Part 12

Mona was just going to lunch when she saw the X- Wingi in the hangar. She realized that the pilots and their commanders had already returned from their missions. For a moment she wondered if her brother had returned and if his friend had too. However, she decided not to look for them for the time being, but to have a small meal in the cantina. She ordered it at the bar, then took her favorite seat. As she took a bite of hamburger with delicious sauce, she watched from behind the glass the machines that filled the hangar, which had been empty so far. The sound of the engines was very unbearable this time. 

But the girl was relieved that everyone had returned to base. She kept seeing male and female pilots in combat gear leaving their ships. The hangar became a bit of a cramped place, after a few weeks passed as it became deserted. It also became bustling with conversations and greetings. Mona finished her hamburger and sipped her tea in silence. She wondered how she should react when she saw Luke. 

She was getting a little apprehensive about this meeting, and she didn't know where this feeling came from. She had never felt anything like it. At the very thought of it, she felt panicked and unsure of her reaction. In addition, she felt like she was blushing at the very thought of meeting him. This did not bode well. At the same time, she wanted and was overwhelmed by fear. She had no idea what to do about it. She thought maybe it was the result of the fact that she missed their conversations. Or maybe also that, she hadn't seen him for a long time. She couldn't answer these questions. But their reunion is inevitable, and despite her strange feelings, she had to face it.

Leaving the cantina, she headed for the fresh air. She sat down on one of the benches and focused her gaze on the lush green trees that the wind was ruffling. It was quite windy that day. Even though they had just been through the dry season, which was slowly coming to an end.

 And the wind was the first harbinger of that. Suddenly, her communicator beeped. The sound snapped her out of her reverie, she looked at her wrist and realized that someone wanted to contact her. She panicked. Her first instinct was not to let anyone know where she was, but she decided to answer the call.

 Her first instinct was not to let anyone know where she was, but she decided to answer the call

- Yes I'm listening...- she answered uncertainly

- Mona...- she heard Luke's voice

- Yes...- with a tremor in her voice she confirmed

- It's been ages since I heard you... how are you feeling?-  his voice betrayed joy and concern

- Okay...- she answered perfunctorily, - although...sometimes...-and she stopped speaking because she understood that it is not so important at this point

- That makes me very happy. I just flew in and was hoping to see you?

- That's how I saw that the pilots had returned. I was in the cantina.

- Really... - she sensed enthusiasm - I thought you were still in the medical sector.

- No... a week ago they already discharged me.- She added

- Are you back in service?

- Well... not exactly...- she replied quickly- not full time. For a few hours.

- I understand.

There was a brief silence. Mona remembered that she wanted to thanks him and apologize for being a problem. Just before his departure. But she didn't have time. She decided to take these chances now.

- Luke...

- Yes...-  he replied curiously

- You know...sorry ...., I supposedly scared you. That was not my intention. Thank you for calling to help. ...That...you helped me,-  she stammered.

- No problem, it's my duty to take care of my friends.

- Duty... what do you mean....

Maybe I expressed it badly...listen...- he changed the subject -.... maybe we can meet today on a walk?

Mona was surprised by this proposal. Although she expected a meeting, but not in private. She felt a little uncomfortable. She breathed deeply and thought for a moment what to answer. The very thought of being alone with him terrified her, and for her it would have been better if Han or Leia had been with her after all. She would have felt a little more at ease.

Finally, she heard her friend's voice:

- Mona... are you there?

- Yes...sorry...I got confused

- So what?"-  he expected an answer to which the girl replied very diplomatically.

- Maybe we will all meet today. Because... you know... Han I didn't know for a long time either.

- Ok... I'm just close to Falcon, I'll tell him...,"-  he replied although he was slightly taken aback by her answer. However, the surprise was quickly chased away as he knew that Mona might have missed her brother.