was able to disagree with his opinion.

*

The thick snow and gusts of wind gave the boy a hard time

The thick snow and gusts of wind gave the boy a hard time. Despite the fact that he was still walking on footsteps, he was already very tired, but despite this he did not lack determination. His goggles were covered with snow, so Luke took them off. He stared at the nearby snow. He had no idea how far he had gone from the base. But it must have been quite a distance. More and more ominous thoughts came over him. 

The girl had vanished into thin air. The traces she left behind were completely obliterated. As one might have guessed, her shaken heart must have carried her this far. Seemingly it made no sense at all. He sat down again and climbed to the gentle top of the hill to look out over the terrain he couldn't exactly inspect. As he stood like this, he saw the clear shape of a lying tauntaun covered by a layer of snow. His heart beat hard.

 That's where Mona had to be. The distance was short some 20 meters down. Therefore, he had to maneuver the animal to avoid slipping on the steep surface. When he was very close he notified Han. After which he left his Tauntaun and noticed Mona's silhouette covered by a layer of frozen fluff. He reached her, pushed away the snow. And tried to revive her. To no avail. The girl was frozen her hands , face slightly bruised, her pulse was barely perceptible and her breathing shallow.

- Oh

- Oh... Mona... what have you done," he took off his jacket and tried to put it on the girl. He was almost freezing himself. He waited for reinforcements. And he lit red flares in the snow.