2022-08-21

I saw someone yesterday that looked a little too much like Papa.

I'm not sure if it was his build or skin tone, or his beard that was gray in all the right places, or his nose that just a little big yet fit the face perfectly, or maybe it was his hair that stuck out in such a specific way, or maybe it was his fingers that looked identical to how Papa's used to, covered in dust leaving a permanent grayish colour with little black spots from working on vehicles. He dressed just like him too.

I genuinely thought it was him for just a moment.

When his obscured his eyes and I couldn't see the thing that made them different. For a singular moment, I thought he was my papa.

Which is dumb.

It's been five years, or at least it will be in November. You'd think I'd have gotten over it.

But sitting here and thinking that I was foolish enough to see him as a dead man, I cry.

Which is dumb.

They don't sound the same and they don't have the same teeth, they don't have the same posture and Papa was so much more affectionate.

I feel stupid honestly.

I froze up when I saw him. I didn't mean to. But I did. I distracted myself with Ava, my newest cousin and tried my best not to look at him.

I thought it was just me, but mum confirmed that he looked a lot like him.

I know they are not the same person, but I don't think I could actively hold a conversation with him even if I truly wanted to.

My phone won't live past tomorrow, so I'm temporarily putting these on my other account until later so I don't lose them. I'm honestly just too lazy to switch accounts right now.

My charger broke

Again

So yeah, gotta deal with it I suppose.