Chapter 31

Enjoy🧡
Vote and Comment

🔶🔸Zambia's POV🔸🔶
Saturday, November 25th
12:03 pm

A lift my head at the sound of fast-clicking heels coming in my direction.

My eyes make four with my mother Mrs Natalie Gradly-Nelson. A woman of supposedly grace, class and intellect.

She turns her eyes away from me.

I watch as she makes her way over to a doctor and asks for dad, he tells her he has no updates and she is to sit and wait.

Reluctantly she sits in a chair directly across from me.

Taking out her phone she calls dad's sister Aunty Pauline to inform her about dad's admission into the hospital.

Aunty Pauline is the only family member of dad that she likes somewhat.

And the only reason why she is even remotely close to Aunty Pauline is that Aunty Pauline is the only one out of dad's six siblings who has a stable job as a Regional Manager at Scotia Bank.

She feels as if Aunty Pauline is almost in her circle of people with money in high places so she can speak to her.

She refuses to speak to anyone apart of dad's family besides Aunty Pauline.

She gets off the call and roams her eyes in every direction but mine.

I hiss my teeth and her eyes immediately find mine.

She glances me over with a look of disgust evident on her face.

"Go to the wash area and clean up your face, you look like you're homeless" she hisses her teeth and then turns her attention to her ringing phone.

What a woman heartless
Dad is here admitted to the hospital and there isn't a look of worry on her face

Unless she is hiding it well

I take her advice as I walk to the restroom. I walk in and take a look at my face.

My eyes are red and puffy showing that I was heavily crying and dried snort is all over my face.

I turn on the faucet and wash my face, my head is pounding and I feel so weak.

I just want to take an Advil and lay down and rest, but I can't leave daddy here by himself.

I walk back out into the halls of the hospital, this might be where I work one day.

I take in the environment around me and the sad and depressing feeling of the hospital.

I remember clear as day the day I made up my mind to become a doctor.

It was a day just like this one.

FLASHBACK

"Zam, do you have your lunch kit?" dad asks as he glances at me through the car mirror before turning back his attention to the road in front of him.