Part 18

The next day just before noon, Mona visited Han once more at the medical center. Then she headed to the Falcon to check on Chewbacca. When she saw that her brother's faithful companion was still repairing the hyperdrive connectors, which had been unraveled for days, she decided not to disturb him and returned to her room to finally be able to scratch the ice cave.

She took her utensils in her backpack and quickly left the room through a tunnel to the south side of the base. Where it was located, a sizable cave. The plan was to put a ship repair center there but it was abandoned. Eventually now the place stood empty not counting small square empty containers, abandoned by mechanics. 

Mona took one of considerable size . It wasn't very heavy but she moved it so she could have a clear frame and not have to sit on the glacier. She sat down spreading out a still warm fluffy blanket to keep her comfortable and warm. She began to draw the outlines of the interior on a piece of paper and gently built up the space of the white and blue room. In the distance she could still hear some people feeding the Tauntauns. Or how they were preparing them for patrol. 

Mona was quiet, and her coffee stood close by in a thermal mug. Nothing distracted her. So she shaded with dashes stalactites and stalagmites from which sometimes in combination formed tall pillars of interesting shapes. All covered with a layer of ice. These pillars were at least six if not more. 

And she simply with a gentle movement of her pencil drew their unusual shapes shaded their surface, which was rough in places and transparent. The coffee had already cooled a bit so to warm up a bit the girl reached for the still-warm beverage every now and then. Her time now was the best she could offer. Her curiosity and willingness to face something she had never had the opportunity to draw made her very happy.

 Especially since no one was bothering her or looking for her. She had no idea how much time had passed since her unusual excursion. But as she reached for her coffee again, her communicator beeped. The girl was already finishing her drink put down the cup  answered the call.

- Mona...- she heard Leia's voice

- Yes...

- Where are you?-  asked a concerned friend

- In the south passage. In the cave.

- In the cave ... after all, it is very cold there, you will catch cold ...

- No ...it's ok I am very warmly dressed, and besides I needed some time alone with myself.

- I understand , Luke returned from patrol and was looking for you in your room.

- Aaa.... Ok I will get back to him right away.

- Have you seen Han?

- Yes I was with him at the medical center before eleven o'clock. He is doing quite well , but as he complains of inactivity.- she said it with a little amusement

- Knowing him, I know it can be a challenge for him

- Just so you know. He hates having to lie in bed with a bandaged leg. I explained to him that it needs to heal but you know how impatient he is. Everything upsets him. Even the fact that he can't eat when he wants to. I quietly brought him two bars of chocolate. He was very grateful to me. He hid them under his pillow.

- Clever," - she praised

- I know, it was important to him.

- Certainly...,"- she heard Luke's unexpectedly amused voice.

She got scared and then said that Luke had found her. They said goodbye and hung up. Then she turned to him and smiled saying:

- How did you find me here?

- Well, you know, I brought my Tauntaun and checked your room. Then I still had to meet with one subordinate. But the end of the day, he had to fly out quickly for a patrol. And I was not far away and heard you talking to Leia. So I didn't have to look for you anymore.

- I think I spoke too loudly.

- You know that there is excellent acoustics here. Even a whisper can be heard quite well.

- Well yes ...you're right, like a patrol ?- she turned her back to him and made room for him on the container. Collecting drawing utensils.

 Luke sat down with her and out of the corner of his eye looked at how Mona secured her drawing with hard pads, putting it in her backpack.

- Patrol well. Show? - he asked intrigued

- I haven't finished yet. - She replied with a bit of spite and moved his hand away from her backpack

- Well don't be like that and yes I know you have an amazing eye. - smiled at her and touched her red nose - but you have a cold long time here?

- I don't know, it must be  here before eleven.

- Three hours! - He replied amazed - It's after two o'clock. Although ... It will warm you up a little - And he wrapped the girl with his arms.

Mona snuggled up to him and indeed after a few minutes she got a little warmer. She didn't even notice that she was freezing, she was engrossed in drawing.

- You know...- she admitted- I guess it's good that you came, however, I was cold. - she said, raising her head and seeing his happy look and then suddenly sneezed.

- Cheers ... - it amused him - ... well it is imperative that you warm up. The point is, I'm taking you from this refrigerator to the canteen. There we will have something warm for lunch. I can't let this cave give you some excess cold - he muses on the tip of her nose.

He helped her gather her things and took the heavy backpack from her.

- Thank you,-  her joyful gaze received with enthusiasm. She took him under her arm and rested her head.

- Well, the cantina can't wait,-  he replied sweetly

They headed into the tunnel and Mona sneezed again. After which, both of them, amused by this situation, marched down the tunnel with a quick step.